Trap Them 'esque Guitar Sound

AboutBlank

Nov 27, 2009
Berlin, Germany
A band, I'm currently recording, is chasing the Trap Them sound (Crown Feral).

This is a little out of my comfort zone and I have a rather hard time dialing the sounds in, as my go to profiles won't work obviously.
In fact it's not even close...

Tried a bunch of profiles, but haven't found anything similar. They're using Ampeg V4 amps, has anyone came across a similar one? And more concerning: a similar cab- (emulation).
I have access to a Torpedo Studio right now, which I could borrow from work. So a mix between KPA and Torpedo would be possible if someone has a good idea.

For the HM2 sound I have a Dunwich modded HM2 here.

I'm quite interested in this too as I'm starting again a dbeat/death metal project, Stopped it for a too long time and it's time to get shit done with again (especially as I'm more confident with my productions skills now!)
Anyway, I have a stock MIJ HM2 and kemper too so our rigs are quite similar!
Came up with this today, on a little riff just to see what I could do, if you're interested I can provide more info!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35898899/dbeat.mp3

Sure, tell us!
I have a similar sound going right now, though.

But the Trap Them sound is quite different, more "gentlemen like" if you will.

It's hard to dial in a sound that has the HM2 character but is smooth and tight at the same time.

Yup,I can see what you mean,that sound reminds me more of what Dan Swanö gets with the HM2,it's more harsh and scooped than what Ballou usally does...
The thing is, I don't think Kurt uses the usually SM57 to get that gind of sound, nor a mesa cab, so most profiles are indeed far from that kind of tone!

In that sample, I used a free profile (3 Monkeys Orangutan, I thought the raw sound was closer to what I wanted than what I had with other ones), and my HM2 with level and bass maxed out, as for treble and gain they are at the kind of "breaking point" there is in the sound with the HM2 : near 8-9 on treble when the sound just starts to get a little nasal sounding, and 2-3 for the gain,just where the high starts to comme in the sound...
I tried to describe it as precisely as I could as the settings are so sensitive on around these zones, and also depend on the pedal itself!

I'm curious as for what you came up with until now too?
And I knew Dunwich did their own take on the HM2,not that they modded original ones, what does the mod do?

Listening to the guitar tone without all the post eq I did,it really sounds far closer to what Trap Them sounds like,but I really can't get it to be as tight without being muddy in the 500-800Hz zone...