2 Guitars vs. 2 Amps

dabhoys

Oct 12, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
Going to be tracking some guitars in the next week and currently having a debate with my mate. We plan on doing 2 takes of 2 different amps. But the question is if we should use a different guitar for each rig. I'd prefer personally to do all 4 rhythm tracks with the same guitar in the 2 two different amps. I'll be using a Gibson Les Paul Custom with a SH-4 in the bridge. My favourite :)

Will I get enough tonal difference with the same guitar into the 2 rigs as opposed to 2 seperate guitars...

Just wondering what people's experience and preference on this is?

Cheers...

How good is the player and how difficult are the tunes.

I did this recently and it worked for me, but I was the only guitar player.

3 different takes, Fender 57 twin, JCM800 and POD, with Gibson, Ibanez, Fender guitars

Two different guitar players trying to nail the same track - if its quick and complex can end up messy.

Test it out and see :D

yeah same guitar for ease of tuning and intonation, however my mate has had luck with the sh-4 and emg 81 combo. I can imagine that being a great sound, as both have a cool midrange about them.

I would use one guitar, but that's just because my performance would vary too much from axe to the next. two different amps would give you plenty of difference in tone.

I'm going to be doing all the rhythm tracks. There is another guitarist but he can't play to a click so hence I'll be doing the whole lot. I've no problem playing tight to a click. I think we'll stick with the single guitar and into the two amps.

We have the Dual Rect and ENGL Powerball. As well as a Fender roc pro we might use too and see how it turns out..

On the last album we used 2 different guitars for the first time. I don't recommend it. It turned out ok, but we spent too much time between each and every song to make sure they both were equally intonated et cetera.

Earlier we have used one guitar, but 2 amps... or the same amp but different settings. That was a lot easier and sounded equally good.

For rhythms, a single kicking guitar tracking 2 amps is perfect. For clean tracks and overdub lines then using different guitars is essential. I have one guitar - hardtail that is my main recording rhythm axe. I have one that is my main one , with Floyd, for solos and some clean tracks. Then there is "the clean machine" strat that I only use for clean parts and some overdubs where single coils work with mild gain.

what if there are two guitar players, 2 tracks each? should they both use the same guitar, or can they use their individual main axes?
i suppose they could use their own if the tracks are panned 2xleft for the 1st and 2xright for the 2nd player, but i can see the possibility of intonation issues when both are panned left and right.