Top Shred Guitarists

Yngwie , Vinnie Moore , Borislav Mitic , Joe Stump, Becker , Paul Gilbert , Marty Friedman , George Bellas.. Id throw Cooley in there, Chris Impelliteri(sp?) maybe... stuff I used to listen too but not so much now.

I'm guessing we're sticking to things more within the neo-classical shred genre? In that case...

-George Bellas-actually, pretty unique within the genre, amazing chops, a few cool musical ideas every now and then, but I do have a hard time sitting through his music. The "extreme measures" album with Vitalij slays though.

-Greg Howe-as much as the neoclassical stuff isn't what I love him for, Ascend and High definition (both with Kuprij) are pretty kickin'

-Tony Macalpine- Maximum Security was a pretty cool album, can't say I dig any of his other "shred" albums

-Marty Friedman- Dragon's Kiss is a cool album, but it's stuff like Scenes and his playing on Rust in Piece that won me over. His solo on Tornado of Souls is what made me want to take guitar seriously

-Vinnie Moore- Defying Gravity, which I actually like a lot more than his earlier stuff. He's the only guy in the genre I can still listen to consistently. Great player...really looking forward to the new album. His new Dean signature model is pretty cool looking too.

-Stephan Forte- I was blown away when I first heard him after Sanctus Ignus came out. It's hard to have a unique sound in this genre but he certainly pulls it off, and very well. His chops are out of this world.

-Michael Romeo- I think his cd was as good as an instrumental shred cd could be at that time. There are some serious chops on display there.

-Chris Gordon- my teacher back when I lived in DE....he's more over-the-top than any of these guys. He can play any style (and does...he gigs regular with various jazz, fusion, country, metal, southern rock, prog metal, and classic rock groups...plays a bit of classical guitar too), but he loves his neo-classical shit and just blows people away on it.

A lot of other guys who should be on my list that "shred", but I can't say I spend a lot of time in this genre anymore.

schenkadere- While this wont make me any friends on the forum, I admit I enjoy both Alter Bridge albums quite a bit. I'm not really sold on his lead playing, but they are a really good modern rock band with solid tunes and a great singer. But yeah, I don't really see much backing the hype about his abilities as a guitarist.

I'm guessing we're sticking to things more within the neo-classical shred genre? In that case...

-George Bellas-actually, pretty unique within the genre, amazing chops, a few cool musical ideas every now and then, but I do have a hard time sitting through his music. The "extreme measures" album with Vitalij slays though.

-Greg Howe-as much as the neoclassical stuff isn't what I love him for, Ascend and High definition (both with Kuprij) are pretty kickin'

-Tony Macalpine- Maximum Security was a pretty cool album, can't say I dig any of his other "shred" albums

-Marty Friedman- Dragon's Kiss is a cool album, but it's stuff like Scenes and his playing on Rust in Piece that won me over. His solo on Tornado of Souls is what made me want to take guitar seriously

-Vinnie Moore- Defying Gravity, which I actually like a lot more than his earlier stuff. He's the only guy in the genre I can still listen to consistently. Great player...really looking forward to the new album. His new Dean signature model is pretty cool looking too.

-Stephan Forte- I was blown away when I first heard him after Sanctus Ignus came out. It's hard to have a unique sound in this genre but he certainly pulls it off, and very well. His chops are out of this world.

-Michael Romeo- I think his cd was as good as an instrumental shred cd could be at that time. There are some serious chops on display there.

-Chris Gordon- my teacher back when I lived in DE....he's more over-the-top than any of these guys. He can play any style (and does...he gigs regular with various jazz, fusion, country, metal, southern rock, prog metal, and classic rock groups...plays a bit of classical guitar too), but he loves his neo-classical shit and just blows people away on it.

A lot of other guys who should be on my list that "shred", but I can't say I spend a lot of time in this genre anymore.

schenkadere- While this wont make me any friends on the forum, I admit I enjoy both Alter Bridge albums quite a bit. I'm not really sold on his lead playing, but they are a really good modern rock band with solid tunes and a great singer. But yeah, I don't really see much backing the hype about his abilities as a guitarist.

I agree with you about Vinnie Moore...he always had a little more something organic about his playing. I have to find Defying Gravity.

I think Rust In Piece not only one of the greatest metal albums, but also guitar albums, but I could never get into Dragon's Kiss.

I thing Yngwie's Rising Force will always be the measure for me.

Checked out your teacher's myspace...kick ass!...lucky student.

Yeah, I wasn't too big of a fan of dragon's kiss, but I figured I'd put something just a tad more relevant to the topic than Scenes:lol: and a lot better than the Cacophony albums. I agree 100% on the Rust in Piece comment.

Chris is a madman. He's played with everyone from joe stump to pat martino to Ian Anderson (I might have to upload that recording if I can't find it on the net). His solo album, Abigail's Crossing, should be coming out sometime this year but we'll see. His band, Xfusion (also on myspace), was supposed to have a release last year, but things kind of fell apart within the band so Chris and Joe decided not to release the stuff since the whole band wasn't in on it anymore. I'm just really stoked for him to get some quality recordings out. The demo stuff on his myspace isn't the best sounding in terms of recording/audio quality, though it still gets the point across. The videos he has uploaded are probably a better display of his chops (not necessarily his musicality though). I was very lucky to have gotten together with him...in Delaware no less! He had helped me get in touch with Greg Howe and I was supposed to do a few lessons with him (he lived in Easton, PA at the time), but it never happened due to my family relocating. I'm going to try, after I'm out of college, to go to LA for a weekend and get a lesson or two with him and possibly Holdsworth now that he's teaching out there too.

Trust me, if I managed to find that guy in Delaware (Vinnie Moore lives there too, oddly enough) then I'm sure you can find someone competent near you. Delaware's lameness is widely known and feared:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=N588OvzQik4[/ame]

Yngwie of course? I personally don't like Yngwie... Of course I respect him for being one of the first major shredders and stuff, but I only like few of his songs... Always the same tone and always the same licks... I'm not a huge fan of shredding which may also affect on my opinion of Yngwie.

I guess this whole thread is somewhat weird for me sincie I'm not a fan but still...

Some great guys I like:

Michael Romeo (Gotta love Michael's tone....)

Jason Becker (can't even imagine what it would be like if Jason could still play :erk: )

Paul Gilbert (some great stuff, also a great guy! :p )

Buckethead (has a completely own sound, what with the kill-switch and all, Paul Gilbert shines out from some licks though :lol: )

...and where is Jeff Loomis, Chris Broderick?!

I'm not crazy about either of those guys...great chops...just don't particularly dig what they're playing.

Has anyone seen that Youtube video of their guitar "duel"? Man, that's really horrible...I'll probably get shredded for saying that, but it's my honest opinion.

Here it is:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=G5zV-IlSvP4[/ame]

Just for the record...Loomis blows him away here.