try and wrap your mind around this one

Well, I think there's kind of like a sliding scale of how difficult it is to choose to do or not do something. Very little is impossible for most people, but some things are incredibly difficult. It might be a lot easier for me not to kill someone who pisses me off than it is for Johnny Redneck In A Bar to make the same choice...but it's still a choice.

'course, like I said, it's a sliding scale, and sometimes biological factors rob you of choice, or rob you of degrees of choice, or make certain choices more difficult.

exactly. there is a biological base. which is why an injury to the brain can change your personality without choice. see what i mean?

well, i think i was disagreeing with your saying that personality can be picked up like 'style'. there is a personality, which is well... a total psychological state. then there is someone's 'front' or 'life self' as it is often referred to. which is what they GIVE OFF as their personality. they are a bit different. i was just trying to clarify.

hmm, perhaps we have a semantic disagreement over "personality". essentially, what i'm saying is, you're not trapped within your particular social niche because of internal reasons.

charsheet.jpg

a comment from South Africa:

A 29-year-old East Rand woman was gang-raped twice in the early hours of New Year's Day N first by two knife-wielding attackers and again by five other armed men when she went to report the first attack.

East Rand police Superintendent Andy Pieke said the woman was walking with a male friend in the township of Dikatole around 12.15am on Wednesday when they were approached by the two men armed with knives.

The friend apparently fled, and the two men dragged the woman away from the road and raped her.

When they had left she walked to the local police station to report the matter, but on the way she was attacked again by five men armed with knives and firearms. All five raped her and fled.

Police are investigating, said Pieke