Tuning Guitars

+1 - WTF are half of you on about??? SRV used 13's in Eb and his necks were fine.

He also had a high end strat....with (I think) hard maple. and I believe his was bolt on neck.....I would never try this with a neck through

The point is you CAN get away with thick strings at Standard (and close to standard) tunings with a high quality guitar and heavy wood...and also Leave it alone....I mean if you get this setup to work....don't decide some day to go to C standard....and then back a couple days later. Truss rods are not meant to be adjusted frequently...for the love of your guitar, get another so they can both "live" in different tunings.....then they'll really stay in tune

But keep in mind, when adjusting the truss rod that much...there is potential for disaster.

Cheers!

Another thing is, GODDAMN GUYS, how fucking hard do you pick the strings?
There are plenty of people using 52s for their low B string and never have this issue.
It makes me wonder how any of make it through an entire gig if you're constantly putting in that much effort just to pick the strings:loco:
For me, 56 on anything higher than C is over kill for me

All these things have been mentionned already but just to stress them out

-i dont think autotune should be used on the guitar
-its fine whatever gauge u use as long as you fix the neck tension
-i personnally use 11's for a whole step down but whatevr works for you of course
- If you hit the strings hard do the same thing when you tune
- Then with soft passages where you might be hitting softer, tune back and this time hit softer
- Is it possible you might be using too much distortion since you're multitracking and that may be a reason for the muddiness?
- and of course theres intonation, without a proper setting no matter what you do its always out of tune! but you've done that already..
- playing wise i noticed sometimes people bend about a 1/4 tone without noticing. But if that were the case even if you werent multitracking youd notice it in one track
- ok im gonna be made fun of for this one but try to tune in the same position as you play if you are bending over to look at a pedal or what note (perhapos the TU-2) when you sit back its not the same
- of course if its a floating bridge it should be set up properly as well but you already know that.

Thats all i can think of :loco:

Goodluck bro! :kickass:

Another thing is, GODDAMN GUYS, how fucking hard do you pick the strings?
There are plenty of people using 52s for their low B string and never have this issue.
It makes me wonder how any of make it through an entire gig if you're constantly putting in that much effort just to pick the strings:loco:
For me, 56 on anything higher than C is over kill for me

Agreed on the 56 comment, but super fucking hard. Seriously. My action is higher than most people would normally have it because if it wasn't, I'd be knocking the strings into the frets ALL the time.

As I said in another thread recently, I've grown to like 56/42/30 as my bottom-3 strings in D-standard simply because I find I can play tighter (specifically with picking, but fretting too) when the strings have less give to it (and then 19/14/095 for the expressive vibrato and meedlies :D)