Tuned vs Not Drums Comparison?

Some great advice here. Thanks guys.

Yeah, I will start tuning/intonating guitars/drums off the clock on my own and work with bands that send decent demos and can actually play.

BUT, this also leads to an EXTREMELY higher level of stress and anxiety. So you just gotta be tough....!

Or maybe vice-versa. I'm totally stressed out with some projects that I must deliver in the next couple of days and they sound really bad. I guess I should sample replace drums (which i hate), tune vocals and edit the shit to hell and back.

Don't hate on sample replacing drums. 90% of the big name engineers do it on every record, and they're working with pro level bands, pro level gear, pro level studios, and pro level timescales. Don't expect your shitty local bands with bad gear and NO time to compete in any way shape or form with professional sample replaced drums, it's a battle you can't win.

And really really empty bank accounts.........

indeed, indeed.... but not for the rest of our lives if you stick with that mentality, of course there are exception when you NEED to take on a band that, while not HORRIBLE, you may NOT have decided to work with if you weren't absolutely STARVING.

So you make the best of it and focus on turning it into something the band never dreamed of. Drum replacement or not. It's not cheating; it's the name of the game and for ME, it gives me a certain sound that I REALLY like and accept with open arms.

For a jazz record I probably wouldn't replace all of the shells but for a metal record, there's going to be samples SOMEWHERE on the kit, better believe that.

Rags to riches baby =D

the only video that pops into my head is the one glenn did some time ago

should be enough to convince anyone imo

I really don't know why, but the one time a drummer walked into the recording session with a great drumset, a set of new skins and some notes on how to which hz to tune them, lead to the best drumsound a recorded to date. No sample replacement/augmenting either (granted, not metal, but still a cool thing).
Coincidence?
might be worth to mention, that he was a killer player too though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't hate on sample replacing drums. 90% of the big name engineers do it on every record, and they're working with pro level bands, pro level gear, pro level studios, and pro level timescales. Don't expect your shitty local bands with bad gear and NO time to compete in any way shape or form with professional sample replaced drums, it's a battle you can't win.

Fucking huge +1 to this. It's not cheating to level the playing field back in your favour slightly, honestly ethics need to gtfo in engineering - there's only 1 rule - if it sounds better than what you're currently doing - do it. That's what these big mixers understand; it's your job to get the best you possibly can out of something - not compromise your vision by limiting yourself to the realms of physical reality.

This took me many years of working "off the clock" to make up for the deficiencies of my clients in the interest of not having garbage come out of my studio:

DON'T TAKE ON PROJECTS WITH AN INSUFFICIENT BUDGET TO DO THINGS PROPERLY.

Simple as this. You're not doing yourself any favors by taking every project that comes along.

This took me many years of working "off the clock" to make up the for deficiencies of my clients in the interest of not having garbage come out of my studio:

DON'T TAKE ON PROJECTS WITH AN INSUFFICIENT BUDGET TO DO THINGS PROPERLY.

Simple as this. You're not doing yourself any favors by taking every project that comes along.

Speaking of samples......Dave! Your samples sound amazing. You and Jamie and co. did an excellent job.

Guys, go to Dave's site and buy his samples. They are truly among the best out there.