What do you use for your go to guitar sound?

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Is there a primary amp/modeler you guys use to get your guitar tones? Especially metal. I remember back in the day everyone here was using Pods but that has definitely changed. If you are miking a cab what mic(s) do you use mostly? Currently I am using a Laney IRT Studio with a gflex 2x12 cab with a 57 and 609. If I am going direct I'll use the Laney with impulses or Tse X50v2.3 or Thermionik. I like the impulses MickRick makes as well as the Redline and TMF impulses. If a band comes to you do you ever use there gear for guitar tones?

Thanks for liking my impulses :)
I don't record my own stuff or even play much these days.
I haven't even got a guitar at home. They are all in the studio.
If I ever want to play guitar, 9 times out of 10 I plug my USA Charvel So Cal into the Mesa MK4 into Recto cab.
I leave my cabs mic'd up all the time so I monitor through the Focal Twins in the control room.
I have gone through phases of using an E906 and Beyer M201 but these days I am back to 57 and 421 on different cones.
The MK4 is a great amp for making you play better. It's very unforgiving and you have to really dig in to drive it.
As for bands using their own gear, I always send a band my gear list before the session and most of the time, they will use my gear unless they are seven string guitars of left handed.
Occasionally bands will bring their own gear and we will try theirs and mine and use whatever sounds best to them.

My guitar gear is very good:
PRS custom 24, ESP MI NTB, ESP Custom Eclipse, Charvel USA So Cal, Charvel '89 375 DLX, Fender USA Tele DLX, Gibson LP STD.
Mesa MK4 and Triple Rectifier, Peavey 6505, Marshall 6100 and 8100, 5150 III 50 wt, Vox Night Train 50.
Rectifier cab, Marshall MF400 and 30th anniversary cabs.

I'm pretty evenly split between the pod hd and a mesa single rectifier. I think the pod is still solid so long as you use a real power amp and cab but you are right that they seem to have fallen out of vogue. Either way everything goes into a 2x12 and then an sm57 90% of the time and an md421 the other 10 (sometimes I dual mic but not very often).

Lately I am finding that I don't use a boost too often though, I think I have just gotten tired of that particular sound all the time.

Also I rarely use other peoples gear but every once in awhile you do run into someone who has really crafted their own sound with something in particular, but that is not very often in my experience.

Still a 5150 + any cab w/ V30's guy as far as the real deal goes but with itb I'm pretty much TSE 808> LeCto >NadIR with ASEM Recto impulse + EQ (ReaEQ for cuts and Pultec Pro EQ for boosts combo).

I don't really have a go to sound at the minute, right now I've been using amplitube or tse x50 v2 into the power/cab section of my Marshall avt 150 combo.

First post here btw :)

I just record my own stuff and I use a ibanez rg350 with emg81 (I realy love that sound so much). I go with revalver 4 and use the 6505+ with ownhammer mesa ir. It's super tight and I am a friend of high mid sound. The guitar has to scream and with a mesa cab it does :-D ... I prefer a sm7 over a sm57 but as a sofware user I have to take what I can get. There are some irs where I realy want another mic and position.

Btw: Sometimes it's not so easy to choose between revalvers 6505 and the x50. Both are great and for me the best amp sims I've used so far.

5150/6505 with 808 and a good cabinet (v30 or greenbacks) and high output pickups like a SD JB.

I've tried pretty much all popular amps and my favorite for rhythm is by far the Peavey JSX, tight almost tubescreamy sound and perfect mid's. I also tried many cabs and i like the mesa boogie the most. I got a 2x12 with v30's. For lead guitar i like something thicker like a 5153 but one of my best lead tones came from a Marshall TSL.

I hate the idea of a go to sound. That's what makes music sound so even and boring these days and I think it's laziness and lack of creativity. I always need to start on fresh basis to add a bit excitement. Just my two cents.

I hate the idea of a go to sound. That's what makes music sound so even and boring these days and I think it's laziness and lack of creativity. I always need to start on fresh basis to add a bit excitement. Just my two cents.

Well most of the modern metal amps all kinda sound the same, just small differences in the voicing. And for me it's just about getting the best quality sound, if i use the same amp every time I wont care. The player, music and style will always make the amp sound different in that particular context.

Well most of the modern metal amps all kinda sound the same, just small differences in the voicing.

If you want them to. Also there are other speakers than just the V30 and other mics than the 57 and infinite possible combinations. Sure this exposes you to an increased risk of failure but you don't even have to commit 100% to a sound from the get go with today's technology. Sometimes it's just an happy accident.
I don't think there's only one right way to do things. How sad would that be?

Right now, my guitar sound is a Joyo Vintage OD into an Orange Micro Terror. I use the headphone out to go into my interface, use Ignite's TPA-1 simulating an EL34 power amp, and a Bogner Uberkab MD421 + T75 impulse. Currently looking at a 2x12 cab with a G12H30 & possibly a V30 for recording.

I honestly just use what I could afford. I did my research, and it happened to sound good, so...

I like how my Krank Rev Jr. sounds mic'd up, though I haven't really gotten a chance to mic my Peavey XXX up because the power section is being a PITA. Although it aint no Mesa Recto, my Marshall cab with Chinese V30's and EVH's sounds good too. I tend to prefer how the V30's mic up, but the EVH siggies sound cool too. The SM57 seems to like both too.

ProCo Rat > Matchless Chieftain loaded with Celestion Alnico Blues > Neumann U47. My go to metal setup since '76.

Axe Fx II XL or the Ignite Emissary/TSE X50 if I'm not near my Axe. I don't ever see myself ever going back to amps