Two Notes, Kemper, or Something Else?

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
I'm going to be moving in a few months from a house into an apartment and will no longer be able to conveniently mic up my guitar cab. I will be keeping the cab - it just won't be easily accessible on a daily basis.

Coincidentally, I've started hearing more and more about the Two Notes Torpedo Live even though it's a few years old at this point. Would it be worth getting one of these, taking an impulse of my cab before I move, and then using my 5150 with the Torpedo Live in the apartment? Or would a Torpedo Reload be a better investment, since I could just use an impulse of my cab on my computer?

Or is it better to just get a Kemper and profile my whole rig before I move?

Or should I suck it up, and transport my desktop computer and audio interface every time I want to record guitar? Is there some other solution I'm not considering?

I've been lucky enough to get to use and learn how to mic up a cab properly since I started recording as a teenager, but times change, and now I'm moving "backwards" and think I will have to resort to modeling and impulses until I can afford to buy a home with a studio space.

Your input is appreciated!

I'm not a big fan of the Kemper or Axe-Fx type stuff.

Make an impulse of your cab or buy one of the many great ones from OwnHammer. Stay away from the Torpedo Live. You want to get a reactive load box. Either the Suhr one or the new Two Notes Captor are great choices. The Reload is another great choice, but way more expensive.

That's what I would do.

I'm not a big fan of the Kemper or Axe-Fx type stuff.

Make an impulse of your cab or buy one of the many great ones from OwnHammer. Stay away from the Torpedo Live. You want to get a reactive load box. Either the Suhr one or the new Two Notes Captor are great choices. The Reload is another great choice, but way more expensive.

That's what I would do.

Hmm, the Torpedo Live is a reactive loadbox

Reactions: TRUIE
I'm going to be moving in a few months from a house into an apartment and will no longer be able to conveniently mic up my guitar cab. I will be keeping the cab - it just won't be easily accessible on a daily basis.

Coincidentally, I've started hearing more and more about the Two Notes Torpedo Live even though it's a few years old at this point. Would it be worth getting one of these, taking an impulse of my cab before I move, and then using my 5150 with the Torpedo Live in the apartment? Or would a Torpedo Reload be a better investment, since I could just use an impulse of my cab on my computer?

Or is it better to just get a Kemper and profile my whole rig before I move?

Or should I suck it up, and transport my desktop computer and audio interface every time I want to record guitar? Is there some other solution I'm not considering?

I've been lucky enough to get to use and learn how to mic up a cab properly since I started recording as a teenager, but times change, and now I'm moving "backwards" and think I will have to resort to modeling and impulses until I can afford to buy a home with a studio space.

Your input is appreciated!

I wouldn't do the Kemper unless you sold the entire rig or weren't using it for a very long time - if you are or can fork out the dough, it's probably the most elegant solution. I think the Two Notes is a good but rather expensive option, and an "old school" guy like you may be less than pleased with the results. If it'll be temporary, you could consider the audio interface and desktop, knowing you'll go back to your own signal chain in the near future.

I would go Kemper. It's the best studio purchase I have ever done, and I'm still buying amps. For the Kemper to shine you need amps. I use my Kemper at home, and the amps in the studio. Super convenient.

+1 for Kemper. I don't have one yet and have very limited experience with it but I loved the one I was able to tinker with. Right now I'm only using plugins because of my living situation. But I will own a Kemper at some point.

The captor will cost around $230 and considering the two notes quality it will worth the investment.