Two-Notes Torpedo Reload - 1st use questions

Barnsy

New Metal Member
Jun 15, 2014
Sydney Australia
Hi Everyone

I have a new mix space that is not great for loud amp tracking so have explored load boxes and cab sims and acquired a Torpedo Reload. I plugged in in for a test today and have a few questions for any other users.

I registered the serial number and downloaded the Wall Of Sound III plugin which takes care of the cab and mic sim - is it correct that as a reload owner I only get 2 cabinets as part of my purchase? I get no bass cabs to start with?

If I am to purchase more cabs from the Two Notes store, is there a way I can demo them on a non internet connected DAW? Also, it states that you get discounts on multiple cab purchases, but I cannot seem to figure out how this price break works.. any tips on how to get best value?

I noticed there is a freeware Two Notes cab available (Torpedo PI-FREE), is this just the same as the 4x12 cabinet that I now have in WoSIII?

When I tested my unit today, I noticed that I could hear a rattle and even a small amount of guitar tone emitting form the Reload unit in sympathy with the guitar playing - is this just the way the load box part works?

Are there cabinets that are considered the best ones to get when purchasing additional impulses? Favourite bass cabs?

Thanks for any info, hope to put the Reload through it's paces properly this week with some guitar tracking sessions.

Barnsy

I registered the serial number and downloaded the Wall Of Sound III plugin which takes care of the cab and mic sim - is it correct that as a reload owner I only get 2 cabinets as part of my purchase? I get no bass cabs to start with?

Two Notes said:
The Torpedo Reload comes with the Wall of Sound III plug-in and your first 24 speaker cabinets: in conjunction with the Torpedo Reload and your beloved guitar or bass amplifier, the WoS III plug-in will achieve absolutely true-to-life studio miking of your amp.

You can also load in your own IRs.

Torpedo PI-Free is an ooooold free version of the 1st versions of this software.
It's juste EL34 sim + Marshall Slash 4x12 V30 + SM57.
Forget about it, as you'll get this cab and much more in the Wos III.

Wrong, with your Torpedo Reload, you get access to 24 cabinets with a special Wos III Reload edition plugin.
The "2 cab only" is kind of a free gift everyone get with the Wos III plugin.

Check this :
http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-reload/#baffles

Thanks guys, I will re download the licence file and try again. 24 cabs sounds much better!

Anyone used it for bass? Can't seem to find many youtube vids with bass and the Reload.

with your Torpedo Reload, you get access to 24 cabinets with a special Wos III Reload edition plugin.
The "2 cab only" is kind of a free gift everyone get with the Wos III plugin.

I have redownloaded the licence file, and I am sure I have installed the correct VST plugin, but even after re installing everything and re applying the licence file, all I get are those 2 cabs.

plugscreen.jpg

I am not sure why it will not give me the initial 24 cabs you speak of. I thought maybe the licence file I was applying had something wrong and it only had 2 cabs, but if I launch the plugin without any licence file it will not even load, it needs some kind of licence to fire up at all.

Also I notice the current licence I have been trying seems to be a trail version?
licencetrial.jpg

I am not sure what is missing, as when I download my licence file I have to put in the serial number from the inside of the reload manual which should tell Two Notes I get a full licence for WoS..? I will open a support ticket with Two Notes..

From the user guide :
1.2 Registering Torpedo Wall of Sound
Torpedo Wall of Sound requires registering on the Two Notes website. During the installation process,
you will be asked to create a new profile, then you will be able to download a license and activate
you plugin online. Offline activation is also possible — please follow the instructions given during
installation.
Additional video tutorials on how to install and register Torpedo Wall of Sound can be found on
the Two Notes website: http://www.two-notes.com/en/software/torpedo-wall-of-sound-3/#tuto.

Did you create an account on their website ?
Did they give you a special licence number with your reload ?

An important thing to understand is that Wos III is a "free" plugin in it's empty state (with the 2 free cabs and poweramp sim), a bit like Guitar Rig, Slate VMR....etc.
Then, you have to buy new cabs, or register to bring back some cabs you already own.

Anyone used it for bass? Can't seem to find many youtube vids with bass and the Reload.
I don't own a Reload (yet) but I'm a long time WoS user.
I often use it on bass, it's pretty versatile for this.

Pretty much all bass cabs are great in this, but Calif Low and Fridge are often the ones I use, with M160 and/or SM57.
Depends a lot on your bass chain before the plugin though... (DI only, sansamp, bass amp, guitar preamp...etc), and of course, the sound you're after in the end.
The great thing with this plugin is that you can really go crazy with stacking things, poweramp settings, using multiple cabs, mics...etc, if you have a very precise sound in mind.
This plugin allows you to experiment a lot.

EDIT : oh and about guitar cabs... some are really greats, some are pure shit (forget about the Mesa OS 4x12 closed back if you're after the classic modern metal sound, to me it never sounded right - I'm talking about this IR version, not about the real cab).
I think the ENGL cab is much better for this, the H&K with Greenbacks too if you're after a smoother sound. The Marshalls are greats too. Just try them all and see what works best with your amps...etc.

Also, I think the real power of this plugin is in it's library of 1x12 and 2x12 cabs, that you don't see pretty often anywhere else.
Very handy for clean / crunch sounds IMHO (that's what I use this plugin for most of the time).

Yeah I created an account, and also put in the serial number from the inside sleeve of the manual for the Reload, so I would have thought that would give me a full licence file.

Great to hear it's got the goods on bass cabs.

Then, you have to launch the plugin, and go under
User > Add Two Notes Activation code
Then type your user code and click "add".
It should automatically download all your cabs to the plugin.

Did you do that or you just created an account on their website ?

I've copied the cabinet files over and they register now.. but I am still getting licence issues. Every time I load an instance of WoSIII it needs me to offline activate again. Even within the same DAW session, add a track and add a new instance of Wos, even though it has been registered on another track in the same session, needs the whole activation process again.. kinda frustrating in a tracking session.

Hi guys,

I'm about to buy the torpedo reload, but I have few questions :

Today, my chains are :
Guitar --> API512C --> MOTU Ultralite --> Recabinet 4 or other
Bass --> Avalon U5 --> MOTU Ultralite --> Ampeg SVX --> Recabinet 4

How can I use API for guitar, where must I place it in the chain for better sound? Directly after the guitar, same as today? I won't use my amp each time, so it offers me more options, isn't it? Some other ideas?
Same question for bass & U5, and I also had a B7K in my chain. What would be best chain? I don't own any bass amp. I always treat it ITB. U5 is great for DI, & B7K for OD. But I want to use the reload too, 'cause I can borrow some Ampeg bass amp to reamp.

Finally, question is : what would be best chain to have the more options with best sound.

Hope you can help me, I'm a little lost within all options offered to me.

Thx guys!