Tubescreamer vs. EQ in DAW

Rick83

New Metal Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hi Guys!

I've got a question... I see a lot of Rectifier users here do use a Tubescreamer in front of their amps to get a tighter sound when recording.

I don't own a Tubescreamer and was wondering if I could archieve the same benefits with the EQ in my DAW. I am talking about reamping, so I have the raw guitar signal in my sequencer and have the chance to do the same thing a Tubescreamer does the way you set them: Throw out some of the lower bass frequencies before the guitar signal meets the amplifier.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Rick

It's always best to achieve as close as the sound you want from the amp itself. If you know you want the tubescreamer effect, go out and get one. This way you will have to as little EQing as possible in the DAW. Go for as close to raw as possible. If you don't like how it sounds in the room, it won't be easy to get it good post recording.

You'd be better off getting Guitarsuite which is a free download and using the Tubescreamer plugin on the track as you are sending it out to reamp.

Thank you, that was a good idea! Unfortunately I just searched the web and found out that this plugin is only available for PC (VST) and not for Mac. :(
Anyways, I guess I'll go for a Tubescreamer then and look if it really sounds better. :)

The thing with a TS is that it's character comes just as much from it's compression of the signal as muc has the "eq" it provides, which if I'm not mistaken, the "eq" of it exists because of that compression.

If this forum taught me anything at all (and it has), its that a tube screamer is pretty much an essential when using high gain. I went through ton's of tube amps in my more naive years because I couldn't get a "good" sound out of them. Aside from learning to tweak amps a lot better now, I must say, the best purchase I ever made to aid my tone without a doubt is the maxon od808. I don't play without out one on any amp, period. I even like how it boost's the cleans in some situations with just a hint grit!