Trying to get a 5150-ish guitar tone with Revalver MKII

I love the tone of a 5150, and for convenience I have been struggling to find a way to get a similiar tone at home. Our other guitarist owns the real deal, and of course I could reamp my tracks with it, but I'd like to have a kickass tone for quick demoing at home, too.

Here's a crappily played played clip of Arch Enemy's Nemesis with Revalver MKII trying to imitate a 5150: http://www.syliin.com/jarkko/RevMKII%20Enemy.mp3

Got any tips or suggestions on getting a closer to original tone?

Thanks!

Hey man, I thought it sounded pretty cool. It's missing something though to the real 5150.

What's your settings though? I just got ReValver MkII so I'm still learning alot with it.

Well, 5150 or not, this is a good sound man.
I would scoop mids a little bit (around 250 - 500 hz), add some "punch" (around 125 hz) and maybe use a bit more gain (not sure about that, anyway...)

Which impulses did you use?

Good work!

Thanks! I agree that it still needs tweaking, though.

What's your settings though? I just got ReValver MkII so I'm still learning alot with it.

A bug in Revalver doesn't let me save any presets (which I just found out :/), but it was basically a Greener pedal to a Kitty amp on modern channel. Somewhat scooped and moderate gain. It was then routed through Guitarhack's Mesa center impulse. After Revalver I applied a Waves C4 with Sneap's settings. Finally I sent the four guitar tracks to a group channel where I did the final EQ'ing.

Well, 5150 or not, this is a good sound man.
I would scoop mids a little bit (around 250 - 500 hz), add some "punch" (around 125 hz) and maybe use a bit more gain (not sure about that, anyway...)

I actually scooped the hell out of it already, but yeah, it could use some more :) Have to try adding some punch and I definately agree on adding just a bit gain. Cheers!

Yes, those sims have a lot of mids, even if scooped...

You could save the single module presets (right click on module-->this module-->save module preset, it works for me but I don't know if is a matter of versions...). Or maybe save an image...

I would try the combination of edge and fred45 impulses (JJ ones kick ass!) with different pannings, center impulses are hard to eq imho...

Can i ask you your guitar, pickup, pedals (if used) and interface?

Keep it up!

Yes, those sims have a lot of mids, even if scooped...

You could save the single module presets (right click on module-->this module-->save module preset, it works for me but I don't know if is a matter of versions...). Or maybe save an image...

I would try the combination of edge and fred45 impulses (JJ ones kick ass!) with different pannings, center impulses are hard to eq imho...

Can i ask you your guitar, pickup, pedals (if used) and interface?

Keep it up!

Check and thanks, I'll try that out later tonight. The signal runs as follows: LTD EC-400 w/EMG-81 and 13-56 strings, tuned to drop B -> Behringer DI20 (although I'm not quite sure if I used it this time, since I can hear very little difference to plugging straight to the interface's instrument input) -> Presonus Firepod -> Cubase SX2.

Unfortunately Revalver doesn't let me save anything: setup presets, module presets, Cubase's channel presets, banks... Sucks big time. I have to confess, though, that I'm a low-life no-good bastard and thus use a shady version, so that might be the problem. Hope the problem gets solved when I purchase the plugin, which should be very soon. After playing with it for a while, I'll gladly spend 150 euros to get a legal copy.

BTW, I just noticed the Guitar Amp Modeling forum, and it kicks some serious ass! :) I'll have to look it through later.

like it and sounds pretty 5150-ish.

About the saving... I have the same problem, annoys the HELL out of me.

Thanks! I've been doing what Wild Hades suggested (taking screenshots of all the settings), but forgot this time :/

Thanx for the infos man!

And yes, that forum kicks ass, there are some users that get great sounds out of amp sims (thanks to the impulses found on this great forum) and gives really good advices.

BTW, I just noticed the Guitar Amp Modeling forum, and it kicks some serious ass! :) I'll have to look it through later.

Thanks! I've been doing what Wild Hades suggested (taking screenshots of all the settings), but forgot this time :/

What is this forum you speak of?

Unfortunately Revalver doesn't let me save anything: setup presets, module presets, Cubase's channel presets, banks... Sucks big time. I have to confess, though, that I'm a low-life no-good bastard and thus use a shady version, so that might be the problem. Hope the problem gets solved when I purchase the plugin, which should be very soon. After playing with it for a while, I'll gladly spend 150 euros to get a legal copy.
that's it it only happens to a cracked version. but you could post a screenshot with your settings though!

that's it it only happens to a cracked version. but you could post a screenshot with your settings though!

Yeah, that figures. Serves me right, tho :)

As I stated, I didn't rememebr to grab a shot of those exact settings, but I think here's the starting point where I started tweaking:

http://www.syliin.com/jarkko/5150_rev.jpg

I remember having a lot less mids, more gain, Guitarhack's Mesa impulse and probably not that compressor.