Trying to mix melo death

Djunn

Doomed
Dec 11, 2010
Istanbul
Hey folks!

First of all, thanks for creating a great community like this!

I'm trying to record and mix a local melodic death band. Their bass guitarist is a friend of mine and I'm doing the job for free. I'm not a mix/sound engineer. I play keyboards and guitar in a doom metal band.

We used Schecter C7 Blackjack ATX + Washburn xb200 > Engl e530 > NI Audio Kontrol 1 > Logic Pro. I used a few impulses from Recabinet 2.0. EQ, reverb, compressor and delay are from Logic Pro. I used Metal Foundry for drums. This is a headphone mix and I used Shure SRH440.

We haven't recorded vocals yet.

This is not a final mix but me and the guys are almost happy with the result. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17361811/Nelson.mp3

Updated! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17361811/Nelson2.mp3

Great song. Waiting for the update to judge. The drums are very simple though, vary some hits here and there to keep dynamics and interest ;)

Needs some master adjustments like more brightness and some compression i think.
The guitars need to be panned more left and right also ...
But its a very clean recording.

Great song. Waiting for the update to judge. The drums are very simple though, vary some hits here and there to keep dynamics and interest ;)

Yeah, I'm waiting for the drummer to edit some parts. :)

Sunset said:
Are you using S2.0 in stereo or Multi out? It sounds a bit thin.

I'm using it in stereo mode. It's a tweaked preset from Andy Sneap pack.

DanLights said:
everything sounds nice and clear, but also way too thin, not just the drums I think, everything, needs more body in the guitars, bass and drums, and I don{t like the snare at all, needs BODY

Yeah Dan, I figured that out but I'm having hard times with that without making it sound too muddy. I don't have these problems in my own records but this is somehow different. :bah:

zirkonflex said:
Needs some master adjustments like more brightness and some compression i think.
The guitars need to be panned more left and right also ...
But its a very clean recording.

There was no compression at all. I added some to rhythm guitars now. 2 tracks were panned hard left and right and another 2 were around %80 but I panned all off them to %100 now.

I added an updated link to the first post with your suggestions. I think it's a little bit of loud now. :eek: I still have some time until vocal tracks arrive, so I can play with this for some more time. Your comments are much appreciated. :kickass: