UAD 1

Yes it is worth it. I have one, only I have the studio pack. The CS-1 is pretty cool, the Pultec is cool, but the pack you linked to is missing some good ones, like the LA2A and the 1176LN..... The 1176SE is usable and has less of a strain on the card, but the LN sounds way better...

Nice thing is, you can always buy extra plugs for it when you get the money....

You might be better off saving for the Flexi pack, since you get all those basic plug ins, plus a $500 voucher to go online and pick any others you want... A pretty good deal...

"a voucher $500 (USD) and 150$ (USD - online access after registration"

So that means your actually getting $650 worth after registration?

I still use my UAD-1 for every project, the plugins are why. If I could run them natively on my CPU with an iLok key, I would, but I doubt UA will ever do that. Eventually I will upgrade to UAD-2 but for now I am willing to deal with some occasional bouncing to be able to use what I consider to be the best plugin bundle at any price.

I have 3 x UAD-1 cards and that gives me more than enough juice for my purposes/track counts. I tend to mainly use the Neve 1073 EQ, 88RS Chan Strip, 1176LN, the Fairchild, and one instance of the EMT140, and don't hit the wall. The only constraint would be if I wanted to buy the Neve 33609 which is a real resource pig.

My card can run 8 instances of the 1176 LN.......

Edit- And just for a comparison, it can run 24 instances of the 1176SE at once...

If you were to have $500 worth to spend again on their plugins, what choices would you make? Since you guys know what sounds killer.

If you were to have $500 worth to spend again on their plugins, what choices would you make? Since you guys know what sounds killer.

Given the $500 limit, I'd have to say I'd probably invest in the Fairchild, the 1176LN, and the Precision Limiter. The EQ's and FX are nice, but the Compressors are where it's at with UAD plugs IMHO, and the Precision Limiter is probably my favourite plugin limiter.

In terms of other options: the Neve EQs are great but pricey. The 88RS Channel Strip is great and you can get a decent amount of instances. I haven't tried the SSL strip yet. If FX float your boat - the EMT140 is my favourite plugin reverb with the possible exception of Altiverb. The Drum Room preset is godly.

I've been saving up for a UAD-2 card... do you guys think it's worth it to save up for a Quad or just start with the cheap one?

It would depend on what plugins you want to use and the instance counts you're expecting. If you're running loads of tracks and want an eq and compressor on each....you'll probably end up needing more juice and wishing you'd gone with the Quad. If you have other native options or just want to use the Channel Strips, you might not need the more expensive Quad.

The UAD site has instance count numbers, so I'd just work out what plugins you're expecting to need and how many of 'em and go from there.

I don't have a UAD2 but both cards can be used together. There are also some plugs which don't work on the new model yet (e.g. Nigel) so some guys are hanging onto at least one of their UAD1 cards.

Which is better the Neve 1073 or 1081 EQ?

The 1073 seems to have fuck all too it tbh with only 3 bands including a shelf, I assume the sound must be immense for the price of it?

Am i missing something becuse.....

Who asked about latency?

He asked whether it was worth it... I say no... because of latency. The UAD-1 card has a buffer PER plugin; that means if you use 4 plugins on a track, that is 4x your soundcard buffer size in latency; if I recall correctly.

The UAD-2 introduces live monitoring mode to counteract that, but I've not heard anything about it to suggest it works any different.