Trying to get a good guitar tone, have a listen..

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
So now that I have a decent audio interface, I can start laying down some tracks with my amp. Listen to this quick clip and tell me what you think.

Tone Test

The chain is pretty basic- OD808-> XXX-> V30-> SM57 and E609(both off axis)-> Firepod

I think the amp is dialed in pretty good, and I moved the mics around all day and I think they are good to go. But my monitors suck, so maybe you guys can point me in a direction to get it sounding better.

Next time I'll post a longer clip too.

without knowing the context... :loco:

if it's the main guitar tone of a song, it may be a bit to hi mid centric. but maybe not depending on the bass. it is fairly bright.

without knowing the context... :loco:

if it's the main guitar tone of a song, it may be a bit to hi mid centric. but maybe not depending on the bass. it is fairly bright.

Hmmm.... must be my crappy monitors, cause to me it sounds like there is not enough highs.... Anyone one selling any decent active monitors?

Mind if I ask you what channel you used and a brief rundown of your settings?

Crunch channel. Hair- 11 o'clock; Body 8 o'clock; Bottom 10 o'clock; Volume Full, Gain 12 o'clock. Master at 8 o'clock. Andys settings on the 808. Be advised that I use an odd tube combination, V1 is a JJ12at7, the other 3 preamp tubes are JJ12ax7 high gain. Power tubes are JJ KT77's.

I just tried gooling this, didn't find shit. So what is this method?

Do a search in this forum. It's pretty much just 2 sm57's On at a 45degree angle on the ductcap, and another straight at the middle. I think it was used on the InFlames 'Clayman' album....

I'm drunk so thid may come out bad....

One mic dead center on the dustcap, another 45* off - the dustcap one is lowered by about 8-10db in the mix. Search for 'That Clayman Sound' in this forum.

Jeff