Top Ten 2022

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Is that time of the year again, and many know the drill, but there have been newbies coming lately.

Write your top (10 minimum, no maximum) list of albums, concerts, videos, for 2022.
No bashing, no hit and run comments, all lists are valid in the eyes of the poster.

I post mine usually on Dec 31, but anyone who like put it before is welcome. This thread will be "sticky" until Feb 2023 and then will have its own rotation.

Gawd...I am still working on getting reviews done. I haven't even come close to finalizing my Top 10 list yet. And I have one due to one of the sites I write for in just a couple of weeks.

It should be interesting to see what everyone's list looks like this year.

Reactions: mdmatt4ever
I've mostly been listening to local/friends' releases as usual. I've only got a decent list of 10 if I include all genres:

1. Ripship - Fearsome Engine (psychedelic rock)
2. Exordium Mors - As Legends Fade and Gods Die (black/thrash)
3. Bleed This Earth - The Slow Decline (funeral doom)
4. Dawninsection - Hollow Beings (death/black)
5. Battle Beast - Circus of Doom (heavy metal)
6. Static Abyss - Labyrinth of Veins (death metal)
7. 5gMeatsuit - What About the Giants? (alternative rock)
8. Sophia Harvey - Sludgewave (sludge/industrial)
9. Mr. Toxic - Sea of Sirens (hip hop)
10. Flout - Bosheit (electronic/industrial)
11. Psychodrama - The Flicker of a Moth's Wing (electronic/industrial)

I'm seeing one more live show for 2022, a punk band next week. Not sure if I'll bother making a top 10 concerts list though. Odd year given I missed some local faves due to covid or untimely postponements, Vader postponed, and one local band I'd been hanging to see ended up jamming without their drummer when I saw them, and now I think they've broken up...

edit: added Static Abyss to my list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyvern and CiG
does anyone have a website with a list of most of the hard rock/metal releases of 2022? it's hard for me to keep track of what year some stuff came out and what i bought prior to july

@mdmatt4ever The RateYourMusic chart is good for that. Enter the genre you want (or don't want - you can exclude specific subgenres too) in the box under 'Customize Charts'. After including you can also choose 'Either' instead of 'Genre' to include albums with that genre as a secondary influence. After adding the genre you can untick "Include sub-genres" if you like. Then hit 'Update'.

For example, here's a chart of albums that are either hard rock / heavy metal, but excluding albums only categorised in subgenres of those: https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2022/g:exact,heavy-metal,hard-rock/

thank you to @Bloopy

my top 10 of 2022. no live albums or reissues . just numbered 1-10 but not ranked

1 jizzy pearls love/hate- hell ca
2 scorpions-rock believer
3 def leppard-diamonds and halos
4 king's x- three sides of one
5 megadeth- the sick, the dying and the dead
6 ozzy osbourne- patient number 9
7 sammy hagar and the circle- crazy times
8 the cult- under the midnight sun
9 skid row- the gangs all here
10 stryper- the final battle

haven't heard the new releases by ugly kid joe, leatherwolf, lillian axe, slipknot, joe lynn turner or michael monroe. lots of good stuff this year. some great new non hard rock releases by willie nelson, neil young, john mayall and red hot chili peppers

Reactions: Wyvern
I'm still planning on writing an article length piece about my Top 10 CDs of 2022. But KNAC released the list of the staff's picks and my list is part of it. You can check out my list below, but if you want to read everyone's list, here's the link.

My list is:

01.) Sabaton - The War To End All Wars (Nuclear Blast)
02.) A-Z - A-Z (Metal Blade)
03.) Black Swan - Generation Mind (Frontiers)
04.) Scorpions - Rock Believer (Vertigo)
05.) Leather - We Are The Chosen (SPV/Steamhammer)
06.) Queensryche - Digital Noise Alliance (Century Media)
07.) Billy Idol - The Cage EP (Dark Horse/BMG)
08.) The Guitar & Whiskey Club - The Guitar & Whiskey Club EP (The Orchard/Sony)
09.) Love In Chains - Everyday Heroes (Idora Entertainment)
10.) Saxon - Carpe Diem (Silver Lining)

Honorable Mentions:

Def Leppard - Diamond Star Halos
House Of Lords - Saints And Sinners

OK, here I come:

Heavy Metal

1. Saxon – “Carpe Diem”
2. Alestorm – “Seventh Rum Of A Seventh Rum”
3. Kreator – “Hate Über Alles”
4. Satan – “Earth Infernal”
5. Hammerfall – “Hammer Of Dawn”
6. Wolf – “Shadowland
7. Toxik – “Dis Morta”
8. Blind Guardian – “The God Machine”
9. Avatarium – “Death Where Is Your Sting”
10.Tokyo Blade – “Fury”
11.Renacer – “Siembra Y Cosecha”
12.Avantasia – “A Paranormal Evening With The Moonflower Society”
13.Killers – “Noeuds De Têtes”
14.Xentrix – “Seven Words”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hard Rock

1. Lana Lane – “Neptune Blue”
2. A-Z – “A-Z”
3. Nordic Union – “Animalistic”
4. Ellefson-Soto – “Vacation In The Underworld”
5. Praying Mantis – “Katharsis”
6. Jorn – “Over The Horizon Radar”
7. Ronnie Atkins – “Make It Count”
8. Joe Satriani – “The Elephants Of Mars”
9. Nazareth – “Surviving The Law”
10.Birth – “Born”
11.Steve Vai – “Inviolate”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Progressive Metal/Rock/Fusion

1. Time’s Forgotten – “Shelter”
2. The Tangent – “Songs From The Hard Shoulder”
3. Derek Sherinian – “Vortex”
4. Anima Morte – “Serpents In The Fields Of Dreams”
5. The Flower Kings – “By Royal Decree”
6. Juan Pablo Calvo – “Páramo”
7. Alberto Chaves – “Mental Pesado”
8. Star One – “Revel In Time”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EPs

1. Death Dealer – “Fuel Injected Suicide Machine”
2. Night Demon – “Year Of The Demon”
3. Metalucifer – “Heavy Metal Ninja”

Concerts

· Time’s Forgotten (3)
· Juan Pablo Calvo Project
· Sin Paredes

Concerts are still scarce around here. So everything is local.

I was hopeful for albums from Blind Guardian and Xentrix this year but in the end for me they just didn't pan out for me. Other albums that didn't pan out for me this year were Effelson and Soto (couldn't stand the vocals), Corspegrinder (nothing outstanding) and Riot City (no where near as good as their debut).

In the end I didn't have enough 'not metal enough' albums to make a reasonable list but I did like Ozzy's album, Ugly Kid Joe's album, and two Aussie bands, The Chats and Hoodoo Gurus.

But as far as a top 10 goes it's something like this.

1. Evil Invaders - Shattering Reflections
2. Schizophrenia - Recollections Of The Insane
3. Motherslug – Blood Moon Blues
4. Korrosive - Toxic Apokalypse
5. Razor - Cycle Of Contempt
6. King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard - Omnium Gatherum
7. Megadeth – The Sick The Dying And The Dead
8. Alestorm - Seventh Rum Of A Seventh Rum
9. Tankard – Pavlov’s Dawgs
10. Kreator - Hate Über Alles

Heavy Metal

1. Saxon – “Carpe Diem”
2. Alestorm – “Seventh Rum Of A Seventh Rum”
3. Kreator – “Hate Über Alles”
4. Satan – “Earth Infernal”
5. Hammerfall – “Hammer Of Dawn”
6. Wolf – “Shadowland
7. Toxik – “Dis Morta”
8. Blind Guardian – “The God Machine”
9. Avatarium – “Death Where Is Your Sting”
10.Tokyo Blade – “Fury”
11.Renacer – “Siembra Y Cosecha”
12.Avantasia – “A Paranormal Evening With The Moonflower Society”
13.Killers – “Noeuds De Têtes”
14.Xentrix – “Seven Words”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[

I don't know what it was with the Blind Guardian album, but I just could not get into most of it.

Hard Rock

1. Lana Lane – “Neptune Blue”
2. A-Z – “A-Z”
3. Nordic Union – “Animalistic”
4. Ellefson-Soto – “Vacation In The Underworld”
5. Praying Mantis – “Katharsis”
6. Jorn – “Over The Horizon Radar”
7. Ronnie Atkins – “Make It Count”
8. Joe Satriani – “The Elephants Of Mars”
9. Nazareth – “Surviving The Law”
10.Birth – “Born”
11.Steve Vai – “Inviolate”

I was thinking of getting that Ronnie Atkins album since I liked the first one. I just never got around to it.

Concerts

· Time’s Forgotten (3)
· Juan Pablo Calvo Project
· Sin Paredes

Concerts are still scarce around here. So everything is local.

You are doing better than me with concerts. The only concert I "saw" was a livestream of the band Illusory from Greece. But I've got tickets to two shows for 2023 so far and hopefully I'll be able to go.

I don't know what it was with the Blind Guardian album, but I just could not get into most of it.

In my case I really like it, gone are the fastidious orchestrations. Not a great, but a good return to form.

I was thinking of getting that Ronnie Atkins album since I liked the first one. I just never got around to it.

The first one is better than this. But the last song worth the album.

You are doing better than me with concerts. The only concert I "saw" was a livestream of the band Illusory from Greece. But I've got tickets to two shows for 2023 so far and hopefully I'll be able to go.

Glad you have something for this year. Nothing worthy so far here (besides the occasional local performance).

In my case I really like it, gone are the fastidious orchestrations. Not a great, but a good return to form.

You're going to love this. I took another listen to the album today and it actually clicked with me for some reason. I wrote about it HERE!

Glad you have something for this year. Nothing worthy so far here (besides the occasional local performance).

Kix and Helloween. I've got until April for the first one to get physically ready to be at a show.

You're going to love this. I took another listen to the album today and it actually clicked with me for some reason. I wrote about it HERE!

Kix and Helloween. I've got until April for the first one to get physically ready to be at a show.

Kix still around? Helloween played with Hammerfall in October, I should have gone for Hammerfall, but I was jaded.

Kix still around? Helloween played with Hammerfall in October, I should have gone for Hammerfall, but I was jaded.

Hammerfall is the opening act for them when I see them as well. And yes, Kix is still quite active. I missed them last year, making up a show from 2 years ago, but I'm seeing them this time.

just not a lot of shows near you or no time?

2022 i saw these shows
1 night ranger (acoustic)
2 l.a. guns (tracii/phil version)
3 faster pussycat
4 mudvayne/static x/powerman 5000/rob zombie

i want to say i saw 1 more concert

just not a lot of shows near you or no time?

2022 i saw these shows
1 night ranger (acoustic)
2 l.a. guns (tracii/phil version)
3 faster pussycat
4 mudvayne/static x/powerman 5000/rob zombie

i want to say i saw 1 more concert

Actually neither really. I was still not ready to go back to shows because of COVID concerns. Smaller club shows with a lot of people I know that mouthed off how they'd never get vaccinated or big shows with thousands of people just weren't my thing.

Then I got hurt and missed a couple of shows that I would've risked going to later in 2022 but I could barely stand or walk so I had to miss those as well.

Actually neither really. I was still not ready to go back to shows because of COVID concerns. Smaller club shows with a lot of people I know that mouthed off how they'd never get vaccinated or big shows with thousands of people just weren't my thing.

Then I got hurt and missed a couple of shows that I would've risked going to later in 2022 but I could barely stand or walk so I had to miss those as well.

understood. hope things get better for you

understood. hope things get better for you

Physically improving. Cautious about going to shows and I will wear a mask. But I missed Kix once already for a ticket that was supposed to be for 2020 and since Helloween doesn't hit the States all that often, I'm not missing them. Saw them the last time around and it was an incredible show.

Physically improving. Cautious about going to shows and I will wear a mask. But I missed Kix once already for a ticket that was supposed to be for 2020 and since Helloween doesn't hit the States all that often, I'm not missing them. Saw them the last time around and it was an incredible show.

is the show in the maryland/DC area?