Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Transmission0-0
Go Kart Records-GK 112-2004
By Josh Phillips

transmission0_cover.jpg

Rising out of the ashes of Dutch hardcore act Reveal, is Tranmission0. 0 is the band's debut album and sees them mix lengthy soundscapes with elements of hardcore. Drifting in and out of minimalist passages with spoken word vocals and into heavy barrages of sound is Transmission0's style and they play it well.

"Journey" is the opening piece and begins with an eerie, minimalist guitar passage. After it runs its course, the vocals break in with hardcore shouting and some heavier riffs before returning to said passage and drifting in and out of these two styles. About 3 minutes in, the band breaks into a nice groove and keeps with it through the five minute mark before returning to creating mysterious soundscapes. This track is a very good overall example of what the band has to offer. Following is "Vs. Vampire" and it starts out dark and moody with clean, dissonant guitar sounds fleeing in and out of the track. The vocals join in about a minute and a half in, purely clean, actually sung vocals that lead into a quick upbeat, catchy burst that slows and fades away. Showing nicely the ebb and flow of the album that the band has constructed. Next is "San Miguel" and it begins on an entirely different note, bursting out of the gates with the occasional infectious guitar melody before breaking it down with a death growl. An aggressive clean vocal attack follows and song pounds its way to a close. One of the more wholly aggressive cuts on the album. After a short interlude "The Return" strikes out with an epic guitar lead and later emotional clean vocals lead the way. This is one of the catchier tracks on the album and though I haven't listened to much Tool, I have a feeling fans of that band might enjoy a piece like this. "Dust Like Sand" is another somber, melancholic song. Very spacey, like a walk over the moon. "Serenity", like the title states is a tranquil, relaxing journey. Throw this on when you need something somber and enjoyable. The last track is essentially a funky beat played over and over, an entirely ambient piece.

Highlights include "Vs. Vampire", "The Return" and "Dust Like Sand", though the album as a whole flows very well.

A solid release, though some may find it to be too artsy or bland. The atmosphere is there and for a release like this, that is what's it's all about. Don't come in expecting more than gentle soundscapes with the occasional burst of heavy music, and you won't be disappointed. Turn off the lights, throw this CD on and absorb all it has to offer.

8.75/10

Official Transmission0 Website
Official Go Kart Records Website

It is artsy and bland. I had to rouse myself from slumber a couple times while listening to this. o_O

Artsy-fartsy slowcore bands just don't cut it for this metalhead...