New Randall RT Tube Amps

Jind

Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)
Mar 7, 2009
Just saw this from NAMM - Randall is releasing it's new RT series of tube amps at a price point normally associated with Solid State. Their words not mine.

January 14, 2010 – Randall Amplifiers announces the new RT Series of all tube guitar amplifiers. The series is pro caliber and at a price point that would normally be considered solid state territory. It offers novices and solid state fans the opportunity to step into the world of real tube tone. The series includes three heads, the RT103, RT503 & RT50, one combo, the RT50C and 2 cabinets, The RT412XC & RT212XC.

Built road tuff, the RT103 is a 3 channel, 100 Watt head with reverb and the RT503 is a 50 watt version. Both heads feature one clean channel and two overdrive channels. The RT50 is a 2 channel, 50 watt head with reverb featuring one clean and one overdrive channel.

The RT412XC and RT212XC are cabinets that are perfectly matched to the RT Series heads with the same cosmetics including black chrome grills and black tolex covering. Both cabinets feature Celestion® speakers.

The RT412 and RT212 also match perfectly t the RT series heads but are more affordable with lighter duty MDF construction and 50w Randall Jaguar speaker.

The RT50C is a 50 watt, 2 channel, 1x12 combo amp featuring the same electronics as the RT50 head and a 12" Celestion® speaker all in one portable package.

What really sets these amps apart from other tube amps is the power tube bias test points. No longer do guitarists have to purchase matched sets of tubes. The user-friendly power tube bias section on the back allows the user to replace, bias & match the tubes themselves with just an inexpensive volt meter available at any electronics or home improvement store.

Amplifier Common Features:

* 50 or 100 (RT103) watts RMS
* Foot switchable channels & reverb
* Effects loop
* External speaker output
* Power tube bias test points
* Footswitch included

Cabinet Features:

* Black chrome grills
* Removable Casters
* Frontload Speakers
* RT412XC: 4 x 12" Celestion® G12M Greenback Speakers 100 Watts RMS power handling.
* RT212XC: 2 x 12" Celestion® G12M Greenback Speakers and 50 Watts RMS power handling.
* RT412" 4 x 12" Randall Jaguar Speakers 200 Watts RMS power handling.
* RT212" 2 x 12" Randall Jaguar Speakers 100 Watts RMS power handling.

rtseries.jpg

From MusicRadar.com - pricing information:

Prices are expected to range from £575 + VAT for the 50W head, to £810 + VAT for the 3-channel 100W head. The RT Series is expected to ship in Q2 2010.

I'm quite interested in their other offering as well - the new NBKing 1x12 combo based upon the Nuno Bettencourt signature head they released a while ago. I played the head version at a local Sam Ash last year and it was a really great sounding amp. Since I'm not really interested in a head and cabinet version and combos are make more sense for my personal needs, this would be a sweet alternative. Hoping one comes available sometime soon to try out locally.

The NBKing 112 is an all tube 30 watt combo amplifier powered by 4 EL84 tubes. It utilizes the same 3 channel preamp found on the 100 watt Randall NBKing head. The top facing gold control panel contains 2 full featured channels, clean and overdrive. The third channel is a dedicated solo channel containing drive and volume controls. An oversized volume control and analog VU meter contribute to a vintage and boutique vibe. 2 top mounted carrying handles make transport effortless. An effects loop and MIDI in/thru footswitch connections add versatility.

The front 2 tone grill cloth contains Nuno’s logo and is both surrounded and divided by classy white piping. The cabinet houses a Celestion® Greenback speaker

Features:

* 30 watts RMS
* Celestion® Greenback Speaker
* MIDI in/thru
* Effects loop
* External speaker output

NBKing112.jpg

I thought that the Kirk Hammett sig amp was around £485? and thats a valve amp... But still, these are pretty cool looking amps!

What really sets these amps apart from other tube amps is the power tube bias test points. No longer do guitarists have to purchase matched sets of tubes. The user-friendly power tube bias section on the back allows the user to replace, bias & match the tubes themselves with just an inexpensive volt meter available at any electronics or home improvement store.

Does this seem ass-backwards to anyone else? I mean, unless there's a bias pot and test points for each of the power tubes, if you were to buy 4 totally random ones and plop 'em in there, how exactly would being able to adjust the bias balance them out?

*shrugs*

I don't know shit about biasing amps. I've always kinda been turned off by Randall anyway. They really have this whole attitude of "Hey... we're fucking metal... go with us..."

Does this seem ass-backwards to anyone else? I mean, unless there's a bias pot and test points for each of the power tubes, if you were to buy 4 totally random ones and plop 'em in there, how exactly would being able to adjust the bias balance them out?

And another note about this is the fact that they implemented this in the RM100.. so its not really not unique for these amplifiers. ;)

Just check out this picture and you will get the idea: http://www.usmusiccorp.com/files/randall/images/lores/RM100_Back.jpg

These randall amps don't sound so cheap to me. Maybe they mean that they are a similar price as the prices of their already greatly inflated V2 & T2.

Oh wow, so it actually is for every tube - how expensive would that be to implement do you think?

its no big deal. most high end 2 channel audio amps have individual bias. The whole idea is to buy a matched set, and then set the bias so they are beyond perfect. My Jolida 302B has this and it is a great feature. For a tube amp though??? Its kind a gimmic. Matched sets are not that much more expensive.