U87 style mic or whatnot??

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Hey guys! My current staple Vocal mic is the Shure SM7! I love it, I really do!
But I love it on more aggressive/ in your face vocals. I find it doesn't quite catch the nuance of certain vocals I've had through here (Power metal/ really clean dudes) and on Females especially (Had a punk/ pop chick and a metal chick) and I just didn't like it.

By all accounts, I've enjoyed the outcome of a U87 in front on similar singers, but honestly, I just don't have THAT kind of money, I'm really just looking for a mic that can compliment the SM7 for the kinds of things I mentioned.

I've had a few people mention the Studio Projects C1. Anything else you guys can throw into the mix here?

Budget is around $400-500.

Cheers,
Chris

IME none of the clones actually sound anything like a u87, they just sort of look like them. I'd probably look for a used ksm44 or used gefell mt71 rather than trying to choose between the profusion of Chinese mics with different badges.

On a budget, I have the advanced audio cm87 and it's good for that same tone but can be picky with voices. I'm adding a Neumann tlm102 which is the next step up. Costs twice as much though. For the aa mic, use a warm preamp and you're golden.

i threw several different mics over a steinway D grand piano a few years back, and was pretty surprised to find that the AT 4033 sounded damned close to a U87.