Tutorial: How to make super tight guitars using sidechaining (ie. veil of maya)

+1! Maybe even though I mostly suck at guitar, at least I can say my rhythm playing is pretty tight!
Eh, the technique is interesting but those rhythms could be played much tighter with much tighter palm muting.
Personally I generally only edit the big gaps to get rid of amp hum and handling noise.
An interesting method none the less. In some ways I think you could apply it more effectively to bass during those sections than guitar.

this is great, but wrong in so many ways! i like VOM but i have seen them enough to know mark can barely pull the shit from CMC by himself. haha i wonder if he could sidechain a gate pedal through the mix live?

As far as i understand noise gate on the guitar track with your sidechain input being the kick or snare whichever u decide and setting threshold etc as you choose?

if not then could someone translate this in logic 8 plz

thanks

it sounds tight but the compression is really hard - its like on each "1 and a" there is a huge slap in the face. it certainly works but i think the comp needs to be slightly dropped or you need some volume automation.

maybe im just hearing shit though

Just listened to the Gated Example again.
Did you use ReValver for the geetars?
(pardon me if you already mentioned this)

Hey, I am trying this but I don't get the Router. I am using reaper too but I can't get the gate to respond to the kick drum (actually I need it to respond to the kick and snare because it is a start-stop riff with one hit matching the kick and another kick matching the snare for some repetitions). All I get is the snare and the kick drum being played with the guitars track :s

My first post here but it's all to do with the channel pins.

On the bassdrum out when you select the send in the routing window you need to set it so it shows 1/2 => 3/4

So the first box make sure 1/2 is selected and in the second box make sure 3/4 is selected.

Then when you open up the gate plug in and select the aux it will be detected from the bass drum but you won't hear it.

Same thing for sidechain compression.