Two questions

Kohlrabihaus

Minister of Silly Walks
Sep 13, 2004
www.myspace.com
Hi people!
I recently have 2 questions:

1. since we are planning to go into recording studio and we would like to use some samples from films. Like Iced Earth used a sample of the movie "Bram Stoker´s Dracula" in the song "Burnt Offerings" during intro.

Is ther some law that forbidds sampling from movies or tv series, or can you just go for it?

2. Since we have some classical musicians performing on the record but eventually can´t play with them live, we thought about using a click track, while those things come from a back track tape...

but the thing is:
how does it work??? I know that Jag Panzer are using a system to play some of the epic "thane to the throne" songs with bells and violins and stuf...
Pain of Salvation played the entire "BE- Live" stage performance on a click track, while massive tracks where running from a backing DVD...very impressive, but nobody explained what is needed.. please help me out!!!! i hope to get an answer, soon, because we will hit the studio in june, haha:Spin: ... okay take yor time :loco:

Kohlrabihaus said:
Hi people!
I recently have 2 questions:

1. since we are planning to go into recording studio and we would like to use some samples from films. Like Iced Earth used a sample of the movie "Bram Stoker´s Dracula" in the song "Burnt Offerings" during intro.

Is ther some law that forbidds sampling from movies or tv series, or can you just go for it?

As far as I know there are no law against sampling from movies or tvseries. But you gotta pay for using it. Don`t know how it works.:confused:
Just know that my uncle get a few bucks from a place called TONO cause some musicians uses the songs he`s a author to.

For question number 2, you can do a few things. I know a band that use an IPOD to playback the click and samples (choir), I know a band that uses laptops to control the click, samples and midi, and I know a band that uses a cd player to playback click and samples. The simplest setup is probably an mp3 player/ipod that has a splitter from the headphone jack. One wire would go to the drummer, the other would go to the house p.a. system. The file would have to be recorded in stereo though, left channel would be click and right would be samples. I've bugged Chris about this a few times and I'm sure he has some good advice on what works better, for copyrighting as well.

Hey Kohlrabihaus,
1. technically using any copywriten material is forbidden unless you have a signed contract from the company that owns the material allowing you to use it. I would have to asume that I.E paid for those clips they used on Burnt Offerings. Now some would say it wouldn't matter if you never intend to profit from the CD you use it on.
2. Metalguitar84 has it right. the simplest way to go is to use an mp3 player and split the left right channels (one for the click to the drummer, and the other for samples to the house).

Take care, Chris.

thanks alot... i can see clearer now :Spin:

now, the copyright question would be: how do i get in contsct with those who are responsable? or do i have to assume, that this is something, signed bands can have easier than unsigned... :erk:

the sample thing sounds logic to me, and will work for the beginning... i just need a Y- adapter/ cabel, am i right???

but i still wonder, how pain of salvation managed to get this stereo panorama for the backing track... ? all i now, they used a dvd... hm.. anyone an idea?

keep rocking...