Yngwie is still the man

Damn I was gonna go to that...my friends said it was insane, one got a broken string and a pick.

Is it me, or does anyone else here start crying whenever you listen to Yngwie?

Which doesn't have to, but can bring back what I said. Guitarrists should all just take one of their songs, and just add a full improvised 6 1/2 minutes to it in the middle of a gig once in a while.

Luis said:
Yngvaix´s conclusion: If a guitarist doest know how to improvise, he sucks.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth :rolleyes: When did I say that?

Being able to improvise well shows a greater overall command of your instrument than someone who can't. Thats why fusion players usually kick the shit out of metal guitarists when it comes to improv, because the nature of jazz is improv. But that doesn't mean someone who can't improvise well sucks.

MJR's song written envolves much improvisation...and the one that he lieks the most/saounds best witht he song gets put it! Yes he does reherse for a live show, but as an all out band experience Symphony X makes Malmsteen look like an infant in a crib! Symphony X, whether it be your style or best guitarists or best keyboardists/vox have one thing that most bands do not... An INCREDIBLE live performance where they actually sound BETTER than they do on the studio versions... Malmsteen can sit their and improvise random noise at 1,000,000 light years a second for all I care-doesn't mean you're good! That been sayed I don't dislike Malmsteen, but his work is far from anything to cry over! Sure he has some amazing talent, but you can't classify Malmsteen with Romeo or another guitarists who actually know how to write very intereasting music that keeps you captivated...so he is still lacking in many departments...sorry!

proulxski said:
MJR's song written envolves much improvisation...and the one that he lieks the most/saounds best witht he song gets put it! Yes he does reherse for a live show, but as an all out band experience Symphony X makes Malmsteen look like an infant in a crib! Symphony X, whether it be your style or best guitarists or best keyboardists/vox have one thing that most bands do not... An INCREDIBLE live performance where they actually sound BETTER than they do on the studio versions... Malmsteen can sit their and improvise random noise at 1,000,000 light years a second for all I care-doesn't mean you're good! That been sayed I don't dislike Malmsteen, but his work is far from anything to cry over! Sure he has some amazing talent, but you can't classify Malmsteen with Romeo or another guitarists who actually know how to write very intereasting music that keeps you captivated...so he is still lacking in many departments...sorry!

i kinda agree with you.i saw malmsteen almost a month ago,and he was so motherfucking loud .the vocals were not audible,even his guitar sounded kind of fucked up(too bassey ,the notes sometimes would get totally lost in the noise)

i respect your opinion, and im going to try to be as unbiased as possible................but the only three things i agree with are 1: the comment about fusion players 2: yngwie is passionate and 3: he has excellent vibrato

what exactly are your standards for good improvising? By mine, yngwie is mediocre at best. His phrasing is redundant, his note choice is overly predictable, and we've heard all of his licks at least 25,432,234,543,234,554,274 times already. His improvising always consists of the same or similar scalar runs with the occasional same or similar arpeggio patterns. Just listen to the jams in the G3 live in Denver, it pains me to listen to those just because Yngwie makes such a fool of himself.

I understand the whole "having his own, definitive style" thing, but its gotten old. Dont get me wrong, I love some of his stuff, but as far as his improvising skills are concerned, I have to respectfully disagree with you.

Meedleyx10 said:
i respect your opinion, and im going to try to be as unbiased as possible................but the only three things i agree with are 1: the comment about fusion players 2: yngwie is passionate and 3: he has excellent vibrato

what exactly are your standards for good improvising? By mine, yngwie is mediocre at best. His phrasing is redundant, his note choice is overly predictable, and we've heard all of his licks at least 25,432,234,543,234,554,274 times already. His improvising always consists of the same or similar scalar runs with the occasional same or similar arpeggio patterns. Just listen to the jams in the G3 live in Denver, it pains me to listen to those just because Yngwie makes such a fool of himself.

I understand the whole "having his own, definitive style" thing, but its gotten old. Dont get me wrong, I love some of his stuff, but as far as his improvising skills are concerned, I have to respectfully disagree with you.

I think you are deaf man.

proulxski said:
Malmsteen can sit their and improvise random noise at 1,000,000 light years a second for all I care-doesn't mean you're good!

Eh.. light years aren't speed, they're distance.

control-denied777 said:
i kinda agree with you.i saw malmsteen almost a month ago,and he was so motherfucking loud .the vocals were not audible,even his guitar sounded kind of fucked up(too bassey ,the notes sometimes would get totally lost in the noise)

The sound quality wasn't too bad at B.B. King's. I think Orange Sky's sound was a little better though, mostly because the first thing they did when they were setting up for Yngwie was turn up the volume.

Matt, I agree with everything you said in the original post, with the exception of the band sucking now. Even though I could be wrong, wasn't really paying attention to the drummer or bassist or keyboardist. But Doogie White is a good vocalist, in my opinion.

soulshred said:
I think you are deaf man.

*sarcasm on*

umm......okay. That argument definately convinced me that i was completely and blatantly wrong. Good one.

*sarcasm off*

Feel free to explain why I am deaf, I really am more than willing to hear you out

I thought this would be a good time in this thread to bring something up, I don't know, maybe it isn't.

Recently we as a forum decided not to have any Vs. threads, which doesn't seem to have any relevance here, but that is only the letter of the law (if I’m remembering correctly the difference between the spirit and letter of the law). The spirit of the law would suggest that any pointless argument that goes on is not something that we as a forum want to have. Now whether or not we chose to go by either is not my choice, but it seems to me that if you don't agree you could either not say anything (since this seems to be a thread celebrating that Yngwie is still the man, not asking whether or not he still is), Or you could keep an open mind and not just state your opinion over and over again.

I'm not trying to be an ass, it just seems like nothing has changed except we don't have "vs." in the title of threads now.

Valgeir said:
Eh.. light years aren't speed, they're distance.

You are correct in saying a light year is not a measurement of speed. However, he said x number of light years per second. That, my friend, is speed. ZINGERRRR

Well, I think it's no doubt that Yngwie is a true master - he's shred and sweep you can distinguish from thousands other guitarists. And he is very charismatic! Yes, I do agree with a people who say "Yngwie stop playing this thing I,ve heard 10 or 20 years ago!" Yes, sometimes :Spin: he repeats - So what? But I never agree with people who say that Yngwie is a bad melodist, its not true! So, he's still a man. As for MGR - THE GREATTTTTTTT!!! Not every guitarist can do so clean - fast - interesting! I was on the Judas Priest - last week in Moscow - so, KK and Glan can't play like MGR. But should they? So every one plays his licks (even Petrucci), the matter - how many licks you have?

MC Pee pants said:
I thought this would be a good time in this thread to bring something up, I don't know, maybe it isn't.

Recently we as a forum decided not to have any Vs. threads, which doesn't seem to have any relevance here, but that is only the letter of the law (if I’m remembering correctly the difference between the spirit and letter of the law). The spirit of the law would suggest that any pointless argument that goes on is not something that we as a forum want to have. Now whether or not we chose to go by either is not my choice, but it seems to me that if you don't agree you could either not say anything (since this seems to be a thread celebrating that Yngwie is still the man, not asking whether or not he still is), Or you could keep an open mind and not just state your opinion over and over again.

I'm not trying to be an ass, it just seems like nothing has changed except we don't have "vs." in the title of threads now.

This is a Vs. thread? I thought it was just Yngwie is freakin' KRAZY at guitar.

No, you misunderstood. It should be a Yngwie is "freakin' KRAZY" at guitar thread, but people are just acting like they do in a vs. thread. Not everyone either, it just seems like if you don't agree you could keep your opinion to yourself, or be open-minded.
I guess it could be a vs. thread in that it's Yngwie vs. all other guitarists mentioned here. But I for one would agree that Yngwie is still the man, and would hope people could just be happy and revel, if only briefly, in his abilities.

Meedleyx10 said:
*sarcasm on*

umm......okay. That argument definately convinced me that i was completely and blatantly wrong. Good one.

*sarcasm off*

Feel free to explain why I am deaf, I really am more than willing to hear you out

I just cant understand how you can call him a mediocore improviser and how cant you and some poeople cant hear and see how amazing he is good at it.