Yngwie is still the man

kazahana said:
By your "logic" anyone who has invented, discovered or developed anything doesn't deserve significant credit for their work. Better start revoking Nobel Prizes - "You've done great work, BUT SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE DONE IT"

Olympic events would take on a whole new meaning. Who would decide who got what medal? "So this guy won? Well he does deserve some credit for allowing others to finish after him, but if he hadn't, then the guy who came in last might have instead. Better give that guy gold just in case..."

What sort of crazy view is that? How can you say that with any degree of cetainty unless you possess a time machine and malicious intent? Even if Becker or MacAlpine doing what Yngwie did instead of Yngwie was likely, they still didn't do it. So ALL the credit goes to Yngwie.

Well, if you think that someone playing neo-classical solos over 80's power metal is comprable to someone winning a nobel prize, then maybe this is the argument for you to be involved in. In an Olympic race, you aren't dealing with people doing/inventing new things, you are dealing with a clear cut race with someone clearly winning and others clearly not winning. This also isn't comprable to the debate at hand. Maybe i can't give solid evidence that other guys were doing what they did before Yngwie released an album, but I can make enough inferences to say that its likely. Conversely, you can't give me solid evidence that some of the guys mentioned previousley weren't doing the shred thing before Yngwie or that they wouldn't have done it if not for Yngwie.

If you want a situation that you can compare to the Yngwie debate.....how about the issue of Frank Gambale and economy picking. Did he invent the technique? No, there were others who applied the concept to their playing years before Gambale began publishing books/videos on the technique. Gambale simply was the first to really study and promote the technique and popularize it.

Of course i could be wrong about everything I am saying. All I'm doing is making logical inferences based on research and information made available to me otherwise. What you fail to realize up there on your high horses is that you are doing the exact same thing

Another example to Meedley's point could be the guy who "invented" the Power Chord. He didn't actually invent it. He was just the first to put it to use in a new, and apparently also, a revolutionary way. Any nitwit who knows anything about music theory knows that it's just a perfect 5th. It's been used for centuries.

Another point I saw out of Meedley is that there were most likely guitarrists who were doing Neo Classical Shredd around the same time or before, but Yngwie was the first to develop on it, master it, and play it over lightning fast speed metal. And Speed Metal was the biggest thing in the 80's, so obviously, to combine the 2 most dificult styles of music was to turn water into wine.

The Yngster said:
He's not saying that Yngwie invented shred guitar, he's saying that he made it popular and has inspired more people than any other shredder. Or maybe he's not saying that at all, i didnt actually read any of the thread

the latter. Django Reinheardt was "shredding" in the 1920's. My argument is that Yngwie was the first guy to come around in the metal genre to sound the way he does, that being, neo-classical metal or whatever. And he created such a defined sound that he is emulated left and right, and now whenever someone plays anything sounding remotely neoclassical the first thing people usually think is "that sounds like Yngwie." Not "that sounds like (insert random shrapnel dude)."

Yngwie is an original, thats the bottom line. It doesn't matter if he hasn't changed his sound one iota in the past 20 years, he came out with a fully formed original sound that influenced just about every metal shred guitarist that came after him. Seriously, read down the line of just about every big (or not so big) shred metal guitarist thats come after him and I bet you at least 90% of them will tell you they're influenced even the tiniest bit by Yngwie. Even Buckethead in his FAQ section of his site says he was influenced by Yngwie. Someone with that much influence over an entire genre of music most certainly deserves credit for that, even if you're not a fan of him. He's not my favorite guitarist (Romeo is, which Im sure anyone who's heard me play can probably hear that) but Yngwie definitely gets my respect for what he's done.

Yngwie deserves a cookie, and if he were standing here right now, I'd definitely give him 2, and probably 3. Ever since I started listening to him, I've been trying my hardest to add a lot more of a neo classical edge to my playing, as well as my writing as a whole.

ptah knemu said:
Another example to Meedley's point could be the guy who "invented" the Power Chord. He didn't actually invent it. He was just the first to put it to use in a new, and apparently also, a revolutionary way. Any nitwit who knows anything about music theory knows that it's just a perfect 5th. It's been used for centuries.

Another point I saw out of Meedley is that there were most likely guitarrists who were doing Neo Classical Shredd around the same time or before, but Yngwie was the first to develop on it, master it, and play it over lightning fast speed metal. And Speed Metal was the biggest thing in the 80's, so obviously, to combine the 2 most dificult styles of music was to turn water into wine.

Thanks for actually getting what i was trying to say

Yngvai- I agree that Yngwie had a pretty large influence and that he popularized the style...........I only disagree with the idea of him inventing the style and being the first anywhere in the world to do it. Agree to disagree?

Meedleyx10 said:
Yngvai- I agree that Yngwie had a pretty large influence and that he popularized the style...........I only disagree with the idea of him inventing the style and being the first anywhere in the world to do it. Agree to disagree?

Yea, its gonna go around in a circle if we don't ;). Although I admit that saying he was the first anywhere in the world to do it is stretching it...there could be some guy in peru that was playing like that in 1974 for all I know :D...But I think its without a doubt that he was one of the first to put it to tape for the world to hear...

Cool man.

BTW, our little debate reminded me that I had been meaning to ask you....Did you ever finish your album? I don't read too deeply into this or other forums very often, but remember you mentioning it a while back and I was definately interested in checking out.

Also, you took or take lessons from Joe Stump correct? Ill be going to berklee in the fall (i had my audition last week........went pretty well, but ill know for sure next week). I know Stump is teaching out there, and I was just curious as to how good of a teacher you think he is. I love jazz/fusion and play it as much if not more than I do shred-metal, but it would definately be nice knowing I would have someone out there more into the shred-metal scene to help me balance out the other stuff.

I can answer that too. He is the best tezher and an half an hour lesson with him inspires me more then anything. His methods and the way he explains stuff is very effective and ifnot for anything a legend is playing in front of you that beats everything. Very nice guy too

Meedleyx10 said:
Cool man.

BTW, our little debate reminded me that I had been meaning to ask you....Did you ever finish your album? I don't read too deeply into this or other forums very often, but remember you mentioning it a while back and I was definately interested in checking out.

Also, you took or take lessons from Joe Stump correct? Ill be going to berklee in the fall (i had my audition last week........went pretty well, but ill know for sure next week). I know Stump is teaching out there, and I was just curious as to how good of a teacher you think he is. I love jazz/fusion and play it as much if not more than I do shred-metal, but it would definately be nice knowing I would have someone out there more into the shred-metal scene to help me balance out the other stuff.

Album's all done, theres two full streaming song clips that can be found at www.myspace.com/mattmoliti . Im in the process of trying to find a record label to release it right now. A whole bunch of promo kits were mailed out earlier this week so hopefully I'll get a response soon :).

Stump is a great teacher and a great guy too. If you want to brush up your shred chops, definitely take some lessons from him. Hes also not as one dimensional as some people think. The guy can pull off some great Hendrix-inspired blues playing and he knows a lot about jazz as well (he was a jazz guitarist before he started playing metal).

Matt, I'm listening to the songs on your MySpace, and I must say your guitar solos just kicked me in te face. They're that good. And they're one hell of a wake up call also, especially after waking up at 1:00 in the afternoon

Also, your teacher sounds alot cooler than mine.

ptah knemu said:
Matt, I'm listening to the songs on your MySpace, and I must say your guitar solos just kicked me in te face. They're that good. And they're one hell of a wake up call also, especially after waking up at 1:00 in the afternoon

Also, your teacher sounds alot cooler than mine.

Thanks dude! All the tracks have some pretty cool solo sections, especially the instrumental, which kinda sounds like SymX meets Becker meets Dimmu Borgir ;).

I don't take lessons from Joe anymore, just when I went to Berklee a few years ago. I'm a teacher myself now :).

I don't really like the redone solo Mike Romeo plays in Of Sins and Shadows live, but as far as I remember all the other solos are played the exact same as they are in the studio, with exception to a few keyboard/guitar dual leads that are added, such as the thing right before the last chorus in Evolution.

Yngvai X said:
Yea, its gonna go around in a circle if we don't ;). Although I admit that saying he was the first anywhere in the world to do it is stretching it...there could be some guy in peru that was playing like that in 1974 for all I know :D...But I think its without a doubt that he was one of the first to put it to tape for the world to hear...

Yes, Yngwie deserves a cookie and I do agree that he was one of the first who put to tape his solos and songs! I think, there are some things which influence man to start playing like Yngwie, I wanna say that guy from Peru could do it (maybe) but ai!- he is not in the same boat- no good teachers, no good concerts, idols and information! I don't wanna say that someone is better than Yngwie (but conditions), Yngwie is a cool one. he worked hard, I mean that probability that someone in Peru could do it before Yngwie is little!

Yngvai X said:

Yes, Yngwie deserves a cookie and I do agree that he was one of the first who put to tape his solos and songs! I think, there are some things which influence man to start playing like Yngwie, I wanna say that guy from Peru could do it (maybe) but ai!- he is not in the same boat- no good teachers, no good concerts, idols and information! I don't wanna say that someone is better than Yngwie (but conditions), Yngwie is a cool one. he worked hard, I mean that probability that someone in Peru could do it before Yngwie is little!

ptah knemu said:
Double post.
I sad about PROBABILITY in general, about that years, nowadays the situation changed but it's too late, Yngwie already did it or some one else. The invention game nowadays became more difficult , cause many things already done, invented, but from the other side, we've got more satellites to orient ourself. Although, I was't in Yngwie's boots, maybe I'm not right, it's better to ask him. Yngwie, was it difficult to invent shred? :Spin:

ptah knemu said:
I was just pointing out that your post appears twice on my computer.

Sorry man, I did't see it! I saw it only now, it wasn't like that the best of my memory! :confused: