Turning real drums into midi?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
I just read that this was possible in some programs. I am doing a CD right now where most of the drums are being sample replaced or at least enhanced. I have Kontakt and Drumagog , can either of these do this? Until now I've been going in by hand and placing all the hits for everything , which takes forever and probably wouldn't sound as good as getting midi info from the source tracks , which I assume would include the dynamics also.

Ok seriously , that was uncalled for. I'm definitely not stupid, I don't have "too much money lying around" , I just bought a lot of these programs at once and haven't had the chance to go through all of their features. It's not the fuckin Matrix where I can just plug myself in and learn all this shit instantly. I bought Drumagog for live sample replacement , then got the slate packs to augment it. That came with Kontakt. I see you edited that post , was it even more dickheaded before I read this?

I'm pretty sure Drumagog can convert/output to midi, though I haven't used it so I'm not sure. Trigger can do it. Drumtracker can do it but is a standalone program. KTDrumtrigger works and is how I used to do it before Trigger

I just read that this was possible in some programs. I am doing a CD right now where most of the drums are being sample replaced or at least enhanced. I have Kontakt and Drumagog , can either of these do this?

Those programs are designed for sample and sound replacement. There are videos that will demonstrate how they work:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVhhwRo4Aso&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Those programs are designed for sample and sound replacement. There are videos that will demonstrate how they work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVhhwRo4Aso&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQXvYXO_9tY

Yes I know , that's what I bought them and have been using them for. My question was can either Drumagog or Kontakt turn audio into midi. Melodeath answered yes. Ahjteam , thanks for the link. I saw the Drum Replacement sticky but didn't see my specific question answered. No need for the negative energy though , you're fucking up my Chi.

drumagog does it just fine.

it's confusing in reaper, here's how to do it, even though i think you said you're using logic and this is thus completely irrelevent:

insert drumagog > get it triggering properly > advanced tab > enable MIDI out > specify the correct note (depends on MIDI instrument)
route drumagog track to a new blank track
arm new track to record MIDI OUPUT

press record

wait

profit

drumagog does it just fine.

it's confusing in reaper, here's how to do it, even though i think you said you're using logic and this is thus completely irrelevent:

insert drumagog > get it triggering properly > advanced tab > enable MIDI out > specify the correct note (depends on MIDI instrument)
route drumagog track to a new blank track
arm new track to record MIDI OUPUT

press record

wait

profit

Actually I use PT 8 , but thanks for the info brother !