tracking an Ep all in one session

topsoul182

Dec 18, 2009
Ive read on this forum that a lot of people track more than one song in a session.

If I record lets say 10 songs in one session, would it cause more cpu dropouts than just 1 song recorded in that session?

depends on the amount of plugins that are required to mix all the songs. but there is always the option to freeze tracks. I'm working on an album for a band right now: 10 tracks, one session, no problems. I will keep doing it like that :)

depends on the amount of plugins that are required to mix all the songs. but there is always the option to freeze tracks. I'm working on an album for a band right now: 10 tracks, one session, no problems. I will keep doing it like that :)

okay thanks a lot

not really the right sub-forum to post this dude ;)

This is the Equipment section

sorry about that, i figured it was a computer based question and i thought its more equipment

if an admin wants to move or even delete this post its fine i got my answer

depends. i tend to do EPs in one session, and with full albums i usually track them in a couple of projects (lets say 3 projects a 3 songs for a 9 track album), do all edits and get the mix ready, then go back to one giant session for the mix.
to me it helps with the overall consistency of the album. it's so easy to switch between songs, you might find something that works great on one track that you can apply to another track, plus it saves me all the fx chain copy/paste stuff....
as for cpu aspects, well it's mostly the edits and crossfades that tend to go heavy on the cpu. once you consolidated everything and made the whole thing nice and clean it should be a breeze though. if you're working with ampsims, render them to a new track so you can take off the plugs.
honestly, with everything consolidated and rendered it doesn't really matter too much if there are 1 or 10 songs in a project. you're just working with comps, eq, reverb, delay etc, basic mixing stuff, so there's nothing too cpu straining imho

I do prepro/tracking in one session for it all (core instruments; drums, bass rhythm gtrs, lead/melody gtrs, lead vox + harmonies, keys if applicable), and usually get a rough mix going, then duplicate the project into new folders for each song, delete other songs from sessions so it turns into one song per session, and then do misc tracks and whatnot, as well as the final mix.

I do prepro/tracking in one session for it all (core instruments; drums, bass rhythm gtrs, lead/melody gtrs, lead vox + harmonies, keys if applicable), and usually get a rough mix going, then duplicate the project into new folders for each song, delete other songs from sessions so it turns into one song per session, and then do misc tracks and whatnot, as well as the final mix.
Wow, that must take quite some time to setup the individual sessions. Save project as..., deled the tracks, move the remaining tracks to the start...

I do everything in one session, even my bands last cd which was 9/10 songs! One I've got the basic mix down I then save alternate sessions for each song so I can mess with stuff and not effect the other songs.

As long as you consolidate your edits as you go you'll be fine.

Wow, that must take quite some time to setup the individual sessions. Save project as..., deled the tracks, move the remaining tracks to the start...

Nope, copy/paste the folder the song is in multiple times, rename the project folders. When you open up a song to work in it in the first time, highlight and delete the other files, delete unused files, and don't move the track tot eh start - that would be unnecessary. I just leave it where it is, hovering in the middle of the project.