Turning Season Within

Oops, i forgot what forum I was posting in. Should have realised i'd get that reaction!

I'm a big girlie-girl and i like Nightwish (with Tarja).

I really like the new album, however my opinion is a bit biased. I will say that it is not as good as arcane rain fell, and I feel it is a bit too overproduced in that it loses much of the emotional connection present on the previous albums, specifically with the female vocals. Draconian will always be leagues better than Nightwish and Epica and all that because they are a metal band first and foremost, with the female vocals being a very small addition. It makes me think of the purported female vocals on the upcoming Opeth album, I hope most people will enjoy.

This album is not as good as people make it out to be really. I feel they've lost a bit of songwriting and misplaced the female vocs, winding up sounding like more of a goth metal band than a doom band. Arcane Rain Fell was better.

This album is not as good as people make it out to be really. I feel they've lost a bit of songwriting and misplaced the female vocs, winding up sounding like more of a goth metal band than a doom band. Arcane Rain Fell was better.

Haha, WHAT?!

I agree that this album is less doomy than the other ones, its faster than ARF.
But imo they have improved alot when it comes to songwriting, its the most interesting stuff they have written imo, more twists and little things going on all over.
And the female vocals are much much better than before, they create a kind of eerie feeling compared to the former releases where its more kinda pious and opera-sounding. And Anders sounds better than ever.
Incredible how totally different we feel about this album, you suck man. :)

hehe.. there's nothing wrong with the music in terms of guitars, drums etc. It's just about as good as ARF. It just gets too goth for me in very man places. Also the lyrics have been transformed into a lot of love and tragedy themes instead of the mix of doom and anti-christian lyrics on ARF. I'm gonna review this album for M-A I think, since I'm on a 2008 album spree. "When I Wake" is the only song that really hits me on the cd so far.

Also the lyrics have been transformed into a lot of love and tragedy themes instead of the mix of doom and anti-christian lyrics on ARF.

I actually welcome that. First it is a change for the band, since they had been focusing on that for a while now. Second, the whole anti-christian thing is a bit dated and overdone in my opinion, Christianity is practically dead in Europe as far as I know. Maybe some anti-Islamic lyrics would be more appropriate, since that is what seems to be gaining ground.

hah.. I guess I just prefer my doom lyrics more in the style of something like early Rapture where the depression is more raw. The whole theatrical/dramatic goth theme never works with me

Oh I like the wholly depressive lyrics too. What I was referring to is the anti-christian lyrics. I find them rather boring already.

Oh I like the wholly depressive lyrics too. What I was referring to is the anti-christian lyrics. I find them rather boring already.

yeah I'll agree that it's kind of old, though I still enjoy a good old Deicide/Dismember christian bashing once in a while. I just thought Draconian's melancholic lyric themes had more of a reality base rather than attempting to be overtly gothic which they are for the most part on the new one.

I dunno, I think Anders is just more depressed honestly. He takes his poetry pretty seriously, I don't know that he is trying to be overt, but I agree that I would like to see them step back just a little on the next album, and try not to overproduce it so much. Everytime I hear that opening track I still think its Katatonia until the vocal line hits and I remember what I am listening to.

Yeah, my view of the album has changed a lot in the past month or so, but I still really like it.

Listening to ARF and TSW back to back ARF is far superior.

Still.....

solid album :)

I have my likes and dislikes towards the piece. Sometimes I listen to it and find it stagnant with cheesiness and melodramatic teenage angst, while at certain other times I just listen to the opening riff of 'Seasons Apart' and get really pensive and submerged in the almost pretentious 'epicness' of the album.