track nuber pole, to keep things in perspective

My own material (symphonic blackened death/power/progressive metal) can get up in the 60-70 track count pretty easily. A punk band I am recording is only going to be 20 tracks, at max. All depends on the mix and whats going on.

Anywhere from 20-40 tracks usually.

[UEAK]Clowd;9189329 said:
how you guys are getting by on less than 20 is beyond me.

+1, I'm using like 12-16 tracks for drums, usually 14-16 on average, 2-4 rhythm gtr tracks, any random number of lead tracks or just layers/harmonies/etc., two bass tracks (amp and DI), anywhere from at LEAST 4 vocal tracks up to 12 vocal tracks...

well fuck me and call me marry hehe....

i'd love to see someone handling 120 fucking tracks....

this is just the basics, I'm by no means amazing, but i don't understand how you could get by with anything less in a modern metal production.

By not having clean guitars, clean vocals, triggers, cymbal close mics, dual tracking rythyms and using 2-3 vocals tracks you wouldn't be using half of that. Not saying there's anything wrong with your workflow, but I think most of us get by with much less.

(track list)
this is just the basics, I'm by no means amazing, but i don't understand how you could get by with anything less in a modern metal production.

Because I:

1. Don't spot mic cymbals.
2. Don't use triggers.
3. Don't use room mics.
4. Don't mic the hats.
5. Didn't count aux tracks, as I consider them not tracks. :lol:
6. Don't ever need 15 tracks for gang vocals (seriously? I have maybe 8 tops unless the band is retarded with them and there is more than 2 sections that need it, less is the norm for me).
7. Usually don't have any clean guitars in the songs I record.
8. Nix the DI tracks in my mind and when I go to mix, I suppose if you wanna count tracks when I'm tracking, yeah I'm a lot higher (I just save a new project with them deleted off the project while keeping them in the pool).
9. I consolidate as much as possible. I don't have vocal tracks separate for verses or choruses. I would rather automate than have to deal with more tracks.

Just saying, different strokes I guess.

Because I:

1. Don't spot mic cymbals.
2. Don't use triggers.
3. Don't use room mics.
4. Don't mic the hats.
5. Didn't count aux tracks, as I consider them not tracks. :lol:
6. Don't ever need 15 tracks for gang vocals (seriously? I have maybe 8 tops unless the band is retarded with them and there is more than 2 sections that need it, less is the norm for me).
7. Usually don't have any clean guitars in the songs I record.
8. Nix the DI tracks in my mind and when I go to mix, I suppose if you wanna count tracks when I'm tracking, yeah I'm a lot higher (I just save a new project with them deleted off the project while keeping them in the pool).
9. I consolidate as much as possible. I don't have vocal tracks separate for verses or choruses. I would rather automate than have to deal with more tracks.

Just saying, different strokes I guess.

i think i like that approach better.
simplicity is geniousity.

3 people gangs definitely need alot of takes and that's usually how many people get in on em. I was just using the session I had open in front of me. Obviously come mixing time the dis are either used and the originals canned or vice versa. The triggers are useful for editing, triggering gates and other things. I usually double up on all vocals, hence a and b and the tracks are set up in such away because alot of vocalists like to trail their previous line across the next. Esp for byd style vocals.

The only time I've done gang vox, we had 4 tracks(2 takes with stereo miking).. but then again we had like 10 people over that day, so it just depends on the size of the group..

-P

well, scratch the trigger tracks, because buying drumagog is probably cheaper than the triggers and extra inputs needed to track the trigs (or just record the drums right)

also, logic comes with a drum augmenting feature which im sure most daws do now.

im not sure, what the point of recording both a d.i and a miked track? If you can re amp, you might as well just get a d.i and reamp, then you can try different sounds.
bigger is only better to a certain extent. it is possible to be too tall for fuck all.

depending on the style of music, and the seriousness of the project I use a practical amount of tracks. but there is no point making extra work for yourself. Huge track counts may impress clients, but if you layer too much things can get hectic.