Tube amplifiers

Krondor

Jan 16, 2008
Finland
Yo, I was thinking of buying a tube combo. Something that would be good for homeplaying BUT also is fitting for some band/live stuff... You guys got any tubes to suggest? Music type is pretty versitile, but mainly metal-y stuff... The price would be something like 500-700eur.. I have this crappy amplifier that I've been playing for ages, and I don't know anything about amplifiers...

Is there a music store near you? Take YOUR guitar to the store and play it through a bunch of amps. That is the ONLY way you will know how the amp will sound with your gear. Try a bunch and pick the one you like most.

Note that you don't need 150watts for bedroom stuff. If when you play live, you have a PA, even 50watts is fine. When you check the amps out, note that there's also a variety of technologies now: all-tube, tube preamp/solid-state power amp, and amp "modeling" which might have a tube preamp. Check out the speaker cabinet too before you buy. Check out the number of inputs/fx returns and make sure it will suit your purpose.

When you're in the store, play the amp at all volume settings - screaming loud, mid range, and low. Play it with different EQs. Get a sense of the scope of tones you can get.

+1 to pretty much everything Ken said.

As far as how much power you actually need, don't get too caught up in how many watts an amp is. Ken says 50 watts with a PA is fine...even without a PA that's going to get you through just about any gig you'll probably play. My main gigging amp (mesa boogie F30, 30 watts) has never come up short. I mic it on most of my gigs, but even when I don't, it's gotten me through most bar gigs without turning up past 9 o'clock, and never past 12 o'clock. Again, that is without being mic'd.

Also, take your time with the amp. If you haven't had much experience playing through tube amps, bear in mind that they respond to your playing a bit differently and can take time to get used to. The controls tend to respond in pretty unique ways depending on the amp. I can't stress this enough: dial in by using your ears, not by looking at the settings.

Have you tried any yet or do you have any thing in mind. Specific features? How many different sounds do you need out of the amp, and what are they? What kinds of pedals/effects do you plan to run? What kind of guitar are you using? Etc. etc....

1st I have to say it really depends on the TYPE of tone you are going for. if you are looking for something very modern see below :)

Over the years I have been through quite a few combos and heads. My faves over the years have been:

Combo:
Peavy Valveking - For the money this thing is tough to beat if you are just getting started int he world of tubes. Tons of gain, good clean channel. The Lead channel has a sounds very similar to the Peavey Rock Master.

Heads: Peavey 5150 - for the price of used on of these they are IMPOSSIBLE to beat. Its THE sounds of modern metal. for $400 to $700 used they cant be beat.

Is there a music store near you? Take YOUR guitar to the store and play it through a bunch of amps. That is the ONLY way you will know how the amp will sound with your gear. Try a bunch and pick the one you like most.

Note that you don't need 150watts for bedroom stuff. If when you play live, you have a PA, even 50watts is fine. When you check the amps out, note that there's also a variety of technologies now: all-tube, tube preamp/solid-state power amp, and amp "modeling" which might have a tube preamp. Check out the speaker cabinet too before you buy. Check out the number of inputs/fx returns and make sure it will suit your purpose.

When you're in the store, play the amp at all volume settings - screaming loud, mid range, and low. Play it with different EQs. Get a sense of the scope of tones you can get.

I agree totaly with the Kenneth above. 50 w is not bad at all; consider the amp to be like another instrument. It has to compliment your style and your own playing dynamics. I use a pod hd500 and have peavey valveking head and blackstar 2 x12 cab. It works ok for me but maybe poorly for someone else. The typical wisdom for tubes is the more your drive the amp, the better the sound.