Tubes

HackerX

Feb 23, 2006
QLD,Australia
I'm up for a set of new 12AX7's.

While there are only a few options on the market, obviously there are various subtle differences between them so I'm after some anecdotal opinions on what brands people use and why.

I'm up for a set of new 12AX7's.

While there are only a few options on the market, obviously there are various subtle differences between them so I'm after some anecdotal opinions on what brands people use and why.

Go to this site: http://www.eurotubes.com/

Call them and they will answer any question you have and make the right match for your needs. They're great guys...great pricing, super quick shipment...and JJ tubes are awesome! I've purchased from them twice and couldn't be happier with the products or service. JJ's rock.

What amp will these be for?

This:
http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=2&FamilyID=75&ProductID=100&Tab=0
Kustom Defender. Just a cheapish 50w Class A

I'm not really asking for people to suggest tubes to suit, rather, I just want to hear about what people like about the ones they do chose.

At the end of the day, it's all subjective, so I figure we might as well skip all those caveats and just get straight into it.

Though, I suppose I might add that I'd prefer those which break up earlier rather than later. Obviously there are some known for being cleaner than others.

And I've read good things about the JJ's. Being australian, I might have to choose a different supplier :p but they were on my list. Is it worth going to the gold pinned?

This:
http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=2&FamilyID=75&ProductID=100&Tab=0
Kustom Defender. Just a cheapish 50w Class A

I'm not really asking for people to suggest tubes to suit, rather, I just want to hear about what people like about the ones they do chose.

At the end of the day, it's all subjective, so I figure we might as well skip all those caveats and just get straight into it.

Though, I suppose I might add that I'd prefer those which break up earlier rather than later. Obviously there are some known for being cleaner than others.

And I've read good things about the JJ's. Being australian, I might have to choose a different supplier :p but they were on my list. Is it worth going to the gold pinned?

They'll help you make the right choice...really nice guys and very knowledgeable.

The 12AX7's are pretty standard.

There are of course tubes that were made for other things, with different electrical characteristics. They aren't ALL going to work, so it's best to stick with proper guitar ones. Not sure what else you would use them for these days though. Now that transistors have taken over it seems like audio stuff is the only thing they are good for.

It might be interesting to know that when they used tubes in computers (room size ones) they used to frequently die because insects would short them out (they were attracted to the light/heat). That's where the computer term 'bug' came from.