TSE Bod plugin w/ cab impulses?

vejichan

Dec 29, 2011
hey do you guys use the TSE BOD w/cab bass impulses or w/o?
which particular bass cab impulses do you guys use? i noticed when you use it w/cab impulses it's putting a blanket over your bass sound..

I use a few different ones I like for my own bass sound, I don't know who the creators are but the folders are named "ampeg_svt-810e" and "Beamsonic AmpegSVT". Those seem to sound good on either the low bass or the grit track imo. I have another set called "eden_4x10xlt" but those have an issue where you have to but the beginning off 128 samples, never have gotten around to it.

And yeah BOD does sound good on it's own.

hey do you guys use the TSE BOD w/cab bass impulses or w/o?
which particular bass cab impulses do you guys use? i noticed when you use it w/cab impulses it's putting a blanket over your bass sound..

Exactly what I was thinking lately...I hope replies to this topic.
I always feel that TSE BOD does not sound good without cab impulse, for me it sounds like an amp sim without impulse (not so exaggerated), has not that final rounded sound.
Yesterday I tried it without impulse with a good bass DI and it sounds good...yes, it might work well in a mix but I still think you get a more rounded sound with impulses.

I've had interesting results with Lextac on bass

Some chance to know how you´re using it?

I use a few different ones I like for my own bass sound, I don't know who the creators are but the folders are named "ampeg_svt-810e" and "Beamsonic AmpegSVT". Those seem to sound good on either the low bass or the grit track imo. I have another set called "eden_4x10xlt" but those have an issue where you have to but the beginning off 128 samples, never have gotten around to it.

And yeah BOD does sound good on it's own.

I have all these exact sets of impulses, and they sound great. I favor the 8x10, but the 4x10 has great mids for faster things. Throw one of them in front of a really gritty BOD track, one time I used BOD for heavy grit, into LeXtaC for a clean boost, into those impulses and got a clanky, ballsy mammoth of tone. Get nuts, you can't go wrong with BOD.

Just Laxtact on the clean channel with no impulse and a low pass gave a pretty smooth low end. I'm finding I like BOD in series with x30 and an impulse. Haven't used the Rat clone yet because I have a Rat and I've honestly been THAT lazy to not just get these plug on a thumb drive to my main pc

Most amp sims have worked on the grit track fine for me. I usually prefer amplitube and lepou's plugins though...

So all you guys run the clean track through a sim as well?

The problem with most amp sims (vs B.O.D) arises when you realize that attack is mainly diminished to a great extent. This is why I use B.O.D, it actually ENHANCES the attack, unlike most sims which just make sure the bass is present on more frequency estate. As for B.O.D, I have yet to truly find an IR that I'd like to use with it, mainly I just put a lowpass @4khz.

For my main bass tone, I like to use TSE BOD > amp / preamp (real or VST like Ignite SHB1) > bass cab IR (mainly Torpedo PI-101 WoS plugin).

Lately I haven't been duplicating my bass tracks. Just one track, "clean", leaving most of the highs in. Compress -> BOD -> ampsim -> IR -> EQ -> compress -> compress -> limit -> maybe limit again.

Seems to get me a nice clangy grit along with the solid low end. But, I suck at bass and mostly use pitched-down guitar.

Just Laxtact on the clean channel with no impulse and a low pass gave a pretty smooth low end. I'm finding I like BOD in series with x30 and an impulse. Haven't used the Rat clone yet because I have a Rat and I've honestly been THAT lazy to not just get these plug on a thumb drive to my main pc

Love the RAT sim for bass, blend it up underneath and send into cab ir, clank and grind.

Lately I haven't been duplicating my bass tracks. Just one track, "clean", leaving most of the highs in. Compress -> BOD -> ampsim -> IR -> EQ -> compress -> compress -> limit -> maybe limit again.

The problem you should watch out here is that the compressor might react to the high end and duck the low end along with it, this can cause a sorta imbalanced (but way more dynamic) kind of a mix. I realized this when I started boosting presence and high end via B.O.D :)