Shredders!!!

Mr. Shred-ididle

Its Chinese-Tilt ya' head
Jan 25, 2003
Hey Guys, I'm new here so for my 1st post or thread I wanted to make it a good one. So I'm gonna' talk about my favourite subject - SHREDDERS. Feel free to express YOUR opinions about these shredders or others or whatever. Here we go..

Tony MacAlpine - Amazing player , No question. A funny guy or so my teacher says. Great sence of pollytonality, amazing chops, great feel, a piano genius. A very busy and diverse boy from CAB (Jazz/fusion) to Ring of Fire (Neo-Classical) to Planet X (Prog) to his solo shred stuff.

Paul Gilbert - Great picking chops. Fantasic bluesy-shred solo's on Racer X.

Greg Howe - THE monter of fusion. I've got an instructional video of his and he is amazing! Amazing chops, also very good neo-classical playing on "Acsend" and Mr. Kuprij's "High Definition".

Jason Becker - Genius, prodigy period. So, so very sad what happened to him (ALS)

George Bellas - More mordern now. "Turn of the Millenium" is my top pick 'coz it is total prog rock and thats what he is best at. Amazing Chops.!!

Mike Angelo-Batio - Absoluty mind-boggling. Amazing chops. Not much else but his freekish technique is worth mentening. You should see how he looked in his 80's metal band Nitro - Hillarius:lol:

Kiko Loureiro & Rafael Bittencourt - (Angra) - Great duo in the prog/power metal band Angra. Sometimes the play very melodicly and then they will go into a great, insane shred duel.

Mike Romeo - (Symphony X) - The riff-master in my favourite band Symphony X. A really, really good player. His string-skipping and arpeggiated tapping sequences is make him stand out band.

Marty Friedman - Great player and was in a band with Jason Becker "Cacophony" Best useage of exotic scales tristed melody ever. Unfortunatly washed up on Megadeth and New-Age Music.

Vinnie Moore - One of the best 80's neo-classical shredders. Overal great technique. Very Melodic as well. Went in a bluesy - shred thing in the 90's.

Patrick Rondat - (Elegy) - Another one of the intru-mental shredders of the 80's. He got alot better as he got older. He plays very melodicly and in a simmilar fasion to Vinnie Moore in the Sympho-prog band Elegy.

Terry Syrek - Super human chops. His instructional book "SHRED is not dead" is life changing. Check him out on his website. Extreemely funny guy aswell.

Stephan Forte - (Adagio) - Sometimes he has the most heart-wrenching sustain notes that make me wanna "Go home, pat my dog, have a cry" Then he has these amazing insane shred sweeps that make yell out "Fuck yeah!!"

Francesco Fareri - The fastest man alive. A total freekazoid in his sweeps. All shred and no melody is what I heard in his mp3's but still, you gotta give him credit for being the fastest guy in the world.

Vitalij Kuprij - Although he's not a guitar player, he has the most freekish talents and complete virstosity on the keyboard. A genius. His album High Definition is life-changing.

Rusty Cooley - My fav'. He has the most amazing, ass-kicking, jaw-dropping, breath-taking licks that want me to "Stab my cat with a fork" Super human chops faster than Mike Angelo but not quite as fast as Francesco Fareri but way better.

And last and definatly least..
Yngwie Malsmsteen - Biggest ego in the shred world. You've heard one solo wou've 'em all. But he started the whole "Neo-Classical Shred" thing. Without him the shred would not be the same (Mabey for the better:confused:)

Right now I'm trying to get my hands onto some tasty fusion stuf like Holdworth, Shaun Lane, Garsed/Helmrich, CAB, McLaughlin, Al DiMeola. But i've only been listening to guitar "shred" music for the last couple of years as I'm only 14.

Now...let me hear your opinions or recomendations.
:D

hehe I knew a thread like this had to come (sooner or later :p )

You named some shredders that I really like... so let's get started.

Jason Becker-(as you said) A prodigy, he has one of the most perfect sweeping i've ever heard and you gotta hear his Cacophony stuff to beleive it.

Michael Romeo-His sweeping is great and the tapping secuences are just insane (and let's not get into his compositional skill)

Michael Angelo-I don't have much to say about him, I saw the speed kills video and my friend had to wipe the floor after that :lol:

Decapitated's guitarrist (sorry I don't remember his name)-A prodigy (the guy is just a teenager!!!) insane stuff to say the least, awesome riffs, his solos are a bit muddy sometimes, but great player nevertheless.

Ola Frenning/Peter Wichers (Soilwork)-One of the best duo's i've ever heard since Cacophony, Ola is the phrasing master and Peter is mostly the speed player. They work really well together, write some awesome riffs and the leads are very melodious.

I'll continue later, gotta start practicing now damnit :lol:

yngwies new stuff is on the boring side but nothing out there compares to his first two solo albums after that he stared sounding the same. uli jon roth is killer.and lets not forget george lynch.

Yeah Today is my last day of school holi's :mad: !!!!!!!

I saved up some money and spent it all on CD's:D at this very good alternate cd shop that is fairly far away from us (50-minute drive)

To my suprize they had a Tony MacAlpine solo CD "Violent Machine" which is fantastic. It's more fusion orientated than alot of his other works.

Then I saw Angra CD "Hunters & Prey" which i don't know hpw it is 'coz the stupid bimbo working there put the wrong CD in the case.:mad: (I'll just have to send it back up and they'll send down the right CD)

Then I saw Saventage's Wake of Magellanwhich I'm slowly getting into.

Then to my utter amazement saw "Warmth in the wilderness vol.2 - Tribute to Jason Becker" which has some Cacophony and Becker cover's some originals. It has some of the best playing from less established "Shredders".
It features Terry Syrek Playing Jason's "Temple of the Absurd" - one of the heaviest riffs going through the song while Terry go's absolutly sphyco. The most insane shred and heaviest riffs I've heard. No ofence to Mr. Becker - but Terry plays it better than Jason.
It also has my fav' -Rusty Cooley lpaying his original "Peace of mind" ONE OF (IF NOT) THE BEST INSTRUMENTAL SHRED SONGS I'VE HEARD!!!
Ithas some other great guitarists aswell but I'm to lazy to mention them :D

CHEACK OUT RUSTY COOLEY & HIS SOUND CLIPS On www.rustycooley.com/audio.html

AND CHECK OUT TERRY SYREK & HIS SOUND CLIPS on www.terrysyrek.com/music.html
Also buy his book "SHRED - is not dead" It is very good in developing not just picking, sweeping, legato and tapping technique. But also Melodic ideas, improvising, theory, modes, exotic scales, odd-time and signitures and alot more.

Pleas look them up - you won't be dissapionted.
And tell me what you think of them:p

Someone in Australia with those tastes in guitarists? :eek:

I grew up on Vinnie Moore, Yngwie etc, and I've recently heard some of Tony's work after I wrote a song on an album he played on. He is a very very funny guy!

These days I still listen to Vinnie, but Brett Garsed, Frank Gambale, Allan Holdsworth, Steve Vai and John Finn are where it's at for me.

Hey, since you've got a rare taste in music for someone from our neck of the woods, maybe you'd enjoy some of my work, available at the site in my sig.

Hey, Chris
Finally an australian that shred's or is into shred. I'm going to check out your site and CD after I post this little reply (I won't go on and on and on like I have before.)

But I urge you guys to check out Rusy & Terry.

Keep in touch

I checked out a few of the guys you have told me about.

Marcus Paus- This is a CRAAAAAAAAAAZZY :eek: :eek: son of a bitch :OMG: :OMG:

Chris Brooks - I know you from the Ring of Fire forum but I didn't know you play guitar. You play guitar well (VERY WELL!!)
Its great to see an australian shred like that!!!

Damn It - I forgot Jeff Loomis of Nevermore (I ment to put him in). Great proggy/thrashy riffer with amazing lead shred work sometimes simmilar to Mike Romeo in a good way.

I also forgot other guys like John Pretucci, James Bird, James Murphy, Rob Johnson, Chriss Impelletteri, Steve Vai (If you call him shred) But I think my list was long enough.

BUT WHY ISN'T ANYONE LISTENING TO RUSTY COOLEY & TERRY SYREK!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: (I'm not really that angry - just kinda ticked off)

Originally posted by Mr. Shred-ididle
I checked out a few of the guys you have told me about.

Chris Brooks - I know you from the Ring of Fire forum but I didn't know you play guitar. You play guitar well (VERY WELL!!)
Its great to see an australian shred like that!!!

Thank you! I'll be playing some guitar on Mark Boals' next solo album too! If you haven't already heard his current solo album, it's called "Edge Of The World" and I'm on the opening track "Fly".

Chris

Vogg from Decapitated - excellent writer, not just your average Death metal guitarist, his solos are excellent, seen decapitated live twice, he is spot on every time!

Dimebag Darell - one of the best riff writers IMO, also a great soloist.

Marty Friedman - Excellent guitarist but like Mr. Shred-ididle said, he was kinda lost in Megadeth < shame.

Scott Ker - Ive heard him cover a lot of stuff, great guitarist, check out his site www.guitardominion.com

Of course Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen but i dont think i need to go into that ;)

Cool! There are a lot of guitarists I don`t know (I will check them!)

And now, I`ll add a great Shredder from my home country to this list. Her name is Carina Alfie,... she great!
She is playing since late 80`s. But never got the attention she deserved until in 1997 she was invited bu STEVE VAI to jam live in his show (here in Argentina).
:OMG:

I guess that now you are quite interested about what she`s all about... So go to her homepage: www.carinaalfie.cjb.net
And check her songs at: www.mp3.com/carina_alfie_songs

Enjoy it!!;)