Tuned down to F to see how it would sound...

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
Fucking mental is the answer. I did this after discussing with the band if we should get some 8 strings (we already use 6 and 7 strings in various tunings) so I tuned the low Bb of my 7 down to F and threw out some grooves to see if it would suit our style. What do you reckon?

Please excuse the massively sloppy playing, this was just an "on the spot" riff...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/ridiculousFtest.mp3

We are a groove/thrash band at heart and I must admit the super low tuning really lends itself well to the grooves. but I'd really want to steer clear of being lumped in with the whole Meshuggah/djent thing as that's not really our style, even if they are an influence in the progressive sense.

Thanks man! That's my 6505 tone from ReValver.
Well I didn't change strings or anything because it was just meant to be a quick test, so it was just my usual 66 that I use for Bb. I just shoved a bunch of folded up paper under the trem to stop it dropping and tuned the fucker down to F :lol: Would have had a much nicer tone/feel if it was a thicker string and/or on a long-scale guitar (27" at least)

It's a cool riff, but honestly, I don't really see getting an 8 string/tuning down to F being an improvement of what you already do.
I guess some of the SS.org crowd would disagree:lol: but I think Bb is more than low enough for this style.

I guess some of the SS.org crowd would disagree:lol:

:lol: That's why I'm not posting it there. i want subjective opinions, not just people that are going to say "YES!" because of the novelty. Similarly, if I post it on MG.org it'd just get bashed to dust because they seem to be super anti-anything-even-slightly-meshuggah-related, even though this sounds nothing like them it would still get compared.

For me personally this wasn't about getting a "heavier" sound, it was about the tone. I think it compliments the grooves well because it has that horrible "drone" to it that just makes it sound even more sluggish and hellish. We have a song or two in drop Ab, and that doesn't sound out of place at all, fits really really well, so I figured I'd try something a little lower! If only I had the right tools (i.e. an 8 string!) to give it a proper go, to get the tension right for the tone.

I think the lower the tuning is the better it is for sludgey groove metal, and just plain grooves in the sound, its a horrible sound but it gives it the perfect sound :D

Next you will have to try out tuning lower like down to E or D :D

pyykkipojat.jpg

ROPE2.jpg

Seriously though, the First riff sounds cool, but the second just doesn't feel right to me, in such a low tuning.