How do experts mix Metal guitars?

I plan on doing this for my band's EP. But not entirely different tones. Probably a 6505 left + 5150 right with the same settings or maybe just two different boost pedals.
I find when using the same player for rhythms with the same settings for both tracks it can "mono" out pretty easily, losing the stereo depth (but using two different players changes the tones a bit too much for my case even with the same settings. All in the hands.)

uhhh. not to be a dick, but uhh...the 6505 and the 5150 are like, the same amp design. the difference is a 6505+/5150+ vs 6505/5150. the only difference you would get is through different settings, cabs, or overdrives.

uhhh. not to be a dick, but uhh...the 6505 and the 5150 are like, the same amp design. the difference is a 6505+/5150+ vs 6505/5150. the only difference you would get is through different settings, cabs, or overdrives.

Not true. Every amp can sound a little different. Chances are they have different tubes too. Even if they are the same tubes they will sound a little different.

There are bands who use whole different tones left and right - it's quite an old school thing to do tho, so perhaps not appropriate unless that's what you're aiming for.
Mastodon did it on Blood Mountain, Cathedral on The Ethereal Mirror to name two, but both those bands would consciously have been going for a retro rock-sounding product. What sort of style stuff are you writing?

Here is something I did recently using the pocket pod so dunno if you can get a good sound with it but something still not quite right about it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2761574/236.mp3

Not true. Every amp can sound a little different. Chances are they have different tubes too. Even if they are the same tubes they will sound a little different.

I guess in that sense yes. But the difference (unless the tubes are really different) is going to be really close to un-noticeable. using a different overdrive would be a much bigger difference, IMO. and even that is going to be a pretty small difference.

Here is something I did recently using the pocket pod so dunno if you can get a good sound with it but something still not quite right about it.

Ok so listening to your clip you're clearly going for more of a modern/core style thing, so the stuff I'm talking about wouldn't really suit. You could try something more along the lines of what Clarke mentioned - two different amps on your left and right but similar gain and tone settings.
On the clip you posted the separation isn't too bad tho, you just need to dial in a better tone. No help there I'm afraid - kinda what everyone is trying to do :)

Ok so listening to your clip you're clearly going for more of a modern/core style thing, so the stuff I'm talking about wouldn't really suit. You could try something more along the lines of what Clarke mentioned - two different amps on your left and right but similar gain and tone settings.
On the clip you posted the separation isn't too bad tho, you just need to dial in a better tone. No help there I'm afraid - kinda what everyone is trying to do :)

Yeah zacly, cool man appreciate it, will def try different sounds either side, makes sense, thanks to kev, clark, reddog & vinny too, wicked info.

I guess in that sense yes. But the difference (unless the tubes are really different) is going to be really close to un-noticeable. using a different overdrive would be a much bigger difference, IMO. and even that is going to be a pretty small difference.

If you read my post, I stated that I wasn't going for necessarily a noticeably different tone, but just slight difference that will add a bit more depth. The difference between a 5150 and a 6505 is enough to get a wider stereo presence than just using the same amp for both L/R, but not too different that it skews trade-offs or just won't blend well.

If you read my post, I stated that I wasn't going for necessarily a noticeably different tone, but just slight difference that will add a bit more depth. The difference between a 5150 and a 6505 is enough to get a wider stereo presence than just using the same amp for both L/R, but not too different that it skews trade-offs or just won't blend well.

I think what the dude was getting was more of the idea that the 5150 and 6505 are the same amp, same voicing...And the differences you may hear are the differing tubes, settings, etc. (if played through the same cab with the same mic position).

The difference between a 5150 and a 6505 is their name ONLY...the amp is exactly the same. obviously component differences will be there due to tolerances in production, and the tubes could be different, but I'd agree that it would be pretty small differences in the larger mix...Almost to the point of not making it worth the effort to switch out amps. Just move some knobs on the same amp for one of the tracks, lol.

I know, but I only do that whenever I have both available at the same. They don't sound EXACTLY the same in my experience and as can be shown in several shootouts around here, but as you said that is mainly due to QC, tubes, etc. It's just how I do it. And again, it's just for a bit more width, nothing drastic.

But most of the time I just use a different boost (Maxon OD and Fulldrive MOSFET). I just use the different amps when they are readily available and when I feel like it :).

bPS1E.gif

What does it mean "How do experts mix metal guitars"???? there's no a unique way of mixing guitars. I can tell you how i mix my gtrs,Joey Sturgis can tell you,Andy Sneap can tell you,and many others can tell you,but whatever way of mixing you use,it'll never be right if you don't know why you did it. you have to know why you use every single instrument(compressor,limiter,etc...)you can't copy and paste settings or technique,you have to find your one and learn when and why you have to use each instrument. i did the same mistake too. i always continued to ask settings or chains and my mix always shitted! when i started to do things by ear everything changed!!

i pan the guitars 100% L/R and for metal they always have the same sound and settings,if i record 4 guitars then i might add a different amp
6505 and dual rectifier sounds amazing together.
but anyway it's a matter of taste there's no need to copy each others ideas

What does it mean "How do experts mix metal guitars"???? there's no a unique way of mixing guitars. I can tell you how i mix my gtrs,Joey Sturgis can tell you,Andy Sneap can tell you,and many others can tell you,but whatever way of mixing you use,it'll never be right if you don't know why you did it. you have to know why you use every single instrument(compressor,limiter,etc...)you can't copy and paste settings or technique,you have to find your one and learn when and why you have to use each instrument. i did the same mistake too. i always continued to ask settings or chains and my mix always shitted! when i started to do things by ear everything changed!!

Truth.