Trying out tones/mix, slight chance of djent! AWESOME!?

The Unavoidable

jättebög
May 27, 2008
Umeå, Sweden
I'm trying out some new sounds with my SansAmp, and at the same time I am working on a new approach to my mixing. So I pieced together a little tune were I could try both things out. It's a pretty short instrumental, and there is indeed a hint of the usual Meshuggah ripping. I am however, really happy with the guitar tone, since I think it's pretty unique! Not your avarage metal tone anyway IMO.

So check it out, it's called "Radical Minds Implode" and I think it's pretty damn cool! I would love some feedback on the mix, since I think it's really one of my best so far!

Linkage: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=842017&songID=7261759

Sounds very interesting!!! Which tuning was used? How the bass is done? And of course, If you can share your PSA1 setting/method of recording, it will be great!

Alrighty, let's see what I can dig out from that sewer that is my brain...

Tuning is drop B, meaning that I got all strings in standard except the low E which is dropped to B. Bass is just pitch-shifted guitar, probably with similar settings as the guitars. PSA was recorded straight line-in, with Impulses in Voxengo Boogex with EQ afterwards. I boost a ton of high end in the tone, to counter act the PSAs built-in LP filter. As for the actual settings I can't really say much since I really don't remember, and I don't think I still have the patch. It's not hard to get a tone like that with it though, just some messing around. The most important thing is the EQ after the impulse, since it will just end up sounding boomy, boxy, and muddy without it (due to the aforementioned built in LPF)

Thanks for reply! BTW try to play PSA direct with Nebula´s moog filter on it (around 11K) and some eq... without any impulses... it will fatten up sound, round it but it is still very in-your-face IMO.