Trouble with popping/noise on punch-ins

LuketheDuke

Storm Trooper
Sep 19, 2011
Zanesville, OH
I after lurking on a thread discussing creating a tight mix, and punching in every bar/small section of the song, I tried it myself. I am running through a POD X3 Pro into my 003R via S/PDIF and I get that pop every time the playback passes one of my punch-ins.

How short can you make crossfades, or is there just something I'm not doing right?

I was actually just recording the processed signal straight in from the POD. Usually when I'm just recording the DI in (with guitar modeling on the inserts) I don't have the popping at each take. Is there any way to get around that otherwise? Say, I was just recording straight from a mic'd amp/cab?

You're probably punching in incorrectly.

Instead of having a guitarist start RIGHT on the beat their supposed to come in.. Make them come in 4 beats before, and then crossfade.

I usually set to record either right on the bar where I need to record, or half a bar before that and then trim the silence/playalong.

How do you guys do it?

Reaper allows you to have short crossfades into every new item, you can set them at a default speed that is transparent for anything. That way, you can punch in right on the beat and have a seamless transfer.

^ hmmm....I know Pro Tools definitely has a limit as to how short you can make them, and it's probably not short enough. I'll mess around with it and see what I can do. Thanks for the tips guys!

just do a 5ms crossfade and you'll be fine.

You can do this automatically to a long chunk of audio with many cuts in it by using the Edit Smoothing function of the Beat Detective window.
Just select Fill And Crossfade in the Smoothing box, select your crossfade length and boom!