Tornadic storm damage in Atlanta 3/14

stay safe Magius and all northeast of ATL.

and this is lovely - they are now showing a cell moving east from the Heflin, AL and Bremen, GA area directly toward my HOUSE! :ill: They're already reporting up to 2" sized hail from this cloud and possible tornadic activity. Temple is in that path also Ostracized. I'll keep you posted.

watching this closely. I'll check in again soon.

Hope you're okay, Hoyt -- lots of hail with that storm, but the BTI on that storm is low enough right now to exclude a tornado. *whew* By now I think it's gotten to 6 Flags and Charlie Brown Field. Lots of plane damage we'll be hearing about, probably. 3-inch hail predicted by Channel 2's excellent doppler radar. :yow:

Two confirmed fatalities so far. (In Rockmart, I think.) :(

EDIT: tornado confirmed with this storm now as it approaches I-285 and downtown. Again. :cry:

yeah, we're ok here. Once again it skimmed just south of us - about 7-10 miles - along the Paulding/Douglas lines. But they were saying a possible tornado was on the ground in the D'ville area and then moved toward Six Flags and like you said is bearing down on the middle of Atlanta in the next few minutes.

I called friends of mine along the path of the latest two on the west side (Villa Rica to Douglasville and further north from Acworth towards Roswell) and everyone's safe. Keith 'DragonKlaw' just called to check in with me. He's in the Villa Rica area, which received some hail damage. :( But he and his daughter are fine.

We're watching the activity everywhere around ATL closely before we head out to Gwinnett in a couple more hours.

Hoyt probably just got hit by some severe hail. I hope his place is okay.

And another tornado apparently hit the same areas as last time.

I hope everyone is OK in the Atlanta area. For those of you in that area, if you hear the sirens, head to the storm cellar. If you do not have one, go to the basement and stay in the SE corner of it, as twisters usually go from SW>NE. Bring with you a flashlight, bottled water, bettery powered radio, and spare batteries.

Good luck and stay safe!

Hoyt probably just got hit by some severe hail. I hope his place is okay.

And another tornado apparently hit the same areas as last time.

thanks for checking on us, but fortunately for us it stayed about 7-10 miles south of us and moved along I-20 east again.

James just called to say it did about the same where they live in the VA Highlands area of Atlanta. So he and Kathy are ok.

Just had a close call here...looked to me as if the worst passed just south of me here in Auburn (western Barrow County). As the storm passed, I heard a low, but continuous sound of thunder in the distance...which might have indicated a tornado. The Weather Service's tornado warning stated there was one. :yow:

Update on the Tabernacle: www.ajc.com is reporting that most of the windows were blown out (and some were nice stained glass windows), the roof is 'severely' damaged, at least one pipe burst inside and the venue took water damage. According to the building manager, it will be a while before they reopen. :(

Dodged a few bullets here in Woodstock/Cherokee. Watched a few nasty ones cruise just north of us through Canton on towards Cumming, and of course, the mess that's still rolling through downtown Atlanta (one after another). It's been nice and sunny here, as if nothing happened, for almost 2 hours now. Looks like things will clear up enough to head to Sweetwater later, but we'll be keeping our eyes open until then.

--Mike

yeah, been sunny here off and on since I last posted.

and the meteorologists expect the few clouds north of the ATL area not to intensify as badly as earlier. But as I stated before, please keep checking to make sure you feel safe before heading out anywhere.

I know EbS has just left the west side to head to Sweetwater for load in. We'll be leaving in the next half hour. Hope to see many of you there.

and by the way, I hope our ProgPower Family in the Carolinas are batting down the hatches. All of you please stay safe through the night. Looks like it may get pretty rough there now as well.

Thats not good about the latest news about the tabernacle, it didn't look too bad on the news but you can't go by that i guess, I wonder if they will be able to get it in shape for Gigantour in April and Dream Theater in may?? thats awful i hate this happened but glad no one got killed. So sad about Atlanta right now.:(

Yeah I was in downtown last night and it was pretty bad. A lot of damage just down the street from me (Suntrust Building, Tabernacle, GSU) but it looks like GATech was completely spared, luckily. Sucks about the Tabernacle though, there are some great shows coming up and that is my 2nd favorite venue in Atlanta. Hopefully it recovers quickly.

We had a tornado on the west side of the Cape Fear River this evening, about ... 8:30 pm - my store actually got a call from the loss prevention department to keep an eye out in case something developed over by us. It stormed like a scorned bitch for about an hour, but nothing worse than that, fortunately.

Wow what a mess, to say the least! I hope ya'll are alright!!! Last night I was talking to MetalOperaChick until she had to sign off due to the massive electrical storm over her house late last night/early this morning. We were talking through a voice chat system and I could hear the thunder through her microphone, loud and clear! Some wicked storm! o_O My question is, the reports aren't sure if it was a tornado or not. Just curious, what else could possibly cause that much damage in that pattern?

Haha yeah that was pretty crazy how you could hear it!

Today we had the sirens go off because there was a Touchdown around GA 400 or Alpharetta HWY i can't remember which, around exit 14. I'm exit 10 so that's about 4 miles down the highway from me. It was going the other direction though. Other than that nothing really came our way. Alpharetta was just kinda sitting around watching all the devastation today lol. There were tornadoes all around us and bad weather...meanwhile we had showers on and off and the sun even came out with the birds chirping lol!

I just worry for other people! :( it was like a massive train of storms one after the other down I-20. How crazy!

Update on the Tabernacle: www.ajc.com is reporting that most of the windows were blown out (and some were nice stained glass windows), the roof is 'severely' damaged, at least one pipe burst inside and the venue took water damage. According to the building manager, it will be a while before they reopen. :(

Oh no!!! I had no idea about that! Surely it should be okay by the time the Gigantour comes around April 20th though...right? lol

Glad to hear everyone came out relatively unscathed. That did look like some nasty stuff. For what it's worth, at least the bad weather came through in the daytime (or evening, on the first night) when everyone is awake - or close to being awake, sorry Pellaz.

Up here, we severe storms fairly often. And it seems to me that they usually come through in the overnight hours. If I had a dollar for every time a severe cell blew through us at 2am, I could buy some nice noise cancelling headphones to block out the sound!

Ken

It was beautiful and sunshiny where I was in Gwinnett pretty much all day yesterday... go figure!

But we are all now "tornado survivors" apparently. Love the hysteria the media create/give in to. :p

Hmmm. I live in Gwinnett and we had storms all day up until 5 pm. As I stated earlier we got pounded by a large hail storm at about 2:30. I'm so looking forward to calling my insurance company tomorrow.

I just have one question: How do guys in the Midwest and the South deal with the constant tornadic activities? Last year, an F-1 hit Brooklyn about three miles from me (My Sister-in-Law saw it touch down behind her home!) And we were all running around like chickens without heads ("This Ain't Kansas!" screamed the NY Post the day after.) How do you guys deal with the constant touchdowns year after year without going insane? Or, moving to a less volatile area?

Peace,
Ray C.