Trying to spread the word...to no avail.

MRNot said:
Shows you just how out of it I am... Um, now that you mention it, I thought DeGarmo was supposed to come back before the last CD, weren't he? If so, did he? If so, he's gone again? If so, WTF? *lol*

Of course, I really threw up my hands (in regards to the 'Ryche) when I read that Tate said in (one or more) interview(s) that both (to paraphrase: I could never sing or write the stuff I used anymore because it was childish and stupid) and (paraphrase: we're considering re-recording OPERATION: MINDCRIME) in the same time period.. That whole idea just terrifies me...

DeGarmo acually did 'come back' - he apparently helped write TRIBE, the latest CD, and I think played in the studio, but had nothing to do with the tour or anything after. And truthfully, After Hear in The Now Frontier, DeGarmo's touch doesn't necessarily mean the magic it used to.

And yeah, the comments Tate made right around the time he released his solo album ticked me off too - basically smearing anyone who was really into the Rage/Mindcrime period and the band's vibe. I bought Q2K to give it a try and actually like a few tunes on there, but Ryche is NOT RYCHE anymore, or really has been since Promised Land. And I will not buy Tribe - I heard them perform the first cut on that shortlived talk show on FX with the guy from Mad TV hosting and listened to Tate's harmony in the opening lines and was like :cry: :yuk:

Geez that was bad.....

MRNot said:
I can grant my leave for Geoff Tate to do what he wants as long as he grants me leave to not give a shit about the product..
:tickled: :tickled: :tickled:

NICE!!! Best quote I read in a while - I'll back you up on that one.

(other thing too, Q-ryche related. After years, I finally got the Operation Livecrime DVD after wanting it for so long...... and I've watched it ONCE.... yeah the guys were at the top of their game.. but it is SO MTV with all these fast camera passes and cuts EVERYWHERE... just when you start focusing on someone they cut away... it's so MUSIC VIDEO...... and at the same time, I got Satriani's Live in San Francisco and it is one of the best live DVDs I've seen - awesome perfomance aside, the camera-work is amazing, with excellent direction and great set-up of the over head cameras that comer in right over the stage.... you don;t miss a THING... :D )

<"Hey just reading this and what is wrong with Styx? see them live they are still kicking ass, Gowen is way better than De Young,">

Hell yeah, Ed - I'm not their biggest fan but definitely like them and caught them live a couple years back when they played down here and they rocked (gotta love Gowan's rotating keyboard.... believe he had that before Jordan rolled his out with DT...) And the damn funny thing is, I've been a fan of Lawrence Gowan since about 1991 - one of maybe 12 American fans I think as he's not well known outside Canada. :)

Pick up his 1990 album LOST BROTHERHOOD, as it is a EXCELLENT album and he has worked with some talented folks - Tony Levin, and Alex Lifeson, both of whom play on that album, as well as Kenny Greer - anyone who is a fan of Tom Cochrane (and I am a huge fan of TC) knows Greer and his outstanding slide guitar [c'mon you fellow dinosaurs - Lunatic Fringe ring a bell??... That guitar is sooo sweet...]

Burke said:
:tickled: :tickled: :tickled:

NICE!!! Best quote I read in a while - I'll back you up on that one.
Glad I can provide a bit of amusement once in a while.. ;)

By the way, a friend (who's always good for witty repartee) had something to say about the 'Ryche, is est:

"as far as me and mine, suffice to say 'plus ca change, plus ce la meme chose.'

Sadly, that's not the case with the DirecTV freeview I just watched, which I simply HAD to expound upon to you guys... this er, concert I saw, an hours worth of a relatively recent Queensryche show ... well, I can't begin to be complete about this, but here are some thoughts ...

This video, shot in kind of a 'brown and white' film (as opposed to black and white, that's the only way I can describe it, but trust me it ain't in color -- which is kinda appropriate, really, when you think about the sound of Queensryche today -- it's brown and white, and has no color!) apparently made during Queensryche's 2003 tour with Dream Theater, was, as DirecTV described it, supposed to be 'Queensryche finds its roots' ... bah ... it would be better described as 'Queensryche paying its bills while STILL trying desperately to sound like a 90s grunge band' ... they need to redo their abysmal song 'Sign of the Times' and change the lyrics to 'Behind the Times' ... I've never in my life seen such pandering -- remember how goofy they looked back in the metal-crazy days of the late 1980s, with the hairspray and makeup? Well, now they've swung all the way around to the OTHER extreme ... now their hair (except for Tate, who is BALD now) obviously hasn't been washed in years, and they all (save Tate and Rockenfield) have three-inch long goatees! I mean, c'mon, guys, find a happy medium ...
Guitarist Mike Stone, the latest in the Spinal Tap-style guitarist revolving door replacing Chris DeGarmo -- could this guy have ANOTHER tattoo somewhere, please? I mean, he doesn't have nearly enough, you can still see skin on his arms ... and the guy is quite simply a poster-boy for a friggin Stone Temple Pilots reject ... at one point in the how he not only was wearing the requisite grunge-esque toboggan -- but he put the hood of his jacket on his head as well ... need I go on? Okay, who cares how they look, right? It's the music that matters. Well, I wish that were true, because the look isn't the only thing they're going for ... they want to SOUND like Stone Temple Pilots as well. Guys, that band was popular 10 YEARS AGO ... geez ... The first half of the hour was simply awful. I swear you wouldn't know it was them. It would be too painful to attempt to describe this -- it was simply a mishmash of everything -- seriously, they left nothing out -- I hate about 90s grunge. But the low point of the show HAS to be their unplugged version of 'Roads to Madness' ... arrggh ... I had to go listen to the real version five times in a row -- it was like getting a really bad taste out of your mouth, like after you've eaten something spoiled ... they basically took a whiz on their own history ... Highlight(s)? Okay ... in the second half of the hour when Michael Wilton finally put down that friggin Les Paul (which more-or-less matched Stone's), picked up the ESP Strat-style axe, turned the fargin bass/mid-level heavy grungifier distortion off, and started playing cleanly and honestly for once. Thusly, the songs 'Della Brown', 'Breaking the Silence', 'The Needle Lies', and 'Best I Can' were almost tolerable (I never liked 'Della Brown' much before but boy if you compare it to the newer stuff it sounds like the best song you ever heard lol), and even good in spots (albeit mostly during Wilton's solo breaks). What made this part of the show extraordinarily painful, however, was the guitar solo section of 'Breaking the Silence' ... ugh ... it was torturous, really, to hear Wilton nailing his solos only to then hear Stone absolutely butchering the DeGarmo parts. Chris, you may have weirded out on us and may have killed the band back in 1997, but man they need you now. The band should at least find a replacement who can mimic DeGarmo's guitar solos ... there has to be at least a few out there lol ...
To be fair, when the music required it (which wasn't often during the first half) Scott Rockenfield sounded great as usual, and Eddie Jackson did his usual quite capable job. Geoff Tate cannot hit those high notes anymore, although I guess I can't ride him too much for that -- few older singers -- particularly metal singers -- are able to hit the notes they could when they were younger.
The point of all this is to say: what other rock band, metal or otherwise, has fallen so far? From 'Operation: Mindcrime' to this? From genius to pitiful obscurity? How could one of my all-time fave lineups do this? When they were making that great music years ago, were they just extraordinarily lucky, the equivalent of winning the lottery? I have to wonder again if they were being honest back in the day -- O:M and Empire -- was that really the music they wanted to play, or was that only what they felt like would sell records? Were they going backstage after a concert and horselaughing their fans for digging that stuff, and wishing wistfully that they could play something different? If not, how did they so easily slip into this sickening parody of themselves? Aaahh ... I need to listen to Mindcrime about ten times in a row. That'll make me feel better ... lol ...
L8r,
Bill"

Pretty much sums it up, don't it?

MRNot said:
Glad I can provide a bit of amusement once in a while.. ;)

By the way, a friend (who's always good for wity repartee) had something to say about the 'Ryche, is est:

"as far as me and mine, suffice to say 'plus ca change, plus ce la meme chose.'

Sadly, that's not the case with the DirecTV freeview I just watched, which I simply HAD to expound upon to you guys... this er, concert I saw, an hours worth of a relatively recent Queensryche show ... well, I can't begin to be complete about this, but here are some thoughts ...​

This video, shot in kind of a 'brown and white' film (as opposed to black and white, that's the only way I can describe it, but trust me it ain't in color -- which is kinda appropriate, really, when you think about the sound of Queensryche today -- it's brown and white, and has no color!) apparently made during Queensryche's 2003 tour with Dream Theater, was, as DirecTV described it, supposed to be 'Queensryche finds its roots' ... bah ... it would be better described as 'Queensryche paying its bills while STILL trying desperately to sound like a 90s grunge band' ... they need to redo their abysmal song 'Sign of the Times' and change the lyrics to 'Behind the Times' ... I've never in my life seen such pandering -- remember how goofy they looked back in the metal-crazy days of the late 1980s, with the hairspray and makeup? Well, now they've swung all the way around to the OTHER extreme ... now their hair (except for Tate, who is BALD now) obviously hasn't been washed in years, and they all (save Tate and Rockenfield) have three-inch long goatees! I mean, c'mon, guys, find a happy medium ...​

Guitarist Mike Stone, the latest in the Spinal Tap-style guitarist revolving door replacing Chris DeGarmo -- could this guy have ANOTHER tattoo somewhere, please? I mean, he doesn't have nearly enough, you can still see skin on his arms ... and the guy is quite simply a poster-boy for a friggin Stone Temple Pilots reject ... at one point in the how he not only was wearing the requisite grunge-esque toboggan -- but he put the hood of his *jacket* on his head as well ... need I go on? Okay, who cares how they look, right? It's the music that matters. Well, I wish that were true, because the look isn't the only thing they're going for ... they want to SOUND like Stone Temple Pilots as well. Guys, that band was popular 10 YEARS AGO ... geez ... The first half of the hour was simply awful. I swear you wouldn't know it was them. It would be too painful to attempt to describe this -- it was simply a mishmash of everything -- seriously, they left nothing out -- I hate about 90s grunge. But the low point of the show HAS to be their unplugged version of 'Roads to Madness' ... arrggh ... I had to go listen to the real version five times in a row -- it was like getting a really bad taste out of your mouth, like after you've eaten something spoiled ... they basically took a whiz on their own history ... Highlight(s)? Okay ... in the second half of the hour when Michael Wilton finally put down that friggin Les Paul (which more-or-less matched Stone's), picked up the ESP Strat-style axe, turned the fargin bass/mid-level heavy grungifier distortion off, and started playing cleanly and honestly for once. Thusly, the songs 'Della Brown', 'Breaking the Silence', 'The Needle Lies', and 'Best I Can' were *almost* tolerable (I never liked 'Della Brown' much before but boy if you compare it to the newer stuff it sounds like the best song you ever heard lol), and even good in spots (albeit mostly during Wilton's solo breaks). What made this part of the show extraordinarily painful, however, was the guitar solo section of 'Breaking the Silence' ... ugh ... it was torturous, really, to hear Wilton nailing his solos only to then hear Stone absolutely *butchering* the DeGarmo parts. Chris, you may have weirded out on us and may have killed the band back in 1997, but man they need you now. The band should at least find a replacement who can mimic DeGarmo's guitar solos ... there has to be at least a few out there lol ...​

To be fair, when the music required it (which wasn't often during the first half) Scott Rockenfield sounded great as usual, and Eddie Jackson did his usual quite capable job. Geoff Tate cannot hit those high notes anymore, although I guess I can't ride him too much for that -- few older singers -- particularly metal singers -- are able to hit the notes they could when they were younger.​

The point of all this is to say: what other rock band, metal or otherwise, has fallen so far? From 'Operation: Mindcrime' to this? From genius to pitiful obscurity? How could one of my all-time fave lineups do this? When they were making that great music years ago, were they just extraordinarily lucky, the equivalent of winning the lottery? I have to wonder again if they were being honest back in the day -- O:M and Empire -- was that really the music they wanted to play, or was that only what they felt like would sell records? Were they going backstage after a concert and horselaughing their fans for digging that stuff, and wishing wistfully that they could play something different? If not, how did they so easily slip into this sickening parody of themselves? Aaahh ... I need to listen to Mindcrime about ten times in a row. That'll make me feel better ... lol ...​

L8r,​

Bill"

Pretty much sums it up, don't it?
Dude - SO sweet - that is RIGHT on the money.
Best thing about that FreeView and the band currently is still Rockenfeld - he still kicks ass.

The comment about Della Brown is just so spot on...

Burke said:
Dude - SO sweet - that is RIGHT on the money. Best thing about that FreeView and the band currently is still Rockenfeld - he still kicks ass.

The comment about Della Brown is just so spot on...
Friend Bill is always good at putting his feelings into written word in a way that is both entertaining and informative..

Actually, he's a huge Rush fan, and I've definitely shared Enchant with him if at *least* their cover of "Changes" but perhaps also BLUEPRINT. I'll have to see if he might find time to drop in himself and make some intelligent comment on things TUGged AND WARred..

That review was excellent, especially the part about the DVD being filmed in black & white because their recent output has been colorless...I said this before on the Progpower forum, but there are now two Ryches: one content to relive their past in concert, and the other trying to get as far away from it as possible, only problem being they have no idea how to reinvent themselves.