Turisas, Alestorm , Norther@ Electric Ballroom, Camden, UK, 13th March 2008

seraph7

elitism sucks!
Aug 19, 2007
Southern England
It's been a while since I've been to a gig so here goes, another dispatch from *sunny* old UK!

I'd been looking forward to this gig for a while as I am a bit of a Turisas fangirl. As for the other bands, well I'd heard one track of Alestorm's on a compilation from Metal Hammer and Norther I didn't know at all.

Alestorm were first up and I was quite surprised how popular they were. I think they probably had more fans than Turisas fans at the gig and they pretty much all dressed up for the occasion. There was lots of eye patches and corsets floating about.
Now I was prepared to be somewhat sceptical about the band. I mean, 'Pirate Metal from Scotland'? They managed to win even me over despite the fact that every song of theirs seemed to be about girls and drink. In fact one of their best songs had the magnificent title of 'Wenching and Ale'! :kickass::worship:

Obviously I can't give you a full set list but I remember they played:

*'Huntmaster'
*'Nancy the Tavern Wench'
*'Captain Morgan's Revenge'
*'Wenching and Ale'

Norther were next, promoting their latest album 'N'. They seemed to be not as popular as Alestorm or Turisas and although they were quite tight instrumentally the crap sound meant that the clean vocals provided by the guitarist were pratically inaudible. The songs sounded very similar as well. I really couldn't attempt to give you a set list as the songs tended to blur into one. The audience got into it though.

At last Turisas made an appearance and plunged straight into 'The Dneiper Rapids' one of my favourite songs off 'The Varangian Way'. Unfortunately for me this was the moment some selfish twat decided to get me in a headlock while two of his other mates took turns trying to pin me down and attempt to break a limb by leaning all their considerable body weight on the arm I was using to cling on to the barrier. :erk:
While the band looked happier to be on stage than last time I saw them and were a lot more chatty, again the sound was bad.

As far as I can remember , the set list was:
Dneiper Rapids
One More
In the Court of Jarisleif
Five Hundred and One
Olli solo
A Portage to the Unknown
Olli-Netta battle
Sahti-Waari (during which the 'humppa pit' made a welcome appearance!)
Miklagard Overture
Rasputin
Battle Metal

While I love the band, I wasn't too happy about being beat up so I'm sorry to say I would probably think again before seeing them .

What kind of people actually put someone in a headlock and try to pin them down and such at a concert? If what you describe is accurate, here in the states that would be verging on assault, and were it not at a crowded concert, even an attempt at rape. Honestly now, people go to concerts to enjoy themselves. Not for hooliganism. The fact that it is a metal concert is no excuse to behave like a savage. People can be rowdy and have a fun ole' time without getting outright violent. I've never had any patience for that sort of thing.

Anyway, i've not heard Alestorm (i think they are a favorite of Troggy's however), but i guess given the popularity of pirates and ninjas these days, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Hell, there is a joke pirate-rap group out there (Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew), so why not pirate metal? It's pretty cool that people actually came dressed up with eye patches and such heh.

I used to dig Norther back in 2004 with their Death Unlimited album, but i really did not care for the 2005's Solution 7 EP and 2006's Till Death Unites Us. I plan to give N a listen, but I've been in no hurry. I liked them better when they were more directly biting the sound of Children of Bodom. :p

It's pretty lame that an experience at a concert would make you think twice before going to another of theirs again. Hopefully the next concert you go to (for whatever band) will be better.

Necrö;7080874 said:
you mean 'Wenches and Mead"

I was convinced it was 'Wenching and Ale'. I stand corrected.

Umm, the headlock thing was annoying but on balance I usually have a great time at gigs so let's just forget about it. Nightwish are next on the 25th and 27th of March (can't wait!) so it should be better. Apart from the rabid fangirls of course but I figure I can handle those...