New Two Notes Reload - loadbox, DI, reamping, attenuator all in one

Temps

Aug 13, 2008
Looks pretty neat to me

http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-reload/

Ola did a video with it already. Sounds pretty good but I dunno about the Wall of Sound plugin audio quality..

I used a hotplate for awhile for loadbox/attenuation/direct recording from power amp and was seriously disappointed in the quality of the hardware. It died after only about six months. It sounded pretty good though, quality impulses plus the real tube power amp.

I never noticed until lately that Torpedo stuff does not actually record from the power amp.. you run direct from a preamp out and get the power amp sound from cab models.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never noticed until lately that Torpedo stuff does not actually record from the power amp.. you run direct from a preamp out and get the power amp sound from cab models.

not true

I'm currently running my Triaxis / Simul 2:90 setup into my Torpedo Live. You have the option of disabling the onboard power amp sim in favor of your real power amp of choice. Same for the rest of their as far as I know. In addition, the WoS plugin is not required to use any of this stuff ... I use custom presets on my TLive matched to my specific presets from my Triaxis or 5150. The WoS plugin is just a plugin extension of the onboard cab / mic IRs and their options

not true

I'm currently running my Triaxis / Simul 2:90 setup into my Torpedo Live. You have the option of disabling the onboard power amp sim in favor of your real power amp of choice. Same for the rest of their as far as I know. In addition, the WoS plugin is not required to use any of this stuff ... I use custom presets on my TLive matched to my specific presets from my Triaxis or 5150. The WoS plugin is just a plugin extension of the onboard cab / mic IRs and their options

Just read the manual and you are right. Maybe it's the French-English translation on the website but it wasn't really all that clear.

Are you happy with the way the Torpedo sounds?

I love it dude ... I'm still tweaking my custom presets here and there but it definitely delivers the goods and being able to use my actual power amp is a big + for me cause like most people will attest, the Simul 2:90 is an almost integral part of the "correct" Triaxis sound

That and the reamp in complete silence thing if I wish is pretty cool

I posted a short work in progress clip for some buddies the other day and the answer I got was:
"As far as the tone goes, I'll put it this way:
It's so fat and juicy that I'd love to hit it and see how long it jiggles, just like a fine booty! YUMMIE!"

:)

EDIT:

here's a couple of really sloppy clips of me testing out some presets I made on the TLive with my Triaxis. Quad tracked and again, quite sloppy but you can hear how the range of possibilities ... oh yeah, completely raw, no EQ other than a hi / low pass

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/594184/Triaxis Torpedo Test 2.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/594184/Triaxis Torpedo Test 3.mp3

Sounds real good. Nice!

I just ordered up a Reload so I'll do some tone tests when it shows up

The "Wall of Sound III" ist fantastic!
It's freeware and comes with two cabinets. You can easily upgrade with other cabinets for +/- €8 per cabinet and you can also load your own IRs.
It's currently my preferred IR loader.

The level matching and reamping thing sounds awesome.. Although I think 750
is pretty damn expansive. I mean where is this (loadbox wise) better than something like this http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/PLB-2-X-8-Dual-Loadbox-2-x-8-Ohms-PLB2X8.htm combined with a di box?

Well 1st of all it's not restricted to 8 ohms and if you read up on it you'll see it's a lot more than just a load box. The versatility and workflow options really make it a great investment. Just my opinion. I don't have the Reload, just the Torpedo Live but it seems to offer a bit more

It also supports 16ohms on mono afaik^^ But you're right, the additional stuff is great. I'm just not sure if it's worth that much money to me :)

Just got mine today, just messed around with the loadbox recording for all of 25 minutes. Very encouraging ... with some dialing in, this is going to sound super sick. Blows my old Hot Plate out of the water completely

and its numbered 39 of 50? strange. didn't know it was limited edition.

only annoyance so far - there is no pass through from the Torpedo's instrument in to the amp. so you have to run instrument in -> DI out to interface -> interface back out to amp. adds one more cable to the setup that I think they could have done without

Looks like a really cool unit.
Want to buy one since a long time, to replace my Redeye + Type85 + ToneHound loadbox (which is great but not TOTALLY silent as it's real HP in a closed box).
Hope this all-in-one product will sound better than all of this.
The attenuation option will be a bonus.

Really cool options for guitar tracking, as you can record DIs, then reamp with this cool level match feature and record mics in front of the cab with the attenuation coloration options + poweramp signal of the amp at the same time.

The only thing that is lacking is a thru option on the DI part, like Temps said.
You can only do that by using the pre DAW send, at the cost of an AD/DA conversion.

About the WoS plugin it's a matter of taste... I own it since the early versions, I like some cabs IRs and some way less. Very cool for cleans and crunch tones, as there are some vintage cabs and HPs that you don't find everywhere.
The poweramp amp sim, microphone placement, stacking options and overload + variphi features are very nice and flexible.

For hi gain stuff, I usually go for Nebula cabs or classic IRs (don't really like the Mesa 4x12 or Bogner 4x12 in WoS... but there is a cool H&K greenback 4x12 cab, and the Engl cab is not that bad, depending on the tone you're after).

About the price, it's a bit expensive like every TwoNotes products as it's made in France, not in China or something like that, and I hope it uses quality components.
Hope I'll soon have the cash to buy one !