Tracks I can compare my mix to?

DrGleason

Apr 9, 2008
Near Chicago, IL. USA
Hey there. I am working on getting my mix better than a C- and I was wondering how people check their mixes with other recordings. Does anyone know of any good metal tracks (say a guitar track) I would bring into Pro Tools and compare it from there? :kickass:

That depends on what you want the track to sound like (genre etc.)
Take something that you are familiar with and that you like

Well I was mainly wondering if there were any guitar tracks floating around that I could import and compare my guitars to. I am having a hard time getting a decent to good sound so anything metal would work for me. I am still sort of getting off my feet with this stuff and this would help quite a bit. I put a post on the rate my tone section and I was using an Engl Powerball. Had a hard time getting it sounding good.

I've tried that a bunch actually but I would rather hear just one guitar track compared to mine so I can hear it clearly. I have compared tracks a bit but it's hard to get some similar guitar tones.

I suggest making yourself a reference cd. That's what I did and don't know how I lived without it.

Here's an example of some of the tracks and how I use them....YMMV.

Arch Enemy- End Of The Line

This song is my guitar reference and also a good mix reference. The tone may not be for everyone, but for me it's some amazing stuff that I always like to check against what I'm doing.

Korn- Here To Stay

This is my low end reference. The cd is retarded for low end that's clear and tight. I usually use this track to check different rooms/speakers when I'm mixing somewhere other then my place.

Testament- Down For life

This is mostly a balance checker. I like the way everything is clear and the overall levels. I use this on late nights when I might be turning things up way too loud.

Just an idea....

i think you guys don´t understand what he´s actually asking ;-)
he´s looking for just a single reference-guitar -track to compare,not a whole song with drums,bass,vox etc...

try the LAMB OF GOD-sacrament producers edition

there you have drums,guits,vox,bass seperated from each other....really cool!

cheers,p

Why don't you just find a part in any song that you like where there's only one guitar playing and make a loop out of it?
I usually use the "chuggachuggah" part after the first chorus of no compromise when tracking thrash metal for instance.

unless you have the inside scoop on a unmastered real pro grade individual group mix the lamb of god producers is as close as it gets. sucks that they are mp3s but regardless.

im also pretty sure everything is unmastered which helps as well because a lot of finalized nuances as well as general dynamics are from mastering when using a reference cd.

the lamb of god thing is cool because the guitars sound like shit isolated but sound good in the mix. you learn a lot of cool tricks if you spend the time importing the tracking into a daw and really dissecting it. the vocals are pretty crazy as well. you hear all the automation that goes on for different parts on the drums also.