Track from my melodeath bands full length - please critique my production/writing!

GhostUnholy

Aug 16, 2007
Hey guys,

My band, Skies of Strife, just self released our new full length "The Rise and Fall" a month ago. I produced/engineered it (my first project!), and then it was mixed by James Miller at The Surge Recording House and mastered at Spectre Mastering. This is the 4th track from it:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2159465/04 Blood Money.mp3

As this was my first attempt at engineering a project myself, some feedback would really be helpful. The drums are just awful in my opinion, and I really want to track drums professionally next time even if I do the rest myself. I was limited resource-wise but given my lack of experience, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Also, any opinions on my writing would be appreciated!

Not bad the mix, but the drums are not so good. Crashes/overheads not so good
Sometimes doublebass has some of the machinegun effect.
I like the clean guitar solo, its amazing :) also from the recording, i can hear the picks

hey!
got power, but i dont quite like the rhythmguitar sound...maybe theres some freqs I dont like
and yeah, i guess theres just 1 sample for the kick, am i right? machinegunish, as tronix allready said.
maybe too much hights on the overheads? think its too brilliant...
acoustics sound very cool imo

cool stuff

cheers!

Hey, thanks for the replies guys!
We didn't have the resources to track drums well so unfortunately everything is triggered, including the cymbals. And yeah, only 1 sample for the kick. I really had no idea how to handle drums and will have to do a lot more reading before the next recording. Mago, I think i might know what you mean, i feel like there's a little harshness in the rhythm guitar sound.
Interestingly the acoustic sound is just my cheap simon and patrick acoustic recorded with an AT4040 through the presonus firestudio preamps, and a little eq. In terms of the pick sound, I wasn't sure how to get rid of that, is that just about playing cleaner, or is this something you can fix with tone/eq?

Hey, thanks for the replies guys!
We didn't have the resources to track drums well so unfortunately everything is triggered, including the cymbals. And yeah, only 1 sample for the kick. I really had no idea how to handle drums and will have to do a lot more reading before the next recording. Mago, I think i might know what you mean, i feel like there's a little harshness in the rhythm guitar sound.
Interestingly the acoustic sound is just my cheap simon and patrick acoustic recorded with an AT4040 through the presonus firestudio preamps, and a little eq. In terms of the pick sound, I wasn't sure how to get rid of that, is that just about playing cleaner, or is this something you can fix with tone/eq?

@ OH: so what's the problem lowering the volume or taking out some Highs then?

@ Kick: I once read here somewhere that if you only have 1 kick-sample try making a few others by tuning down and up a few cents.

@ acoustic: you mean the one from 2:46? best way to get rid of picking sound is: use your fingers ;) but guessing that it could get a bit difficult in that case, try searching the freq with the EQ and then lower it a bit

cheers

Observations:

-I think the vocals could come up a bit.

-Do you have Drumagog or anything like it? You could very easily get rid of the machinegun effect on the kick with a simple 2 sample .gog file.

-In the clean part the kick drum totally does not jive IMO.

-Best tone in the song is during the clean segment :p

Unique composition though, I like your writing style :)