Triumph reunites!

Close to both your ages as well. I never did get to see Triumph when I was in high school. I would love to see them. Great group.

Fucking sucks that for as old as I am (38), I never once got to see TRIUMPH live. You can bet your ass I'll remedy that situation when they finally bring that reunion show to the States.

DITTO, man

NEVER able to see them live and my brother and I have been fans for the LONGEST time....

I truly NEVER thought I would EVER have the chance to see them play live - I was jumping around like an idiot yesterday when I just happened to 'stumble' across the reunion info

I will roadtrip anywhere ion the east coast in 09 to see them.

Gil Moore still runs the studio they established (Metalworks) as far as I know.
Rik has been working steadily, doing live dates, putting out a host of studio and live CDs, mostly jazz oriented.

As for Rik's 'head up his ass', that is a BS statement. He had legitimate problems regarding song writing credits, $$, and the direction of the band. Listen to the difference in the songs HE wrote as opposed to Moore. Moore was always a more straight ahead rock and roll 'we're gonna party and drink all night' kinda writer. Rik was definitely more 'progressive' not only in guitar work but in his lyrical topics. It was always obvious who wrote what songs after a few lines.... and Rik's stuff was always my favorite anyway.

basic example of Moore vs. Emmett lyrics:

I Can Survive (Moore)

My teacher told me, "Boy, you're no good
because you don't do what you should
You better shape up, or you're gonna fail."
But I said, "I'm leavin', cuz this is a jail."
An' I know what you're thinkin'
But don't pity me, oh no
I'll be better off out on my own

Stranger in A Strange Land (Emmett)

To feed the heart's addiction, in answer to my soul
It may not be the best of worlds, but it's the only one I know

In the shadow of Damocles' atomic sword
We learn to live with fear
Stringing out lives of quiet desperation
We're all just strangers here...
Riding along on the razor edge
Burned in the acid rain
Groping in the darkness, searching for a way
To fill the empty space inside
And between us all...

After they 'hit' in the early /mid eighties and radio started changing, the record company wanted them to turn out more songs aimed at being radio hits and Moore seemed to want to go right along with that. (Look at 'Sport of Kings' - some good tunes on there but WAY too much interference by the 'suits' and a watered down final result)

Everything culminated when they did 'Surveillance' and Moore apparently re-cut songs of Riks the way he wanted them to be without telling Rik. He just got so fed up, he had to walk. And as majorly bummed as I was when I heard they were done, nowadays I can definitely understand why he bailed.

Anyway, besides Riks amazing guitar playing and soaring vocals, one of the best thing the band had going for it was Moore and Rik both being singers. 'Killing Time' off Thunder 7 is an amazing song with each alternating singing a section.

NEVER SURRENDER and THUNDER 7 are imho two of the very BEST in their catalog

ALSO note - two missed song gems are EMPTY INSIDE and MINDGAMES - the two bonus studio tracks on the STAGES live album

Oh man, I would love to see these guys do some US shows. I saw them in Buffalo when I was a teenager. I know that Rik made an appearance a few years ago at the Niagara Guitar Fest (I did not see his set). What a great trio!

I always said I was born ten years too late. There was a classic hard rock wet dream of a stadium tour back in 1983 I would've killed to see, but I was only 14 years old. It was:

STYX (headliner)
Blue Oyster Cult
Ted Nugent
Triumph
Sammy Hagar

Man, I'd kill to see that same tour today regardless of bands differing personnel from "back in the day".

I would love to see Triumph again.... Went to a couple of their shows back in the 80's and it was pure energy.... Not to mention one of the LOUDEST shows at the time. :headbang:

Since you asked...they're a canadian progressive hard rock power trio, big in the 70's and 80's. Not quite as progressive as Rush, perhaps a little closer to Who in their blues rock/power chord approach, with tid bits of say ELP and Led Zepplin for good measure. If you like progressive hard rock from this era, Triumph is an absolute must. Rick Emmitt, the guitar player and the main front man, was not only one of the most diverse and respected in guitarists in rock at the time, but easily has one of the best and most distinctive voices in rock.

Here are there classic discs:

Rock & Roll Machine (1977)
Just A Game (1979)
Progressions of Power (1980)
Allied Forces (1981)
Never Surrender (1983)
Thunder Seven (1984)

Enjoy...

thanks for the heads up, I'll be checking this stuff out soon.

I would love to see Triumph again.... Went to a couple of their shows back in the 80's and it was pure energy.... Not to mention one of the LOUDEST shows at the time. :headbang:

Actually, when I think back on it -- the year I saw Triumph on the "Never Surrender" tour here in Dallas that is about the loudest show I can remember attending. Now I know whom to blame for my deafness! :headbang:

I also saw them some years later on "The Sport of Kings" tour so I consider myself very fortunate to have seen them in concert twice. I'd go without hesitation if that can put together a tour.

I always said I was born ten years too late. There was a classic hard rock wet dream of a stadium tour back in 1983 I would've killed to see, but I was only 14 years old. It was:

STYX (headliner)
Blue Oyster Cult
Ted Nugent
Triumph
Sammy Hagar

Man, I'd kill to see that same tour today regardless of bands differing personnel from "back in the day".

That would be the 1983 Texas Jamm which I saw as a young [FONT=&quot]Whippersnapper[/FONT].

1983 (Dallas - June 18, Houston - June 19):

* Styx (Kilroy Was Here tour)
* Sammy Hagar
* Ted Nugent
* Triumph
* Uriah Heep

Trivia: Ted Nugent and Rik Emmett joined Sammy Hagar on stage for their version of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love." Tommy Shaw recalls these shows as being some of the worst of his career. He claims to have feared for his life as his band was performing a play after some of the best hard rock bands of the day had performed.

A picture of the "Whole Lotta Love" jam is in Triumph's Stages album. Overall it was mixed show. Styx absolutely sucked. By that stage in their career they were washed up and Tommy was self-medicating. DeYoung Pink sport coat was a joke. Also the stage performance did not work in a stadium. The sound was also poor and most of the audience was too far away to see the details. But the worst part for Styx was having to follow Sammy Hagar after he brought the house down. The man ruled the show and was manic on stage climbing the lighting rigs. I walked out a Triumph and Hagar fan for life.

But the worst part for Styx was having to follow Sammy Hagar after he brought the house down. The man ruled the show and was manic on stage climbing the lighting rigs. I walked out a Triumph and Hagar fan for life.

Still, the best show I've ever seen (not a fest) was Sammy Hagar on VOA with Krokus opening. That guy is a fantastic showman. Seeing Triumph on the Thunder Seven tour was up there in probably the top 5 too.

BTW, have you guys seen this: http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/295843?:headbang: (just read the last three paragraphs)

+1 (well almost, I'm 39)

Youngsters! I turned 40 last year :)

This is great news...Triumph was one of my favorite bands throughout Jr. High and High School, and I never had an opportunity to see them live. I really hope the tour goes on as planned, although a lot could happen between now and summer 2009...

Youngsters! I turned 40 last year :)

You don't look a day over 39! :lol:

This is great news...Triumph was one of my favorite bands throughout Jr. High and High School, and I never had an opportunity to see them live. I really hope the tour goes on as planned, although a lot could happen between now and summer 2009...

I'll be turning 39 this year, so I can relate to this. I really didn't attend concerts much before high school, and more later on in life. So this time around I'd see Triumph if they breezed through the DC region! :kickass:

I saw Triumph in 1982 with Aldo Nova, Blue Oyster Cult and Journey at the Pasadena RoseBowl. Hell of a show! i hope the Sweden Rock reunion goes well therefore giving us a greater chance of a NA tour.

I was at this english pub me and my buddies always go to last night and they have this digital jukebox they put in last year

I had been telling my one buddy over dinner (who had never heard of Triumph before) how amazingly stoked I was about the reunion after 20 years

So later at the pub I am scrolling through looking for something to play and he says 'Hey look up Triumph'

Needless to say we played pool jamming out to NEVER SURRENDER

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

I hope they can actually put something together and enjoy themselves after all these years. I've been a BIG Triumph fan for a lot of years, and would love to have a chance to see them one more time!

:headbang: