Two amps parallel live

hogan666

Mar 7, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
www.liquid-artz.com
Hi

Yesterday I thought about, if someone is making the work itself using two heads at the same time live.

Never did it before, but it could sound nice. Got my 5150 and my DSL100. Both sounds compared... hmm :)

On the other hand...if I think about the weight. :zombie:

Would like to hear your experiences about "multiamping".

Cheers, Markus.

funny, i TOO have a 5150 and a dsl100!!
i use a radial headbone and switch 'em into one cab, so i have the dsl for clean and crunch and the 5150 for my main filth sound

Hehe, thats funny. Did you combine both lead sounds before or doesn't they fit together? Can't test it 'cause I've got no splitter (who doesn't hum). :-/

Cheers, Markus.

P.S.: I hate it, translating german into english ;-)

My bands guitarplayer plays with a Marschall JCM800 2203 and a Sunn Beta Lead live.
And i just recently tried a Marschall and 5150 combi when recording, worked perfectly.
Sounds fine, just make sure you got a good splitter.. dt-10 or a boss splitter does just fine though hehe

Devin Townsend uses the JD-7

Part 1:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQxeYQt1OAs&feature=related[/ame]
Part 2:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQaZQYxkW-s&feature=related[/ame]

These video have been posted before though.

I'm going to use my GCX to split my signal into my Herbert and SLOclone, then run each head into a seperate side on my 4x12....

Question for those that do this though.... How do you trust the venues sound guy to blend the 2 mics properly? Do you just tell him how much of each you want? Or just let him do it himself?

@ Wolfeman: I haven't yet played with two heads but I intend to (once I buy the second head), but I'd suggest adding your preferences to the bands Tech rider and giving that to the engineer before/during sound check.

When I played live as the only guitarist I used 2 amps, one on each side of the stage. Mainly I did this so my bassist and guitarist could hear a little better without having to blast my own ears out and making my amp sound like a woofy pile of much. I used my blue voodoo 1/2 stack (and usually borrowed a matching cab for a full stack) on my side... and I'd run direct out into a vintage Acoustic 135 2x12 open back also into a crate 2x15 bass cab. Both amps with different settings. I always hated having to rely on the live sound guys to mic up my cab correctly and stage monitors were always a joke so I decided to bring my own power. This worked especially well for festival gigs and allowed the sound guys to focus more on the drums and vocals.

A band i know went touring quickly after one of their guitar player left. It resulted in the remaining guitar player running 2 rigs live, as if the other guitar player was still there (he was using the ex-guitar player rig actually). So it was like :

Guitar player > Ibanez Universe (7 strings, stock pup's) > some splitter pedal > :

-left side of the stage : ENGL POWERBALL > RANDALL WARHEAD 4x12 + 2x15 CAB

-right side of the stage : ENGL RITCHIE BLACKMORE > ROCKTRON 4x10 (kinda weird i know but it sounded ok)

And his tone on stage was just CRUSHING when i saw them live. So basically he was using the same stuff than when the other guitar player was still in the band.

Can't remember how it was miked exactly though... (but for sure it was one mic on each rig cab)

I run a dual amp setup in my band. Since I'm the only guitarist, it helps fill the sonic spectrum a bit, and provide a little more thickness to the overall sound.

I use a Madison Divinity or Peavey XXX and my 6505+ both into Madison 4x12's with Vintage30's. I use a Radial BigShot ABY to switch for mine. The BigShot is IMO the best low priced ABY on the market. It has a switchable isolation transformer, plus switches for phase reverse and ground lift, so it works in any setting.

The Divinity sounds godly matched up with the 6505+. The XXX blends well, too (using a low gain setting/boost/ultra channel).

I just ask the soundman to mike up the amps as if there were 2 guitarists in the band...That seems easy enough for them to figure out.

Maybe the whole thing is cool for one guitarist. But with two in one band I think it could be a bit too much. When I got a decent splitter, I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the replies. :)

@hoehlentroll
Krass. Bei welcher Band hastn gespielt? Is schon lang her in Ludwigshafen. War aber n geiler Raum. Proben jetzt in Käfertal. Ihr?
Sind bestimmt noch mehr aus der Gegend hier, oder?
Der Fabz is doch auch von hier.

Monnnnnem :headbang:

Right now I save some money to buy a second amp for stage and recording-purposes. I'd love to add an JCM800 to my 6505, but they are highly overpriced at the moment, so I'm going for something else. I'm going to use my POD X3 Live as a splitter - hope that works good enough ;)

I know two bands where the guitarplayer uses two amps on stage. One of them uses the splitter extensively, giving his performance a lot more stereo-wideness. His guitar goes into a 5150 and an Engl Savage 120.
Another guy I know uses two Marshall Mode Four's simultaneosly.

we are two guitarrists in my band, but somtimes the other guy can´t play because his work, so when this happens, i use my sansamp psa with two amps, but not as splitter, i use its distortion and the L-R output to each amp, it sounds thicker, it do the job.

check out Veil of Maya (Sumerian records), and Reflux (now broken up, whos vocalist founded the aforementioned label and the bass player plays for Animosity?)... anyways, I've seen both of their guitarists and boy, do they do a great job implementing stereo setups and phrase samplers on stage, though I don't exactly know the details of the signal chains...

Reflux (now broken up, whos vocalist founded the aforementioned label and the bass player plays for Animosity?)

Didn't know they parted ways even if i haven't heard from them in ages.

The Reflux guitar player was awesome actually, and using boss loop station live or something as you mentioned. This guy is a virtuoso. Didn't realize Animosity's latest bass player was formerly in Reflux (i LOVE Animosity). Animosity's lead guitar player Frank Costa is an awesome guitar player as well, so is their drummer :)

Those dudes are like ... 20 years old or something and they're just amazing.

Sorry for the OT