two guitars being blended in the mix

MultiM

Jun 28, 2013
Paris, France
Hey Guys :) :
when I try to mix my rhythm and lead guitar, the rhythm guitar really get lost in the lead guitar, it doesn't really appear clear, the two guitars are in the same octave and the lead guitar's notes are close to the rhythm guitar power chords. maybe that's a reason.

what should I do? equalizing maybe? high pass/low pass maybe?

p.s : I render the lead track and render the rhythm track then mix them together.

automate an EQ that cuts clashing frequencies on the rythm guitars at that passage and maybe add some peaks in the mid/hi mid region on the lead guitar.
or make some frequencie holes on the rythm and boost the same on the lead guitar.

Just want to know how to achive this in a live situation?

"Automate an EQ that cuts clashing frequencies on the rythm guitars at that passage and maybe add some peaks in the mid/hi mid region on the lead guitar.
or make some frequencie holes on the rythm and boost the same on the lead guitar."

I'm saying if you don't have a pro engineer and a super pro equipment.

automate an EQ that cuts clashing frequencies on the rythm guitars at that passage and maybe add some peaks in the mid/hi mid region on the lead guitar.
or make some frequencie holes on the rythm and boost the same on the lead guitar.

Thanks pal, but you mean by making frequencies holes, for example like cutting at 1500Hz on the Rhythm and boosting the same frequency on the lead guitar?

What egan. said.

Just want to know how to achive this in a live situation?

"Automate an EQ that cuts clashing frequencies on the rythm guitars at that passage and maybe add some peaks in the mid/hi mid region on the lead guitar.
or make some frequencie holes on the rythm and boost the same on the lead guitar."

I'm saying if you don't have a pro engineer and a super pro equipment.

Both guitarists may use an EQ pedal. Or both use different channels on their amps for that part and adjust the sound.

Run it through different rigs, easiest solution. Whether it's another amp, another IR or something like that, just make sure it isn't the exact same rig. Also, try panning them slightly at different directions. Also, what the above guys said, try boosting a frequency on the lead, and cut it at the rythm, and then do the same thing on the rythm guitar, helps make it slightly more seperated.

There is no engineering solution to an arrangement problem unfortunately.

This. Sometimes in a middle of a recording I find that some arrangement gets too messy. It sucks just realizing this in the record process but usually I stop recording and start working on a solution. Of course I do this with personal projects.

The most easy solution that you may try, it´s doing the lead one octave up. Or play the rhythm guitar in a way that give space to the lead. Like palm mute all the time, when the lead plays. I know sometimes it´s not the better in terms of composition or creativity. But in the end, will benefit the process of mixing, audition and perception.

Tell the rhythm guitarist its time to step back. He will get another chance to shine in 30 seconds.