Excellent shred instrumental albums?

Terminator X

New Metal Member
Jun 22, 2003
VA
Visit site
I am on a guitar instrumental album kick lately, and have gotten into a ton of shred albums (previously, I was not really into instrumental stuff--maybe because I am not a musician?). I can't get enough and need to be pointed in some new directions.

So far, I've gotten a lot of the Shrapnel and other neo-classical basics:
-Marty Friedman
-Jason Becker
-Vinnie Moore
-Tony MacAlpine
-Greg Howe
-Joey Tafolla

Also, a couple of more recent ones shredders:
-Ethan Brosh
-Jeff Loomis

I like the neo-classical stuff the best (my faves being Tafolla and Vinnie Moore)...

Any more albums in this vein out there I should look into?

Marc Rizzo - Collosal Myopia.... Death Thrash sounding shred instrumental... good stuff.

I think Yngwie's Rising Force may be the closest I could come to caring about this type of music, and that's probably more due to the neoclassical elements than the shred elements. Not that I've listened to much "shred metal".

True, but I felt it wouldn't do any harm to namedrop 'em.

I considered it as well. They are worthy.

Oh dear god, I can only hope things don't go south.

I fear this as well. It could change everything... but then again when you listen to their songs, you almost constantly anticipate the start of the singing, so in that way, they almost seem like they meant to have a vocalist all along.

Excellent shred instrumental seems like an oxymoron imo. I like some Joe Satriani or w/e from time to time but pure shred is just a snooze.

How was Satch not mentioned until the previous post?

Anyway, I love this song:

Pretty good album too.

Last edited by a moderator: