TSO In Sunrise Florida 1st Time Atendee

When they announced Jon, I stood up, yelled and threw horns--and turned around to see a bunch of people looking at me like I was insane. Oh well.

Hehehe.... like I said, for many of those people it was their first heavy metal concert. They just didn't know it at the time! :)

I'm sure there were quite a few people saying "WTF is this?" Some little old grey haired ladies were expecting something else? :lol:

Personally, I don't like the Caffery/Skolnick tour, and couldn't believe after 9 nears of us seeing the Pitrelli tour here in Atlanta, that they changed up on us this year, especially the one year that JSS is singing with them, one of my favorite vocalists. While I love Skolnick and Caffery as musicians, the show just isn't the same in my opinion. I was really disappointed....

We saw our regular show last year here in Atlanta. Then decided to head to Raleigh to see the OTHER tour, thanks to Tess and her family for having two extra tickets and inviting us, and we came out of the show all saying the same thing: Just not the same and not as good.

So... with that said, if we get the Caffery/Skolnick tour next year, we won't be going.

It WAS great, though, seeing all our PP buds there! :)

Wow I couldnt disagree more. I have seen the East the past 3 years, and have been absolutely floored. So I guess you might ask.....then how can I compare to the West. The answer lies within several high quality DVD bootlegs I have. 4 from the East on DVD, and 3 from the West on DVD.

On the East the musicianship was so much tighter, and the singers were like night and day. Prince Of Peace and several other songs are lackluster on the West, and absolutely phenomenal on the East.

This year should be interesting for me as I see them in 2 weeks in Manchester NH. All the lineup changes have me very curious.

We have two shows on Nov 25 with TSO West, and this will be the 5th time we have seen them, and this year we are looking forward to the show more than ever, especially with JSS on vocals and Mark Woods handling the violin duties. Can't wait.. TSO West has never disappointed, and in years past have seen multiple SAVATAGE shirts there.

When they announced Jon, I stood up, yelled and threw horns--and turned around to see a bunch of people looking at me like I was insane. Oh well.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!! I've done that numerous times.....even almost got in a fight one year. Gotta remember where I am, but the feeling of Savatage and Criss is so strong when I go, I have trouble containing it. That will be even more so now that TSO is making no bones about their roots. Most of the TSO audience just isn't ready for horns and headbanging!!

Chris :headbang:

Jennifer took this year off, rumor was due to pregnancy. She didn't say whether she plans to return in the future.

I too think the guy who is singing Believe has too gritty a voice to do the song justice. But I am just happy with the Savatage nod.

Bet he was nervous singing it in front of Oliva at the Florida shows!

I hate to hear that, because she has a killer voice and looks to go along with it! :) Honestly, she was the strongest vocalist on the East tour in my opinion.

~Brian~

We have two shows on Nov 25 with TSO West, and this will be the 5th time we have seen them, and this year we are looking forward to the show more than ever, especially with JSS on vocals and Mark Woods handling the violin duties. Can't wait.. TSO West has never disappointed, and in years past have seen multiple SAVATAGE shirts there.

Lucky you!!! I'm soooo jealous!

My impressions of East vs. West, keeping in mind that the lineups change from year to year:

Narration- Bryan Hicks and Tony Gaynor have markedly different deliveries. Gaynor is more subtle, solemn, and reverent. Hicks is more dramatic, energetic, and at times humrous. Hicks was pretty entertaining, but being used to Gaynor over the years I prefer his narration. However, to be fair, I considered that if one was more used to Hicks' he/she might find Gaynor boring.
My pick: Gaynor.

Guitar- Pitrelli vs. Caffery is har to say. Clearly, both are excellent. Also clearly their personas drive the personalities of the two groups.

Pitrelli, therefore West, is definately more laidback. He does do some humerous things on stage, but usually so sublty they're probably lost on the audience further back from the stage.

Caffery is more high energy and East definately reflects that by demanding more audience participation.
My pick: No preference.

Young vs. Skolnick is a no brainer for me. Skolnick is the more talented of the two. However, Angus is definately eyecandy for the female audience, and they (at least the ones in my group) love to watch him.
My pick: At the risk of being beaten bloody at home, Skolnick

Violin- I haven't seen Woods with TSO; however, I have seen him with Van Helsing's Curse. The man is excellent. Anna Phoebe is now on East after four or five years on West. No one energizes a TSO stage like Anna Pheobe. The woman is a whirlwind. None of her predecessors on West ever came close to her for energy. There was a violinist just prior to Anna, an oriental woman, who was impressive to watch. However, Anna's energy is definately at another level. Surely she's missed on West.
My pick: Anna.

Drums- Plate. 'Nuff said.

Female Singers- I'm definately glad that Jill Gioia has left TSO altogheter, as she was definately way too over the top for me. I definately prefered last year's West lineup over this year's East lineup. Jennifer and Krisin being the two standouts. Krisin is also the modle for the TSO Ice Queen, btw.
My pick: West

Male Singers: Here I think West has been better, with one notable exception. Tommy Farese just isn't very good IMO. The East vocalist who did his parts was vastly superior. More powerful with better enunciation.
Other than that it all goes to West. Bart Shatto definately does a far better rendition as "The Bum" on "Old City Bar." Steve Broderick isn't awful, but Shatto brings far more emotion to that song.
West now has Soto, and before him they had Kelly Keeling. Excellent, both.
Jay Pierce is excellent on East, but he can't make up the difference by himself.
My pick: West.

Definately more Savatage love on East. West hasn't memtioned them in at least 4 or 5 years. Even when Pitrelli introduced Oliva a couple of years ago Savatage wan't mentioned.

Of the two I'd rather watch West, but probably because I'm more used to them. Also the singers give West the edge. However, since TSO skipped Atlanta one year, I'll be happy as long as either is coming.

hello,

I will be going to the show in Nashville, TN on the 21st of december. Can you tell me what show I will be seeing? Also who is in the line-up? i would love to see the list of musicians.

Thank you,

Violin- I haven't seen Woods with TSO; however, I have seen him with Van Helsing's Curse. The man is excellent. Anna Phoebe is now on East after four or five years on West. No one energizes a TSO stage like Anna Pheobe. The woman is a whirlwind. None of her predecessors on West ever came close to her for energy. There was a violinist just prior to Anna, an oriental woman, who was impressive to watch. However, Anna's energy is definately at another level. Surely she's missed on West.
My pick: Anna.

If i remember correctly her name was Jennifer Li, and she and Al Pitrelli had such a repoire it was unreal. Nope, I think Anna and Mark are interchangeable as far as intensity, and energy go, and as far as talent, pretty much equal as I believe she was a student of Mark's years ago.

You'll love it. JSS is awesome singing "The Price of Peace" :D

I will be going to the show in Nashville, TN on the 21st of december. Can you tell me what show I will be seeing? Also who is in the line-up? i would love to see the list of musicians.

You'll be seeing the East Coast one. As for a list of people, that I can't help you with as I've only seen the West Coast one. The general list of people is here:

http://trans-siberian.com/about/theband.shtml

hello,

Thank you,

Actually, you will be getting the West-East will be in Detroit:

West

Al Pitrelli Guitar
Jane Mangini Keys
Scout Vocals
Angus Clark Guitar
Mark Wood Violin
Alison Zlotow Violin
Chris Altenhoff Bass
Andrew Ross Vocals, Guitar, Banjo
Anthony Gaynore Vocals and I believe Bass
Derek Wieland Keys
Steena Hernandez Vocals
Erin Henry Vocals
Kristin Gorman Vocals
John O'Reilly Drums
Jeff Scott Soto Vocals (Guitar?)
Bart Schatto Vocals
tommy Farese Vocals and Guitar

:guh: er, I think you meant Angus Clark, not Angus Young.

Ooh! Yeah. My bad. Really bad.

besides, who would Angus Young be eye candy for these days? ...a buzzard? :p :lol:

Well... I hear Patrick...

If i remember correctly her name was Jennifer Li, and she and Al Pitrelli had such a repoire it was unreal. Nope, I think Anna and Mark are interchangeable as far as intensity, and energy go, and as far as talent, pretty much equal as I believe she was a student of Mark's years ago.

Mark Wood does side to side stage sprints ending in 5 foot knee slides? Plays looking at the crowd upside down, playing in a full back bend? Really?

I think TSO is a way to help mainstream prog metal to the masses through the mostly universal concept of Christmas

It's *also* a way to mainstream classical music to the masses. At least half the setlist is based on classical compositions. :)

Glad you enjoyed the show!

But if they had been to a few ProgPower shows, or had seen bands who play this type of music very well, they would know where the performance fell flat.

Huh? Did you by chance walk into a Mannheim Steamroller concert by mistake? I would put the musicianship of TSO's members up against anyone in any genre of the business. While the delivery might not be as perfectly tight as your typical ProgPower set, ProgPower performers don't have to play while scattered across a stage the size of half a football field!

Believe was good but would have been better with a singer who sang the song correctly. His voice did not suit the song. Jon's voice was not gravely when he sang Believe originally and the vocalist completely took away from the song singing this way.

I saw a clip on YouTube, and it certainly didn't pack the same emotional punch as when Jon performed the song at ProgPower (which made me cry like a baby...)

Last Night's TSO show in El Paso to put it mildly was the best show i have ever seen. They were spot on on every song. Al Petrilli gets my vote as the ost metal guitarist in the world. He had to play the whole show and a few before last night from a chair, as he had injured himself while preforming a show two weeks earlier. He shattered his knee-cap and tore his ACL, but he still played on. The high light of the evening was the dueling pianos with Jane Mangini and Derek Weiland, and their heavy metal rendition of the peanuts theme song, it was awesome.