Carl Tidemann Anyone?

G-Master

Insatiable Madman
Aug 2, 2004
Elysium
I'm not actually new to these forums. I've been a spectator of your posts for two years ... I just now decided to register. Anyway, most of you guys seem cool as hell and actually open minded, unlike many forums out there. Ignore the name, I don't have a huge ego. I look forward to many conversations with fellow musicians and metalheads.

So, allow me to start a new thread. I mainly ask because I don't often if ever see the band Winds mentioned on this forum. I have to say they're my latest obsession, I purchased "Reflections of the I" a few weeks ago and it's nothing short of brilliant. The songwriting is great, and the violin, viola, and cello accompanying the band provides a great classical touch. Which is what got my attention in the first place.

Secondly, the band's guitarist caught my attention. Tidemann is full of talent, and in my opinion is one of the most underrated or least known virtuoso guitarists that is out there right now. His chops are clean and precise, his speed is outstanding. Yes, there are times he sounds similar to Malmsteen, but he does a better job at it than any others I have heard. He is original though you can hear the influences at times. In a way he reminds me of a mixture between Malmsteen and Petrucci, with a little Becker in there at times.

Anyone that hasn't heard the band ... give them a try. Great neo-classical progressive metal.

Yes, Winds are great, I got pulled in by them with Reflections of the I as well. The new album (The Imaginary Direction of Time) is quite a bit heavier and darker in atmosphere.

The philosophical inclination of the lyrics also make for a pleasant listening experience.

But... they're not neo-classical. "Officially" they're considered avant-garde metal, and more importantly they infuse Romantic-era influence into their music, not really Classical.

I was innitially impressed with Tidemann, but I find that he lacks...feel. But that's easilly made up for by the string section and the beautifully dynamic piano.