trigger question

xtranscendedx

Nov 25, 2005
IF i were to trigger right into a mic pre into the daw instead of going thru a module into the daw will i loose a ton of dynamics?? Also i really only plan to trigger the kick.So should this still work ok? From what i understand when you hit the drum the trigger sends a "splat" or a "spike" signal out of the trigger.

p.s. i would use drumago for sounds in the pc.

I'm not sure, but I'd like to know as well. My Digi002 only has 4 preamps, so if I can just run the triggers into the line-ins rather than the pre's, that'd work out nicely.

gumplunger said:
Thanks, I'll give it a shot both ways and see what happens.

One more thing, you may want to turn down the input gain on the line ins. I use the 001 and the last thing you want is for those suckers to start clipping as that can turn to a real mess and you lose most if not all of your dynamics.

Andy Sneap said:
run the trigger into a mic pre, thats what I do

Do you run a module in between the triggers and mic pre?? i want to use just the triggers right into the computer then use drumagog to plug in sounds.Will triggers straight still give good dynamics?? just as good if uyou used them with a modul ie ddrum4? or alesis dm5?

Does anyone have a preference for a specific brand/model of triggers to record straight into the DAW?

I seem to notice ddrum mentioned the most. Is there much difference between the ddrum redshots and the standard (more expensive) ddrum triggers other than an XLR connection?

I'm probably going to buy some in the next few weeks, so any info would be great.

edit: Ok, I guess I could have looked here first:

http://www.clavia.se/ddrum/padstriggers.htm

But any anecdotes and witticisms are still highly encouraged.

What triggers are good/bad? I've seen people use everything from $2 playing postcard piezo elements to really expensive shit. Are Redhots good or bad for example? They seem to be in the middle of the price range.

EDIT: Whoops... I just asked almost the exact same question as black sugar.

TheStoryteller said:
What triggers are good/bad? I've seen people use everything from $2 playing postcard piezo elements to really expensive shit. Are Redhots good or bad for example? They seem to be in the middle of the price range.

EDIT: Whoops... I just asked almost the exact same question as black sugar.

I wouldn't recommend the DDrum redshot for a number of reasons including:

- VERY annoying to set up
- Sometimes they don't sit on the skin properly
- They are disposable. On my last tour, after about 15 shows one of the kick triggers just died... I got the better model now and they are rock solid.

I'd recommend:

- DDrums triggers (NOT redshot)
- Roland (I don't know what are they called)
- And.... there's a company in Brazil making VERY cheap triggers that looks like DDrum but are green. I don't know what are they called, but Daray from vader has got them and said they were pretty good.
- Make your own with old telephones (like I did when I couldn't afford triggers) :D

Actually I'm not big on triggers. I'm sure some other guys here will know better.

Go for the heavy-duty ddrum triggers. I recently had the discomfort to work with one ddrum trigger on one of the bassdrums and a roland on the other. Wish I could post a clip with a comparison of the two but I don't have the soundfiles left. Bottom line though, the ddrum triggered so much better. I use them all the time!