Turntables...

Ben_t

Jun 30, 2003
Québec, Canada
Hi, I have a couple of vinyls but my old turntable is kinda dead. I checked to get it fixed but it appears to be too expensive. So I'm looking to get a new (or used) one. My knowledge of turntables is limited so I'd appreciate some input.

For those who have a turntable, what model do you have, how much is it worth and do you recommend it?

Thank you!

Technics 1200 is a great turntable to get if you can find one for a decent price second hand. They're awesome quality, and will last for life. They're generally pretty expensive though.

technics1200.jpg

I've got a Technics SL-BD20. It was very cheap (ie. someone gave it to me :D ) and it works fine. Nothing flashy though. Belt drive, no pitch control or anything. Good for home listening, auto return control arm etc.

12332.jpg

My sister has one, but she rarely let's me use it if I want to play something metal. I'm hoping to get enough hours in this month at where I work to buy a nice one so I'll end up referring back to this thread.

I've got a Technics SL-BD20. It was very cheap (ie. someone gave it to me :D ) and it works fine. Nothing flashy though. Belt drive, no pitch control or anything. Good for home listening, auto return control arm etc.

12332.jpg

That's exactly the model I had. It'Ls really cheap and the guys wanted to charge me like 25$ just to look at it...that's not even to fix it. I checked a couple places and it seemed like it would be more expensive to fix this one then to get another one.

I also went to a place and they were selling some turntables for 5500$. That's a little extreme.

Oh and I also saw this on the internet... http://www.sumikoaudio.net/sme/prod_model30.htm

Looks like a great choice! :p

Seriously though the in the store I visited they had some good turntables at semi-decent prices. I think I'm going to try and find one of these used or something. They are apparently very good.

Pro-Ject Debut III
Rega P1
Thorens TD-170-1

So I'll try to find one by either of these brands or maybe Technics as well if I find a good one.

That's exactly the model I had. It'Ls really cheap and the guys wanted to charge me like 25$ just to look at it...that's not even to fix it. I checked a couple places and it seemed like it would be more expensive to fix this one then to get another one.

Fair enough, an upgrade is probably in order then.

Oh and I also saw this on the internet... http://www.sumikoaudio.net/sme/prod_model30.htm

Looks like a great choice! :p

That's mental. I'm getting one. As soon as I've got a spare $40k laying around.