TUTORIAL: POOR MANS DIGITAL ROOM CORRECTION

dcb

nerd
Dec 7, 2008
so i came up with a technique i thought id share, cause i think
most people here could need a little monitoring optimization,
or at least learn about their room acoustics.

NOTE : yes, this is not the best way to go,
correcting your room with an eq is not in any way as good as doing it
with traps, absorption and diffusion, because you are only correcting
the problems in one space (where you are sitting as an engineer)
and second your not sovling anything timebased, means:

if you have an rt60 (reverberation time) of 2 seconds at 300 hz,
this method will not really help you much. but for people
with treated rooms this can give you a good 20-30%

nevertheless : this method can also be used to allocate problematic frequency areas in your setup.

1. WHAT YOU NEED :

- VOXENGO CURVE EQ (www.voxengo.com) or LOGICS MATCH EQ or similar
- A CHEAP MEASUREMENT MICROPHONE (SUPERLUX ECM 999)
- A FLAT RESPONSE INTERFACE (for example FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE 56)
- A PAIR OF FLAT HEADPHONES (i use AKG 701)
- 1 XLR CABLE

2. HOW DO I KNOW MY ROOMS SOUND LIKE SHIT?]

setup the microphone in your listening position, at the height of you ears.
play a reference song in your daw at standard mixing level (75-85 db). record that into your daw. i suggest monoing your reference track to really hear the problems especially in the low end better, as the mic will only record in mono too. make sure that your mic level is loud enough, id aim for an average -12 db.

now get your headphones, match both tracks levelwise.
now switch between both recordings. DAMN. the one in your room
you just recorded sounds NOTHING like the reference track.
shittttt.... so thats the space you are going to mix songs... arrghh..

so how can we improve our situation fast and cost effective ?

3. HOW TO DO IT

1 -insert voxengo curve eq on your reference track (again please stay in mono) .
2- now take a representative part of the song where there is also vocals. i used nickelback dark horse. i wouldnt recommend using mp3s for this, please use a hq recording of your reference material.
3-now capture a curve from the reference (id go for 20 secs) and save it, call it REFERENCE.cqs .
4-now insert a curve eq instance on your micd track, open the REFERENCE.cqs. match it ((60 bands)) to the exact same miced part you recorded.

4. OH NOOO, WHAT DID I DO???

now if you put on your headphones switch between the original file
and your eqd room miced version, youll notice that they sound a lot
more alike than before. it might not be perfect yet, but if you
switch off curve eq, youll notice that your previous version sounded NOTHING like the original. (if not, your lucky and have treated your room properly!!)

so what did we do ? yes : we flattened our room response as good as possible, we smoothed out problematic frequencies here and there.

5. WHAT CAN I DO WITH THIS?

aplly this curve eq to your masterbus.

now if you listen to your reference material on your speakers through this curve, you should immediately hear:
- speech/vocal presence improvement
- less mudiness in the low mids
- a bigger low end

the difference should be noticable (if not huge).

so: try mixing through it. get used to it. live with it. if you are lucky,
you mixes willt ranslate a 100 times better to other systems now.
you should notice more clarity in your mixes and a lot more consistent low end.

>>but always make sure to bypass curve eq when you export your song.
remember, you are only correcting your rooms problems!

a tipp : I would only let curve eq work on the low end,
id set the high end flat. its ok if curve eq takes certain frequencies away,
but id be careful letting it add something... but your ears decide.

6. WHAT CAN I LEARN FROM THIS?

Now that you can visually see, what curve eq does (for example a 10 db dip at 170 hz, a boost at 1.300hz...) you know your problematic frequencies.
its a good starting point for optimizing your room. there is lots of great forums providing information about that.

7. CONCLUSION

now if this is not for you, you do not have to use it of course ;-).
but it might at least make you aware that your listening environment needs
(further) improvement.

>>>>>>>>>>
hope this will help some people here understand their rooms better, and show some people that its impossible to mix in their environment, when curve eq wants to boost 60 hz + 24 db and cut the high end by the same amount...

merry christmas you guys!

:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy:worship:

this is gold! sticky?

i'm really tired of people here making me feel stupid......
thanks man i'll apply the lesson and listen to the results

Room correction is pointless. I appreciate the information, but people... just use your ears and learn your monitoring and your room with no corrections. Your mixes will be much better for it.

unless you plan on clamping your head in a vice at the reference-mic position then this is still just as redundant as the whole room-correction concept has ever been

thats why i recommend taking this as a guideline to learn what your room does.
i dont recommend people relying on this alone at all.

yeah, i was never a fan of digital room correction either. but i think working this tutorial, you learn that your room is not optimal. this really helps spotting problems,
and getting to know your room better! it visualizes your problems.

cubase 5 refuses ro recognize the voxengo plug in

what the fuck is wrong with this 64-bit windows 7?! it barely recognizes ANYTHING!!!!

I wouldn't recommend anything more than a couple of narrow cuts at problematic low frequencies...and nulls are the bigger problem. Try compensating for a 20db null at 60-80hz for example - not gonna happen.

I wouldn't recommend anything more than a couple of narrow cuts at problematic low frequencies...and nulls are the bigger problem. Try compensating for a 20db null at 60-80hz for example - not gonna happen.

but - again - with this method you will KNOW that you have a problem right there. i think thats pretty important and worth doing this little excercise!

anyone who reads this tutorial, go try it out.
you can learn a lot from this !

Just get RoomEq and run some sine waves to see how horrible the room response will look. If you haven't already heard how bad it sounds - use the "export impulse" function and run a mix through it. I think 99.8% of the people here should be aware by now that their rooms sound awful.

I'm all for taking measurements and seeing how awful the situation is but "poor man's digital room correction" might convince some people that this is a plausible fix and some of are just being sceptical.

I'm all for taking measurements and seeing how awful the situation is but "poor man's digital room correction" might convince some people that this is a plausible fix and some of are just being sceptical.

:devil: well yeah thats if you dont read the whole thing.
of course the poor mans thing is not to be taken seriously,
i rather wanted the attention of people to try out what their room does.

room eq is way to complicated for 99.8% , while this method should work
for almost everyone without too much hassle. again, this is more about getting
to know your room than to correct it....
i want people to see whats wrong there.

and btw. : if you do correct your room a couple db as you said there is no problem with this at all. but thats up to everyone. i just recommend
to try it out.

Interesting, thanks danny!
need to try that one time, to see if my roomsound is even more fucked up than I think haha

room eq isn't *super* retarded for mixing.... as a matter of fact if you only apply it to low frequencies in a decent size room then it can be quite useful.

If you've got a primary mode of say 60Hz going sideways across a room approx. 6m wide, then you'll be sitting in a massive peak. The difference in response at 60Hz caused by moving around by a couple of feet either way isn't going to be very large at all, so it's quite safe to notch out some 60Hz because you know that you'll always be pretty much in the right place. Yeah it's not perfect but it's a lot better than doing nothing.

However, if you've got a distance between node and antinode that's less than about 3 times the amount you move your head around while you mix, whether just casually or to reach different gear etc... then it's likely to do more harm than good

so 500 views... i wonder why these threads get like 2 responses that appreciate my input...

i mean im sharing an important technique here worth trying out.
again : its not to cure your room, but to get to know it better.... :-(

kinda makes me sad that nobody even tries this out ;-) so cheer me up you guys.

so 500 views... i wonder why these threads get like 2 responses that appreciate my input...

There, there... I found it very interesting and you did a great job. I´ll try it out!

Better now? ;)

I read it, but I didn't reply because I can't try it. I only have a shure sm58 and Sennheiser HD202

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm still waiting for my Opal studio package thing. I called Rode last night and they are going to get on top of it now.

Did you use the Opal eq first and then do this method after in your daw?