Two-Notes Torpedo.. to buy? Well lets test some shit to decide!

Yeah, i definately will be. Only had an hour or so to play with it last night.

This weekend it will cop a proper workout.

I need to work out how to nail a punk rock type tone (Rise against, story so far, etc) and a generic pop punk tone while im going.

punk rock type tone (Rise against, story so far, etc)

Try out the mesa open cab with the Royer 121, VHT 412 with Royer 121, engl 412 and marshall 412 cabs with SM57s/BlueDragonfly/RibbonM160/Royer 121/MD421.

Marshall cabs with the U87 mic might be cool too.

And last but not least : some of the vox cabs with Royer 121 and Ribbon M160.

EDIT : at least that's what works with my rig for the way i like punk rock riffing to sound like (bright, detailed, chunky, not too smooth)

Try out the mesa open cab with the Royer 121, VHT 412 with Royer 121, engl 412 and marshall 412 cabs with SM57s/BlueDragonfly/RibbonM160/Royer 121/MD421.

Marshall cabs with the U87 mic might be cool too.

And last but not least : some of the vox cabs with Royer 121 and Ribbon M160.

EDIT : at least that's what works with my rig for the way i like punk rock riffing to sound like (bright, detailed, chunky, not too smooth)

cheers, i'l give that a try.

Gonna have to try dialling my amps out of my used and abused metal settings lol.

Was one of the main reasons i picked up the jvm, should be perfect for this style

I seem to have trouble with the WoS Modern plugin lacking low-end. The guitars come out much more thin than when recorded with Vintage 30/SM57. I would really like to get a Torpedo Live for home recording demos, etc. But, the WoS plugin hasn't really won me over. I'm using the preamp out of a 5150 III 50w into the plugin, so maybe the fact that the poweramp isn't processing through the plugin is what's holding things back.

I seem to have trouble with the WoS Modern plugin lacking low-end. The guitars come out much more thin than when recorded with Vintage 30/SM57. I would really like to get a Torpedo Live for home recording demos, etc. But, the WoS plugin hasn't really won me over. I'm using the preamp out of a 5150 III 50w into the plugin, so maybe the fact that the poweramp isn't processing through the plugin is what's holding things back.

what are your WOS poweramp settings ?

the depth knob and triode/pentode modes can make a big difference regarding the low-end

not to mention the low cut/eq (and of course which cab you miked and the mic position) but i guess you know that already :)

You should :
- use a DI after the preamp send, sometimes/often it sounds a bit better in the low end than going straight to line in.
- use the poweramp simulation on the plugin. The Input gain on the plugin must be as close as possible to 0, then try some 6L6 PP (or any other type, but this one is great if you lack some low end, the KT88 can be a great option too), add some drive and play with depth / presence settings to bring back some low end.

Hi guys, new to the site and noticed this thread.

My current setup ( for late nigh jamming )

Ibanez Rg7 with Dimarzio crunchlab and liquifire pickups. - mxr smart gate - Mxr dyna comp - Mxr el torino overdrive - mxr fullbore metal - Torpedo cab - e.q. - Line 6 ux1 ( comp interface to be soon replaced with a scarlet ) . Using headphones primarily as the neighbor is a sound Nazi.. remedied soon cause we bought a house. I use ezdrummer 2 for precussion. Played acoustic for 17 years and electric for about 2 now.

I had noticed the low end issues with the torpedo ( mentioned in earlier posts ) and find that having a compressor pedal allows me to find the sweet spot where breakup is articulate and also heavy.. I use the o.d. pedal for shaping the mid- high and the fullbore to shape the mid- bass primarily. so far love this setup .

Two notes has mentioned previously that the Presence and depth controls are not named well.. presence ends up essentially being a volume control where depth is the level of bass ( not exactly but somewhat like that )

Two notes has mentioned previously that the Presence and depth controls are not named well.. presence ends up essentially being a volume control where depth is the level of bass ( not exactly but somewhat like that )
If presence is a volume, what does volume knob do in your opinion, a master volume?
Any explanation for all knobs, what they do to the tone?

Really sceptical about this... (Presence and Depth knobs)
Any link from TwoNotes that confirm this ?

To me Presence definitely NOT behave like a volume knob, but I didn't use it since a few years now so I might be wrong (mainly working with full heads so I don't use the PA sim anymore).

Here is what's written in the EN user manual from here (p.18) :
http://dl.two-notes.net/downloads/EN_MANUAL_torpedo_WoSIII.pdf
• Master Volume : Set up the output volume of your virtual power amplifier.
• Presence : This setting affects the tube-stage frequency.
• Depth : This setting affects the tube-stage frequency (bandwidth).

Funny thing is that the french manual says something a bit different about Presence and Depth (still p.18).
http://dl.two-notes.net/downloads/FR_MANUAL_torpedo_WoSIII.pdf
• Presence : Ce réglage joue sur la réponse en fréquence de l’étage de puissance, en particulier sa bande passante.
• Depth : Ce réglage joue sur la réponse en fréquence de l’étage de puissance, en particulier les fréquences basses.
Here's my dirty translation :
• Presence : This setting affects the tube-stage frequency response, specifically its bandwith.
• Depth : This setting affects the tube-stage frequency response, specifically low end frequencies.

Seems more accurate to me.

@ViTAR : yeah, to me the volume knob behave like a master volume for the power amp section. The more you push it, the more saturation (and volume) you get. If you need to push it crazy loud, you still can compensate on the "master" output knob of the plugin on the far right.

Last edited:
Reactions: ViTAR
Truie pretty much nailed it.. the two notes rep said that turning down depth also affects the bass, adnd that the presance was badly named as it did not really affect the shrill ness of the amp but more the frequencys and volume.. turning it down apparently adds some bass ( or something like that ) it has been a long while since I talked to them.. I wish they made bread though... I would have two notes toast for breakfast if they did :)

What Are you guys running into your Cab's? Im fairly new to gear.. only played electric for a year and a bit.. been playing Guitar for over 20 though... so not total shit . lolz.. primary present musical influences.
Angel Vivaldi
Animals as leaders.
If these trees could talk
Plini
scale the summit
paul warding ham
Paul gilbert
Buckethead..

.. Primarily love metal instrumentals... Do like Carcass Vocals and older Arch enemy... and others,. though I find metal better without vocals usually.

pink floyd made me pick a guitar up... opeth directed me years later. :)

I don't use the Torpedo CAB hardware but the WoS plugin in a studio setup, with Marshalll JMP1 and Mesa V-Twin rack guitar preamps + Peavey 5150 and Jet City JCA50H heads.